How Many NPCs Are There in Terraria
Terraria is a sandbox-type game that’s based on open-world exploration. As you dive deeper into the world, you discover more and more NPCs. The NPCs are friendly non-player characters and, in Terraria, they can perform services for you that range from supplying you with ammo and explosives to bringing your character to full health.
In this article, we’re going to talk about how many NPCs you can encounter in Terraria, across various platforms. We’re also going to provide you with answers to some common questions about the game.
How Many NPCs Are There in Terraria?
There is a total of 32 NPCs in Terraria, although, some devices may feature fewer NPCs. Before moving on to a full list of all available NPCs in the game, let’s discuss Pre-Hardmode and Hardmode.
This is the initial state of the world that the player is dropped into. From its name, you can see that this is the “easy” version of the game’s world. In other words, this is a mode that boasts items and enemies that are fitting for new characters. Pre-Hardmode, however, isn’t a difficulty setting. It’s a sort of an introduction to the game that starts with the player entering the game and ends when the Wall of Flesh boss is defeated.
Pre-Hardmode features a lot of NPCs that recur in Hardmode after the Wall of Flesh. Here’s a list of Pre-Hardmode NPCs in Terraria.
- Guide – First NPC you run into, provides tips and info
- Merchant – Basic supplies and tools
- Nurse – Healing and coin debuffing
- Demolitionist – Explosives
- Dye Trader – Provides rare dyes
- Angler – Fishing quests
- Zoologist – Critter items
- Dryad – corruption, crimson, and nature items
- Painter – Paints, paintings, painting tools
- Golfer – Golfing equipment
- Arms Dealer – Various ammo types
- Tavernkeep – Items and Defender Medals
- Stylist – Hairstyles and hair dyes
- Goblin Tinkerer – Reforging and related items
- Witch Doctor – Summoner equipment, fountain, imbuing station, blowgun
- Clothier – Vanity items
- Mechanic – Various mechanism items
- Party Girl – Miscellaneous items with visual effects
- Travelling Merchant – Random unique items
- Old Man – Takes the role of the Clothier after you defeat Skeletron
- Skeleton Merchant – Various items such as Spelunker Glowsticks, Counterweights, Magic Lanterns, Slap Hand, etc.
- Town Cat – Cat pet
- Town Dog – Dog pet
- Town Bunny – Bunny pet
After the Wall of Flesh encounter, your game is automatically and irreversibly switched to Hardmode. There is no reason to postpone this switch, as all NPCs available in Pre-Hardmode will also be available in Hardmode. To activate Hardmode, go to The Underworld and kill the Voodoo Demon. Take the Voodoo Doll that the Voodoo Demon drops and throw it into the lava. The Wall of Flesh boss will appear. Defeat it and the game will progress immediately.
In addition to the previously mentioned NPCs, a list of additional ones will be activated.
- Wizard – Magic items
- Tax Collector – Collects taxes from all NPCs in the town and pays you 50 copper for each
- Truffle – Sells Mushroom Spear, Autohammer, and various other mushroom-based items
- Pirate – Pirates items
- Steampunker – Items like Teleporter, Clentaminator, Jetpack, and others
- Cyborg – Rockets, Nanites, and the Proximity Mine Launcher
- Santa Claus – Sells the Santa costume and other Christmas decorations
- Princess – Royal equipment, Prince equipment, various unique items
How Many NPCs Are There in Terraria 1.4
Depending on the platform you’re playing the game on, the number of available NPCs can vary (more on this later). The 1.4 version of Terraria added various NPCs, including the Zoologist (for Desktop and Mobile versions). So, depending on which device you’re using, the number of NPCs varies. The PC 1.4 version includes all the above-mentioned NPCs.
How Many NPCs Are There in Terraria on PS4?
There are three NPCs in the PS4 version of Terraria that aren’t present. These are the Zoologist, Golfer, and Princess NPCs. As of yet, you won’t be able to access any of them via the PS4. There’s a total of 29 NPCs in Terraria for PS4.
How Many NPCs Are There in Terraria on Xbox One
The Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game are pretty much the same across the board. This goes for the NPCs, as well. So, you can expect to encounter a maximum of 29 NPCs in Terraria using Xbox One (the same ones as on the PS4).
How Many NPCs Are There in Terraria on Old-Gen Consoles
Xbox 360 and PS3 users are still able to play Terraria. Some NPCs, however, are missing. A total of five NPCs aren’t available on old-gen console versions of the game. These include the Zoologist, Golfer, Tavernkeep, Tax Collector, and Princess NPCs.
How Many NPCs Are There in Terraria on PC
All of the characters from the list above are present on the PC version of the game. Keep in mind that Terraria was conceptualized as a PC-based game.
How Many NPCs Are There in Terraria on iOS and Android
Whether you’re using an Android/iOS phone or tablet, the chances are that your Android/iOS version supports Terraria. However, there is one NPC that is lacking in the mobile/tablet versions of the game. This is the Princess character, which is only available for PC users.
How Many NPCs Are There in Terraria Calamity
Terraria Calamity is a mod that brings a ton of additional content for Terraria. This includes hours of endgame content, various additional bosses and enemies, new structures, biomes, a brand-new leveling mechanic, a new class, more songs, more than fifty recipes, and, of course, additional NPCs.
The Calamity mod adds four new NPCs:
- Sea King – Water-themed gear
- Bandit – Rogue equipment
- Drunk Princess – Alcoholic potions and some candles for unique buffs
- Archmage – Ice-themed gear and weapons
The Calamity mod for Terraria, unfortunately, is currently unavailable on all devices other than the PC. So, with the Calamity mod, the desktop version Terraria gets a grand total of 36 NPCs.
1. What are the requirements for an NPC house in Terraria?
To spawn, town NPCs need a house assigned to them. Each NPC house requires a light source, a flat surface item, and a comfort item.
2. How to get Hardmode NPCs in Terraria?
To get access to Hardmode NPCs in Terraria, you need to pass the Wall of Flesh quest, thereby unlocking the rest of the game’s progress.
3. How many NPCs are there in Calamity?
There is a total of 36 NPCs in the Terraria Calamity mod.
4. Why are NPCs not spawning in Terraria?
If you’ve built a house for an NPC properly, the NPCs might not be spawning because of too much corruption in the house’s proximity. Alternatively, an NPC will not spawn when a goblin invasion is ongoing in your world.
5. What is the rarest pet in Terraria?
The Puppy is the rarest available pet in Terraria. It drops only during the Christmas season. There’s a 1/417 chance of The Puppy pet dropping from a Present. The Presents are a 1/13 drop from enemies.
6. How many NPCs can you house in Terraria?
Every “Town NPC” can be housed in the game. Town NPCs include all Pre-Hardmode and Hardmode NPCs except for the Travelling Merchant, the Old Man, and the Skeleton Merchant.
7. How many NPCs at once can you have?
As long as it’s a Town NPC type, you can have as many NPCs as you wish to move into your town.
We hope that we’ve shed some light on the NPC concept of this game. If you have any questions regarding Terraria, feel free to hit the comments section below.