How to Create a Database in Notion
Databases in Notion are essentially collections of pages you can customize to fit you or your organization’s needs. You can insert information to form your plans, manage your data, or collaborate with other people.
However, Notion may be overwhelming to a beginner. This article will try to help you overcome the struggles of a Notion newbie and create your first database.
Create a Notion Database
Notion databases can be described as intelligent file cabinets that can contain thousands of pages. Similar to Excel and OneNote, Notion is different in the following aspects:
- Each item in the database can be opened as a new page and edited accordingly.
- You can customize every database item by adding more context to them, like dates, deadlines, links, participants, etc.
- Databases can be viewed in various ways, not just as a table.
To create your first database, you’ll need to set up an account. You can log in with an email, Google account, or Apple account. Then, just choose what you’ll be using Notion for (personal use, your team, or school), and you’re good to go.
Right off the bat, you’ll be given pre-made templates to get you started. You’ll also be introduced to the basics that’ll help you form your first database.
You can create a database in Notion in two ways:
- Click on the “Add a page”
- Start writing “/database” and choose a database from the drop-down menu
How to Customize Your Database
Now you can start customizing your database however you want.
- Pick one of the six database layout options: table, board, list, gallery, calendar, or timeline.
- On the right panel, you can select a data source to link content from an existing database in your workspace or click “+ New Database” to begin anew.
- At the top of the page, you can name your new database.
- Each database layout already has certain guidelines and a structure that you can fill out. Note that a table has a name, tags, and date as default, but you can change them and add as many rows and columns (called “properties” in Notion) as you need for your project.
- Once you add a new item (such as a name of a project participant), you can open the item as a new page by hovering with your cursor above it and clicking “Open.”
- There, you can write any other detail you don’t think is necessary in the main database section.
- Add tags, comments, or properties.
- Once you’re done creating your database, you can move it around your workspace or add it to existing pages.
How to Add Properties to a Notion Database
Properties refer to pieces of information that will appear for every page you store in a single database. They’re primarily used for data sorting and filtering. You can uncheck which ones you want to show and which you don’t. That gives you a better overview of the database.
As mentioned, you can add as many properties as you need. They come in various shapes and forms, such as dates, checkboxes, formulas, URLs, etc. You can change and add properties as columns or add a property for each row entry.
Here’s how to add a property to a table in Notion:
- Click on the “+” icon in the last column of the table.
- Choose a property type.
- Customize the property by editing its name, selecting or removing its icon, etc.
If you choose a property like “Status,” you’ll be able to add as many status options as you need, such as “Not started,” “In progress,” and “Done,” change the color of each status option, or show them as checkboxes.
You can hide each property by clicking on it and selecting “Hide in view.” In the same context menu, you can duplicate, delete, or show them in an ascending or descending order.
Once you customize a property, you won’t need to press “Save” or a similar button. It will be saved in the table as you make it.
How to Add More Database Views
Views in Notion databases allow you to see the same information in different arrangements. You’ll notice that this is a useful feature as you create your own databases and input more and more information over time.
Some layouts just don’t do justice to your information after a while. For example, if you’ve started with a table layout and added more date-oriented information, you’ll probably want to switch to a calendar layout.
Fortunately, you don’t have to create a brand-new database and add the same information all over again. You can just add another view with a different layout while keeping the initial view intact.
Here’s how to add a view to an existing database:
- Click on the “+” icon next to the name of your existing view.
- Type in a view name and select the view layout.
- Customize the new view.
Each view has its own menu that lets you filter out any information that doesn’t suit its layout. You can hide, sort, or filter certain properties for ultimate data organization. What you alter in one view will also be altered in other views of the same database. But how you customize a view won’t affect other views.
What does database locking in Notion do?
Locking a view in a Notion database will prevent others from changing the views and the properties in your database. However, they can still alter the content inside the database as they wish. Moreover, anyone with access to your account can unlock the view.
Who can edit my Notion database?
You’ll find Notion collaboration options by clicking the “Share” button at the top of the page. There, you can edit who can view, comment, edit, or duplicate your database. Then, you just need to copy the database link and forward it to anyone you want.
Organize Your Workspace With Notion
Notion databases are a perfect solution for organizing your workspace and keeping up with your daily tasks. You can even use it for your personal life to make travel plans, organize events, or keep track of your finances. Notion offers plenty of features that you can use to manage every aspect of your life in one place.
Have you already tried creating a database in Notion? If so, what was the database for? Tell us in the comments section below.