How to Manage Parental Controls on a Firestick
When it comes to streaming devices, Amazon Fire Stick is one of the best options out there. One of the reasons households with kids benefit from using it is integrated parental control settings.
With Fire Stick, you can manage what your kids watch, how long they watch for, and even control what content they can purchase with your Amazon account.
All of which sounds great, but how do you set it up? This article will guide you through the entire process of setting up parental controls on the Fire Stick device and answer several related questions.
How to Manage Parental Controls on an Amazon Fire Stick?
With Amazon Fire Stick, you get access to Prime Video content, download and use Netflix and Hulu, and also play video games. These apps have an incredible number of shows and movies, and not all of them are suitable for children.
The same applies to video games. Some they can use, others they can’t. Fortunately, you can easily enable parental controls on the Fire Stick. But before we show you all the steps you’ll need to take, make sure that you have activated a PIN via your Amazon account’s parental control section.
You can do that via Amazon mobile app or using the web browser. Sign in to your Amazon account, and under “Account & Lists,” select “Your Prime Video” settings and then “Parental Controls.” Then set up a 5-digit number for later use with your Fire Stick.
Step-by-Step Guide to Enabling Parental Controls on Amazon Fire Stick
Once you have the PIN ready, you can turn on the parental controls with your Fire Stick. Make sure that the device is correctly plugged into the right TV input first. Then follow these instructions:
- Use your Fire Stick remote to navigate to Preferences on the home screen.
- From the list of options, select “Parental Controls.”
- Now, select the “Parental Controls OFF” option.
- You will be prompted to enter your previously set up PIN.
- Once you enter the PIN, select “OK” to continue.
You will get the message on the screen that says, “Parental Controls Enabled.” Click “OK” again, and you’ll be able to see a list of parental control categories. One of them is “Viewing Restrictions.”
If you choose to enable this option, in particular, the viewing content will be restricted based on Amazon Video ratings of the shows and movies. You can also PIN protect Amazon Photos App, purchases, and app launches.
How to Change Parental Control PIN on Fire Stick?
What happens if your child learns about the PIN you’ve set up, and can now view inappropriate content?
Fortunately, with Amazon Fire Stick, you can change the PIN and start over. The “Change PIN” option is under the “Parental Controls” in Fire Stick “Preferences.” Here’s how to find it:
- Go to “Preferences” on your home screen.
- Select “Parental Controls.”
- Scroll to the “Change PIN” option.
- Enter the old PIN first, and then enter the new 5-digit number.
Now you’ll have a completely new PIN. Be sure to memorize it or write it down somewhere no one can find it.
How to Turn Off Parental Controls on Fire Stick?
In case you found that the parental controls on the Fire Stick are unnecessarily enabled, you can disable them in just a few steps.
Alternatively, you may have decided that your child is ready to take responsibility when it comes to the content they are watching on Prime Video. Either way, this is how you can turn off parental controls on the Fire Stick:
- Navigate to “Preferences” on your Fire Stick home screen.
- Select “Parental Controls” from the list of items.
- Now, choose the “Parental Controls ON” option.
- Enter your PIN and confirm your selection.
You’ve officially disabled the Parental Controls with your Fire Stick. If you want to enable them again, follow the same steps and switch the controls back on.
1. Why Do I Want to Do This?
Most parents are mindful about what type of content their children consume. If you have an Amazon Fire Stick device, that means you have access to a lot of variety when it comes to content.
Parental Controls on Prime Video allow you to ensure your younger children are not exposed to things they don’t understand.
For example, when your PIN protect app launches, your child won’t be able to open any game without checking with you first. You can then enter the PIN, and they can play, but only if you’ve approved it first.
In terms of viewing restrictions, there are several categories you can go through with Fire Stick. Once you access the “Viewing Restriction” option, you’ll see the general, family, teen, and mature categories as well. You can choose which one to permit and which one to lock with a PIN.
Like with other devices children nowadays have access to, enabling parental controls gives parents the peace of mind they need when their child is in front of a screen.
2. How Do I Set Parental Controls on My Netflix Account?
If you have a Netflix account and a Fire Stick, you can watch Netflix shows and movies via the app on the Fire Stick device.
The parental controls you’ve set up for shows and movies on the Fire Stick settings are only going to apply to Prime Video content.
