How to Get Local Channels on an LG TV
When watching your LG TV, you might notice local channels missing. As a solution, many use indoor antennas. But this isn’t the only method to watch all your favorite local channels. LG TV has tons of streaming apps on its Content Store to make the process easier. Once you have the right app, you can use it to watch your desired shows and TV programs.
Read on to learn how to get local channels on your LG TV.
How to Watch Local Channels Through Streaming Apps on Your LG TV
To watch local channels on your LG TV, you need to find the streaming service’s app on the Content Store. Before attempting this method, consider the channel you want to watch:
You can begin the process once you’ve decided on your desired local channel. Make sure your internet connection is stable so the download can complete itself successfully. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press the home button on your remote control.
- Navigate to the “Content Store” option from the bottom of the screen and press it.
- Select the “Apps” option at the top of the screen. It has a four squares icon next to it.
- Hold down the home option on your remote. A search bar should appear.
- Type in the name of the local channel you want to stream and press the search option. If the streaming service is available, it should appear.
- Select the app and then follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
Once the installation is finished, you can access the local channel through the app whenever you want. This method works great if you’re after a particular local channel rather than a handful of them. Simply launch the app and start streaming.
If the download isn’t working, consider deleting others to create more storage or updating your LG TV.
How to Get Local Channels Using an Antenna on LG TV
Let’s say you want all of the local channels but don’t want to store them as separate apps on your TV. Fortunately, you can get local channels on your LG TV the old-fashioned way by buying and using an antenna. There’s no need to purchase cutting-edge smart TV technology. A simple TV antenna with the basic features will do the trick.
Choosing the Right Over-the-Air Antenna for Your LG TV
Before selecting an antenna, you’ll need to ensure it has all the proper features, allowing you to receive your local channels without issue.
Most of these channels broadcast over the air, so the antenna method gives you the benefit of receiving and viewing them all. Here are some features to look for:
- Indoor antennas – Don’t go all out with an outdoor antenna. Indoor versions are cheaper and plug right into your TV. They might be weaker but will most likely receive a strong enough signal for local broadcasting stations.
- VHF and UHF frequency options – Most of your favorite local channels will broadcast on one of these two frequency bands or both.
- HD and 4K support – If you want to watch your favorite channels in HD, make sure your selected antenna supports this option.
- Mileage – To pick up on signals, antennas should range 20-30 miles. Amplified versions are 30-50 miles.
The features above allow you to receive clear TV reception and a wide range of local channels. Also, consider consulting professionals from your local stores that carry indoor antennas. They’ll be able to help you select the right option. If you live in an area with poor reception, you might consider buying an outdoor antenna.
Some examples of notable indoor antennas include:
- Antennas Direct ClearStream Flex – While not exactly thin and elegant, this indoor antenna has a radius of 50 miles and clear reception.
- Winegard Flat Wave Amped PRO TH-3000 – Slightly more powerful with a 60-mile radius, the TH-3000 blends with your room’s decor while also giving you your favorite channels.
- Mohu Arc – For those who prefer small options, the Mohu Arc can also broadcast local channels within a 40-mile radius.
You’ll also want to factor in the price when making the final decision. The average price range for indoor antennas is around $10.00-$60.00. This includes both cheaper stock options and devices that have stronger features. Indoor antennas can also be clunky, so you’ll want to opt for thinner lightweight options if they’re available.
How to Use Your Antenna with Your LG TV
Once you purchase your antenna, you’ll need to hook it up to your LG TV to watch all your favorite channels. Fortunately, this is a straightforward process. Before setting it up, consider the positioning. Most antennas work best close to an external wall or a window and as close to the TV as possible.
- Find the Antenna port located on the back of your LG TV.
- Plug in the coaxial cable from your antenna into the port.
- If your chosen antenna has an amplifier, plug it into a separate outlet.
- Turn on your LG TV, select the settings button, and select “All Settings” and “Channels.”
- Press the “Channel Scan” option and wait for your TV to finish looking for channels.
- Once complete, your TV will show how many channels are available. Use the volume buttons to navigate them and select the right one.
Now you’ll have multiple local channels available. If the reception is poor, you might have to reposition your new antenna before you get a clear picture. Consider plugging in the amplifier if you haven’t already. This is especially important if you live in an area that doesn’t get the best reception, such as a basement.
Do indoor antennas work, or should I buy an outdoor one?
The proximity of your location to broadcasting towers plays a big role in if you’re able to receive the channels. However, a strong indoor antenna is capable of getting good reception.
What if my local channel doesn’t have a streaming service?
If your local channel doesn’t have a streaming service on your LG TV, it might have one online. Consider searching their website or purchasing an indoor antenna to hook up with your LG TV.
Are Smart TVs compatible with indoor and outdoor antennas?
Most smart TV models are perfectly compatible with indoor and outdoor antennas. You simply need to locate the antenna port on the back of your LG TV and then perform a channel search.
Get Your Favorite Local Channels with Your LG TV
The easiest way to get local channels on your LG TV is to download the appropriate streaming services. However, this might take up too much storage. Instead, you can buy an indoor antenna. This allows you to receive most local channels available in your area. Once you hook it up with your LG TV, you can conduct a channel search through the settings options.
Have you ever tried to get your favorite local channels on your LG TV? Did you download their streaming app or purchase an indoor antenna? Let us know in the comments section below.