How To Make a Photo Collage on the iPhone
They say that a picture’s worth a thousand words. Well, a photo collage is worth ten thousand words! And, yes, you can create a photo collage right on your iPhone.
Photo collages are a fantastic way to share more than one photo in a single post or story. There are hundreds of possible scenarios where you might want to create and share a collage.
While the iPhone does not have a built-in feature that lets you create a photo collage, of course, there’s an app for that. Well, more like there are dozens of apps for that.
How to Make a Photo Collage on iPhone
Making a photo collage on an iPhone is simple enough, but you will need the right tools. There are a plethora of third-party applications that you can download and create a collage. Of course, some apps are better than others. We will teach you how to make a photo collage on your iPhone using some of our favorite apps in the following sections.
We’re using the PhotoGrid app because it’s user-friendly, reliable, free, and gives us a lot of editing tools. PhotoGrid is a video and picture collage creator and a photo editor. With tens of millions of users, PhotoGrid is one of the best choices if you are looking to create photo collages on the iPhone.
The PhotoGrid app comes loaded with over 300 different layouts, so you will never run out of options to combine your pictures in fantastic ways that will impress your audience.
There are also a few different editing tools within the app that can make the photos in your collage even better. The app also has a number of stickers, backgrounds, and fonts to decorate your collages.
Finally, this popular app is completely free!
Here is how to make a collage using PhotoGrid:
- Head over to the App Store and search for PhotoGrid. Then, tap Get (if you’ve downloaded it previously, tap the cloud icon).
- Tap the X in the upper left corner to bypass the free trial, so if you’d like, you can take advantage of the premium features.
- Allow any permissions necessary to use the app.
- Tap on the green + sign at the bottom of the page to create a new collage.
- Tap on the number of photos you’d like to include in your collage. Then, select the layout.
- Tap the + sign in the collage to add photos from your iPhone.
- Add the photo’s from your device’s camera roll and tap Next.
- Tap Save in the upper right-hand corner.
- Now, select one of the options to share your collage.
If you’re an Instajunkie, PhotoGrid is the app for you. It comes preloaded with photo collage templates for the infamous 1:1 Instagram ratio, as well as 16:9 to make perfect Instagram Story collages.
What Are the Best Collage Apps for iPhones?
With dozens of apps for creating a photo collage on your iPhone, it can be tough to pick which one to use.
We can help you choose the perfect one by narrowing down our picks to the four below, taking into account the following characteristics that we think are important:
- Recent updates to the app: Many photo collage apps have been abandoned and do not work well with pictures taken on the iPhone 7 or newer.
- High star ratings: The apps listed below have an average star rating in the app store of 4+.
- A high number of star ratings: The best apps have a lot of users, so we ranked based on the number of star ratings each of these apps had received, meaning that a lot of people have used and rated all three of these apps.
- Free app functionality: Photo collage apps for the iPhone can be pricey, both to purchase and, after you buy it, to buy additional functionality through in-app purchases.
- Variety of photo collage layouts: The iPhone photo collage apps listed below come with dozens or hundreds of eye-pleasing options for laying out your pictures, ensuring you can find one that fits your image goals.
If you want one of the most fully-functioned photo collage maker apps for the iPhone, then Pic Collage is the app for you. Over 190 million people have used this pic collage app to create amazing groupings of their favorite photos.
Pic Collage includes a number of templates, ways to decorate your collage, add text, touch gestures, and more. The app also features a clean design and is very simple to use. Pic Collage also makes it easy to share your collages on different social media accounts.
The only downside is that Pic Collage is not completely free. If you want access to advance features or want to remove the watermark from your pictures, you’ll need to pay the $4.99/month subscription fee, which isn’t bad for a quality app.
Photo Collage by Collageable
If you search for photo collage in the App Store, you’ll get a lot of results. Find the app made by Collageable.
Photo Collage includes hundreds of collage layouts, frames, stickers, and body filters to make your photos look as good as possible.
Instagram’s Layout to Make a Photo Collage on your iPhone
Layout is simple to use and, of course, works well with Instagram. Here’s how to make a photo collage using Layout by Instagram on your iPhone.
- Install and open the Layout app.
- The home screen will show the photos from your library, and you can sort by tapping Faces or Recents at the bottom part of the screen.
- Tap photos to add them (note the checkmark indicating the photos you’ve selected)
- Scroll through various collage options at the top of the screen, then choose one option.
- Pinch two fingers open or closed across the screen to zoom in or out of any photo.
- Options at the bottom allow you to rotate through photos, replace a photo, or add a border to a photo.
- When you’ve completed work on your photo layout, tap Save.
- Look toward the bottom of your screen for sharing options.
Tips for making a photo collage on your iPhone
When using these apps, keep in mind that a photo collage is not just a bunch of random pictures stuck together. Instead, the pictures should help you tell a story or demonstrate a particular theme.
For best results, keep these tips in mind to make an outstanding photo collage that people will love:
- Use burst mode to take a sequence of pics, then use those pics for the collage.
- Tell a story from start to finish using your photo collage as the canvas for your story.
- Choose pictures that are all the same color or texture for your photo collage.
- Mix up-close pictures with distant scenes to provide the viewer with a sense of contrast.
While the three photo collage apps are great choices, there are tons more out there that you can try if you wish.
They all have different features and options, so find the one you like the most and roll with it. Most are free or very affordable, so switching them up or trying a few different ones is easy – and hopefully, you’ll end up with a few fantastic photo collages in the process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Picture collages are a lot of fun to make and share. If you have more questions, keep reading.
Can I make a collage without using third-party apps?
Unfortunately, iOS doesn’t offer a native photo collage feature within the editing functions of the app. This means you will need a third-party application to make the collage.
How do I get rid of watermarks after editing?
After creating your collage, you’ll hit the download button to save the photo on your phone or share it with another app like Instagram. You may notice that the developers of the application added a watermark.
Essentially, app development does cost money, so watermarks are included to draw other people to the app you used. In this situation, they are useful. But, sometimes watermarks can obscure your photo and your design.
The only workaround to this is taking a screenshot of your completed collage while it’s still in the editor. Then you can upload the screenshot after cropping it. However, we do recommend leaving the watermark in case your friends want to know which collage app you used so that they can use it too.