For Netflix items, you have to enable the in-app parental controls. The simplest way to do that is to go to the Netflix web browser.
But before we show you how to set up the appropriate controls, make sure that your child has their separate Netflix profile on your account. If you’re not sure how to add the profile, just follow these steps:
1. Go to Netflix using any browser on your PC or laptop and sign in to your account.
2. Then go to the “Manage Profiles” page and select “Add Profile.”
3. Enter the name of the profile (your child’s name) and select “Continue.”
From here, you can manage the parental controls of that specific Netflix profile.
Here’s how it works:
1. While you’re signed into your account, navigate to your name in the top right corner, and from the drop-down menu, select “Account.”
2. Scroll down to “Profile & Parental Controls” and select the profile you’ve set up.
3. Next to “Viewing Restrictions,” select “Change.” You will be prompted to enter your Netflix password.
4. Set up the viewing restrictions that apply to your child’s age. It ranges from TV-Y to NC-17.
Additionally, you can block specific titles from Netflix for the profile in question. You will be able to see a search bar on the same page.
Start entering the title, and Netflix will list matching options. When you’ve added all the titles you want to restrict, select “Save.”
3. How Do You Reset Parental Controls on Fire Stick?
In case you’ve forgotten the PIN you’ve created on Fire Stick, that can be a problem if you want to change the current parental control settings.
However, not all is lost, and you can reset the PIN with a little bit of effort:
1. The first thing you need to do is enter any PIN, a random 5-digit number.
2. Underneath the PIN, a code will appear. Then, you have to go to this Amazon page and sign in with your account.
3. There, enter the reset code provided on your TV and select “Continue.”
You will receive on-screen instructions on what to do next. Also, you will be asked to assign a new PIN for the parental controls.
4. How Do I Restrict Purchases on Fire Stick?
As a parent or caregiver, the last thing you need is unexpected purchases on your credit card bill from Amazon. Unfortunately, unless restricted, it’s relatively easy for kids to buy stuff via Fire Stick. Here’s how you can prevent them from making unnecessary purchases using the Fire Stick:
1. Go to “Preferences” on your Fire Stick home screen.
2. Navigate to “Parental Controls.”
3. Select the “PIN Protect Purchases ON” option.
There you go, now you’re safe. Every time someone wants to purchase a video, app, or game, they will be asked to enter the PIN only you have.
5. Can You Set Time Limits on Fire Stick?
Another potential problem for parents is that it can be challenging to get their kids away from screens. Prime content offers a lot of fun, so time limitation tools are immensely helpful.
To set the time tracking feature on the Fire Stick, you will need Amazon’s FreeTime app. You can add the app directly from the Amazon app store on your Fire Stick. After you do, here’s how to set up time limits using this app:
1. Launch the FreeTime app on your Fire Stick.
2. Select “Get Started” and then enter your PIN.
3. You will be prompted to enter your child’s information, such as name and age.
4. Now, select the type of content they will have access to. You can even add specific titles.
5. Then select “Set Daily Goals & Time Limits” and choose how much time they can spend with a specific app.
6. The “Turn off by” option is also helpful if you want to set up bedtime for your child.
6. How Does Prime Video Parental Control Work?
If you’re a Prime Video subscriber, you can set up parental controls even if you don’t have a Fire Stick device. You can access parental controls via a mobile app and any web browser.
All you have to do is sign in to your Prime Video account and go to “Account & Settings,” and choose “Parental Controls.”
From there, set the age restriction for Prime Video’s content and every device you want these restrictions to apply. Select “Save,” and you’re done.
Keep in mind that the restrictions will only apply to the devices you’ve selected. Others will still have disabled parental controls.
You Can Relax With Parental Controls on Amazon Fire Stick
Knowing that there is a lot you can do to customize suitable content for your kids’ developing minds is a relief for sure. When it comes to Amazon Fire Stick, your main task is to remember the PIN you create.
You can always reset it, but it’s easier to have it on hand when it’s time to approve a video game or a show. When it comes to Netflix, and other streaming platforms, you’ll have to set up parental controls separately.
Always remember, as a Prime Video subscriber, you can have access to parental controls even without the Fire Stick.
Do you restrict the content your kids watch? Let us know in the comments section below.