How to Connect an Oculus Quest 2 to the TV
Oculus Quest 2 is one of the most impressive VR headsets on the market, with many admirable features. One of them is the ability to share your experience with an audience. However, this requires you to connect the gadget to your TV, so how do you do this?
This article will explain how to connect your Oculus Quest 2 to your TV. We’ll show you how to enable your friends, family, and other interested people to enjoy your adventures on a large screen.
How to Connect the Oculus Quest 2 to a TV
You shouldn’t have a hard time pairing up your Oculus Quest 2 to your TV. Here’s how the process works if you’re using a Chromecast device:
- Turn on the TV and Quest 2. Be sure to choose the appropriate input when hooking up your Chromecast device to your TV. In addition, both gadgets should be connected to the identical Wi-Fi network.
- Press the Oculus key on your right-hand controller. This will access your home menu.
- Point and click the “Share” button.
- In the “Share” window, hit “Cast”. You should now reach a window called “Cast From This Headset”.
- Select a Chromecast-activated device.
- You should now see your confirmation message, and your Oculus Quest 2 feed should now be shown on the TV.
Another great thing about Oculus Quest 2 is that you don’t have to use a Chromecast device to stream your sessions on a TV. You can also use the Oculus app on your smartphone:
- Go to Google Play or your App Store and install the app on your smartphone.
- Enter your Meta (Facebook/Oculus) login credentials.
- Turn on Quest 2 and the TV, ensuring both devices are linked to the identical Wi-Fi network.
- Launch Oculus on your smartphone.
- Navigate to the top-right corner of the display and press “Cast”.
- Tap the arrow next to “This Phone”.
- Choose your TV in the “Cast To” section in the lower part of the screen. If your TV doesn’t appear initially, press “Other Devices” and locate the TV.
- Choose “Start,” and your TV should cast your Oculus session.
While playing Oculus Quest 2 can be a lot of fun, the gameplay can become too intensive. The good news is that you can stop the cast if it gets out of hand. This is what you’ll need to do if you’re gaming from your Chromecast device:
- Go to the menu.
- Press Share.
- Select the “Stop Casting” option.
Terminating your cast works slightly differently if you’re using the smartphone app:
- Go to the top-right corner of the app.
- Click the rectangle symbol.
- Press the button in the lower section of your display to stop the cast.
How to Connect Oculus Quest 2 to PC
PC users will be happy to hear that they can link their Oculus Quest 2 to their laptops and desktop computers. The only downside is that you’ll be tethered to your device, preventing you from moving around freely.
Here’s how to connect your PC to your Oculus Quest 2:
- Go to this website. Download and install the app on your computer.
- Turn on your Quest 2.
- Launch your Oculus App and choose the “Devices” button.
- Press “Add Headset” and select “Quest 2.”
- Pick the “Link (Cable)” option as your connection method.
- Connect your Quest 2 and PC with a cable.
- Go back to the app and press the “Enable” button. You can also test your connection to verify the devices are linked successfully.
- You should now be able to access your Oculus Quest 2 content from your desktop computer or laptop.
As previously mentioned, the biggest downside of gaming with Oculus Quest 2 from your PC is the lack of mobility. However, there’s a great way to solve this issue – using Air Link. Setting up the devices might take a bit more time, but it’s worth it:
- Be sure your Oculus Quest 2 and PC use the identical Wi-Fi connection. For best results, try to connect them to your 5GHZ network.
- Open your Oculus app.
- Choose “Devices,” followed by “Add Headset.”
- Pick “Oculus Quest 2” and choose “Air Links.”.
- Put on the headset.
- Hover over and choose the clock in the left section of your navigation bar to launch “Quick Settings.”
- Hit the gear symbol in the top-right part of the menu to access the rest of the settings.
- Go to your Experimental box.
- Find and turn on Air Link.
- Return to your main settings and choose Air Link. You’ll now see all computers on the network using Air Link. Choose your PC.
- You should now see your pairing code in Quest 2. Remove your headset and ensure it’s the same code as on the PC screen.
- Put the Oculus Quest 2 back on and finalize the connection.
How to Play Steam Games from Oculus Quest 2
Oculus Quest 2 is compatible with a variety of platforms on your PC. Steam is one of them. Accessing content from your library using Quest 2 is pretty easy:
- Find a USB-C cable that can reach from your computer to your Quest 2. A 15-foot model might work best.
- Install Steam on your computer and the Oculus Quest 2 app.
- Start Oculus Quest 2 and link it to your PC using a USB-C cable.
- Start your desktop app and press the “Devices” button in the left part of your screen.
- Select “Add Headset,” followed by “Quest 2.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish connecting the device to your PC.
- Once the setup is over, choose “Link Cable.”
- Hit the “Continue” button and open Steam.
- Press the “Steam VR” option, and you should be able to access your Steam library from the headset.
How to Connect Oculus Quest 2 to SideQuest
SideQuest is a great platform that lets you install apps and games for your Oculus Quest 2. You can find some of the best titles here that aren’t available on the official Oculus store. The list includes retro games, like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, with well-designed VR ports.
Connecting your Oculus Quest 2 to this platform is relatively straightforward:
- Connect your Oculus Quest 2 to your smartphone or PC using your USB-C cable.
- To access your SideQuest, you’ll need to activate Developer Mode in Oculus Quest 2. To do so, use your login credentials to sign in as the developer.
- After registering, navigate to your Oculus App and find the settings while the headset is turned on.
- Go to “More Settings” and activate Developer Mode. Restart the device.
- To install SideQuest on your computer, you’ll first need to go to the platform’s download page. Choose the appropriate file, depending on your device and operating system. Download it, start the installer, and wait for the installation to finish.
- Launch SideQuest and turn on your headset.
- Activate your Guardian boundary.
- Plug the headset in, and activate USB debugging. To prevent the prompt from appearing every time, pick “Always allow”.
- Navigate to this website.
- Press “Sideload” on the game or app you wish to download. Wait for the installation to finish, and you should be able to play with your Oculus Quest 2.
Keep reading for some more helpful information about Oculus Quest 2 connectivity.
What devices can you connect to your Oculus Quest 2?
In short, Oculus Quest 2 works with all displays compatible with wireless casting, whether it’s through additional devices (e.g., Chromecast) or built-in systems. It also suits devices that support links with USB-C cables.
The list doesn’t just include TVs. Oculus Quest 2 is perfect for phones, tablets, desktop computers, and laptops. You can cast from all these devices if you’ve installed your Oculus app.
There are also some third-party options. For instance, you can cast through a macOS-activated device or Amazon Fire Stick through some other downloadable applications.
But if you want to keep it simple, you should stick to devices that can cast through a Chromecast, Google Nest Hub, or similar solutions.
You Can Never Have Too Much Fun with Oculus Quest 2
Oculus Quest 2 is one of the best VR headsets on the market. Whether you’re a first-time gamer or veteran, this gadget takes your gaming experience to the next level.
And as you’ve just learned, connecting it to your TV doesn’t require much knowledge. The same goes for any other device or platform, including your PC, SideQuest, and Steam.
When it comes to the connection method, you can use a cable, but it’ll restrict your mobility. By contrast, the wireless mode offers more freedom and lets you make the most of your headset.
Do you prefer casting Oculus Quest 2 from your PC or TV? What are your favorite games to play on Oculus Quest 2? Are there any aspects of this headset you would improve? Let us know in the comments section below.