How To Make a Photo Collage on the iPhone
They say that a picture’s worth a thousand words. Well, a photo collage is worth ten thousand words! And, yes, you can create a photo collage right on your iPhone, which is cool.
Photo collages are a fantastic way to share more than one photo in a single post or share a story. There are hundreds of possible situations or scenarios where you will want to create and share a collage.
Maybe you just got a new puppy, or just got a number of new outfits you want to show off to your friends, or maybe it’s your child’s birthday. A photo collage is a great way to show people what you’re excited about right now.
While the iPhone does not have a built-in feature that lets you create a photo collage, of course, there’s an app for that. Well, more like there are dozens of apps for that.
What is the Best Photo Collage App for the iPhone?
With dozens of apps for creating a photo collage with your iPhone, it can be tough to pick which one to use.
We here at TechJunkie can help by narrowing down our picks to the four below, taking into account the following characteristics that we think are important:
- Recent updates to the app: Many photo collage apps have been abandoned, and do not work well with pictures taken on the iPhone 7 or newer.
- High star ratings: The apps listed below have an average star rating in the app store of 4+.
- A high number of star ratings: The best apps have a lot of users, so we ranked based on the number of star ratings each of these apps had received, meaning that a lot of people have used and rated all three of these apps.
- Free app functionality: Photo collage apps for the iPhone can be pricey, both to purchase and, after you buy it, to buy additional functionality through in-app purchases.
- Variety of photo collage layouts: The iPhone photo collage apps listed below come with dozens or hundreds of eye-pleasing options for laying out your pictures, ensuring you can find one that fits your image goals.
PhotoGrid Photo & Collage Maker
PhotoGrid is a video and picture collage creator, and a photo editor. With tens of millions of users, PhotoGrid is one of the best choices if you are looking to create photo collages on the iPhone.
The PhotoGrid app comes loaded with over 300 different layouts, so you will never run out of ways to combine your pictures in fantastic ways that will impress your audience.
There are also a few different editing tools within the app that can make the photos in your collage even better. The app also has a number of stickers, backgrounds, and fonts to decorate your collages.
Finally, this popular app is completely free!
If you’re an Instajunkie, PhotoGrid is the app for you. It comes preloaded with photo collage templates for the infamous 1:1 Instagram ratio, as well as 16:9 to make perfect Instagram Story collages.
If you want one of the most fully-functioned photo collage maker apps for the iPhone, then Pic Collage is the app for you. Over 190 million people have used this pic collage app to create amazing groupings of their favorite photos.
Pic Collage includes a number of templates, ways to decorate your collage, add text, touch gestures, and more. The app also features a clean design and is very simple to use. Pic Collage also makes it easy to share your collages on different social media accounts.
The only downside is that Pic Collage is not completely free. If you want access to advance features or want to remove the watermark from your pictures, you’ll need to pay the $4.99/month subscription fee, which isn’t bad for a quality app.
Photo Collage by Collageable
If you search for “photo collage” in the App Store, you’ll get a lot of results. Find the app made by “Collageable.”
Photo Collage includes hundreds of collage layouts, frames, stickers, and body filters to make your photos look as good as possible.
Instagram’s Layout to Make a Photo Collage on your iPhone
Layout’s simple to use and, of course, works well with Instagram. Here’s how to make a photo collage using Layout by Instagram on your iPhone.
- Install and open the Layout app.
- The home screen will show the photos from your library, and you can sort by tapping Faces or Recents at the bottom part of the screen.
- Tap photos to add them (note checkmark indicating the photos you’ve selected)
- Scroll through various collage options at top of the screen, then choose one option.
- Pinch two fingers open or closed across the screen to zoom in or out of any photo.
- Options at the bottom enable you to rotate through photos, replacing a photo, or adding a border to a photo.
- When you’ve completed work on your photo layout, tap save.
- Look toward the bottom of your screen for sharing options.
Tips for making a photo collage on your iPhone
When you’re using these apps, keep in mind that a photo collage is not just a bunch of random pictures stuck together. Instead, the pictures should help you tell a story or demonstrate a particular theme.
For best results, keep these tips in mind to make an outstanding photo collage that people will love:
- Use burst mode to take a sequence of pics, then use those pics for the collage.
- Tell a story from start to finish using your photo collage as the canvas for your story.
- Choose pictures that are all the same color or texture for your photo collage.
- Mix up-close pictures with distant scenes to provide the viewer with a sense of contrast.
While the three photo collage apps are great choices, there are tons more out there that you can try if you wish.
They all have different features and options, so find the one you like the most, and roll with it. Most are free or very affordable, so switching them up or trying a few different ones is easy – and hopefully, you’ll end up with a few fantastic photo collages in the process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make a collage without using third-party apps?
Unfortunately, iOS doesn’t offer a native photo collage feature within the editing functions of the app. This means, you will need a third-party application to make the collage.
How do I get rid of watermarks after editing?
After creating your collage you’ll hit the download button to save the photo your phone or share it with another app like Instagram. You may notice that the developer’s of the application that you used added a watermark. u003cbru003eu003cbru003eEssentially, app development does cost money and so, watermarks are included to draw other people to the app that you used. In this situation, they are useful. But, sometimes watermarks can obscure your photo and your design. The only workaround to this is taking a screenshot of your completed collage while it’s still in the editor. Then you can upload the screenshot after cropping it. u003cbru003eu003cbru003eHowever, we do recommend leaving the watermark in case your friends want to know which collage app you used so they can use it to.