How To Add Apps to the Dock on an iPad
The iPad Dock gives you quick access to your recent and frequently used apps and lets you switch easily between them. In conjunction, the latest versions of iOS for the iPad allow you to add more apps to your Dock than ever before.
If you’re using the most recent version of iOS, simply drag the app you wish to add from your Home screen towards the Dock, the other icons will make space for it to sit.
For earlier versions of iOS, tap and hold on the app icon, then click on the “Edit Home Screen” option from the menu that appears. All apps will begin to wiggle. Drag the app towards the Dock, where, again, space will be made for it.
How to Bring Up the Dock on an iPad
You can bring the Dock into view by slowly swiping the screen upwards from the bottom edge until it appears. Lift your finger once it’s displayed. Try not to swipe too far upwards or else the “App Switcher” may launch. And if you swipe too quickly you’ll return to the Home screen.
How to Add Apps to the Dock
For recent versions of iOS for iPad:
- Place your finger on the app you’d like to move to your Dock.
- Drag it towards the Dock. The Dock will make space for the app.
For earlier versions of iOS for iPad:
- From your Home screen, navigate to the page of icons that contain the app you wish to add to your Dock.
- Long-press on any app’s icon until a small menu appears.
- Click “Edit Home Screen.”
- Apps will start to wiggle and some will display an “X” in the top-left corner. This confirms you’re in edit mode.
- Chose the app you want to add, then drag it towards the Dock. The Dock will make space for the new app.
How to Move Apps Around the Dock
- From the Dock, tap the app icon you wish to move.
- Hold and drag it to the new position on your Dock, then release.
Manage Recently Used App Section
To disable or re-enable recently used apps on your iPad dock:
- Launch the “Settings” app.
- Navigate to the “Home Screen & Dock” option.
- Go to the “Show Suggested and Recent Apps” option.
- To the right, tap the toggle slider to disable or re-enable it.
When the feature is disabled, the apps that show up on your dock will only be the ones you’ve placed there.
How do I remove apps from the iPad dock?
To remove an app from your Dock:
• Drag the icon you wish to remove onto the home screen. Release it and it will disappear.
How do I show the dock while in an app?
To display your Dock while using an application:
· From the bottom of your screen, swipe upwards until the dock appears, then release.
· If you’re using an external keyboard, press the Command (⌘) key together with the Option and “D” key.
Your Favorite Apps Sitting on the Dock of Your iPad
The iPad Dock is a space for your frequently used apps, designed to save you from having to flick through the pages on your Home screen to find them. It’s also great for multi-tasking when switching between apps, turning your iPad into a mini laptop. Apple had made the process for adding, removing, and rearranging the Dock apps quick and straightforward.
Now that we’ve shown you how to add apps to your Dock and how to use some of the other multi-tasking features, what are some of the apps you enjoy using frequently? Did you end up moving lots of apps to your Dock? Let us know in the comments section below.