How to Get Mega Energy in Pokemon Go
Mega evolutions were added to Pokemon Go in August 2020. The feature has been a part of the game for a while now. But its rules still aren’t clear to many players. If you’re struggling to understand how to collect Mega Energy while others are killing you in battles with their Mega Pokemon, we’re here to even the odds.
In this guide, we’ll explain how to obtain different types of Mega Energy. Additionally, we’ll answer some of the most common questions related to Mega evolution in the game, like which ones can evolve, how long it lasts, and why you should do it. Keep reading to make your Pokemon stronger than ever.
How to Get Mega Energy in Pokemon Go
To mega-evolve a Pokemon, you need to collect Mega Energy. Note that each Pokemon species has its own Mega Energy, so having a strategy of collecting a specific type of Mega Energy is beneficial. Here are all the ways you can earn Mega Energy:
- Defeating other mega-evolved Pokemon in Raid Battles.
- Completing research tasks differing for each Pokemon species.
- Taking a walk with your Pokemon buddy.
For the latter, you can earn Mega Candy if you have any previously mega-evolved Pokemon in your Pokedex in your buddy’s evolutionary line. For instance, if you own a mega-evolved Blastoise, you can earn Mega Candy from walking with Squirtle but not with Venusaur.
How to Get Mega Energy Without Raids in Pokemon Go
The most efficient way to earn Mega Energy is to defeat mega-evolved Pokemon in Raid Battles. Of course, it’s also the most challenging method. Since you can’t use a mega-evolved Pokemon in Raid Battles, the fight is somewhat unbalanced. Thankfully, there are other methods of earning Mega Energy that doesn’t require you to battle.
One of them is walking with your Pokemon buddy. However, this method only works if you’ve previously mega-evolved the same Pokemon species. So, to earn Mega Candy from walking with Bulbasaur, you need to have a Venusaur in your Pokedex already.
If you haven’t mega-evolved any Pokemon yet or wish to collect Mega Energy for a different Pokemon species, you could complete research tasks.
The tasks change regularly with new Events, and not every task gives you Mega Energy. Most of them will only earn you Stardust, Poke Balls, Razz Berries, or other more common items. At the time of writing this article, the following research tasks are active and will earn you Mega Energy:
- Catching 10 Fire Pokemon will give you 10 Charizard Mega Energy.
- Catching 10 Grass Pokemon will give you 10 Venusaur Mega Energy.
- Catching 10 Water Pokemon will give you 10 Blastoise Mega Energy.
- Catching 10 Normal Pokemon will give you 10 Pidgeot Mega Energy.
- Using ten super-effective Charged Attacks in Gym, Raid, or Trainer Battles will give you 20 Gengar Mega Energy.
- Powering up a single Pokemon five times will give you either 10 Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Beedrill, or Pidgeot Mega Energy. The type of Mega Energy depends on the type of evolved Pokemon.
Pokemon Go How to Get Venusaur Mega Energy?
Each Pokemon species has a different type of Mega Energy, so to evolve a Venusaur, you need to collect Venusaur Mega Energy. Bear in mind that Venusaur requires 200 Mega Energy for the first mega-evolution, but only 40 for further mega-evolutions. Here’s how to collect Venusaur Mega Energy:
- If you have previously evolved a Venusaur, make a Bulbasaur your buddy. You’ll get 5 Venusaur Mega Candy per kilometer (.62 miles) walked.
- Defeat Venusaur in Mega Raid Battles to obtain 35-90 Venusaur Mega Energy. However, there is no way to predict which mega-evolved Pokemon you’ll fight against before starting the battle.
- Catch 10 Grass Pokemon to receive 10 Venusaur Mega Energy. This task is active at the time of writing the article, so make sure to double-check the current research tasks.
- Power up a Grass Pokemon five times to receive 10 Venusaur Energy. This task is active at the time of writing the article.
How to Get Slowbro Mega Energy in Pokemon Go
Slowbro takes 200 Slowbro Mega Energy to evolve into Mega Slowbro for the first time and 40 Slowbo Mega Energy for subsequent evolutions. Here’s how you can collect this specific type of Mega Energy:
- If you have a Mega Slowbro already registered in your Pokedex, make a Slowpoke your buddy. You’ll receive 5 Slowbro Mega Energy for each kilometer (.62 miles) walked.
- Defeat Mega Slowbro in Raid Battles. You can get 35-90 Slowbro Mega Energy for each battle, but you can’t choose your Pokemon opponent.
- Look out for research tasks during Events. At the time of writing the article, none of the research tasks will earn you Slowbro Mega Energy, but this may change with the release of a new Event.
Pokemon Go How to Get Lopunny Mega Energy?
To mega-evolve a Lopunny into Mega Lopunny for the first time, you need 200 Lopunny Mega Energy. That’s a lot, but thankfully, subsequent evolutions take only 40 Lopunny Mega Energy. Here’s how to collect more:
- If you already have a Mega Lopunny in your Pokedex, make a Lopunny your buddy to receive 5 Lopunny Mega Energy for each kilometer (.62 miles) walked together.
- Defeat a Mega Lopunny in a Raid Battle to obtain 35-90 Lopunny Mega Energy. You can’t choose which Pokemon to battle, so you may end up winning a different Mega Energy type.
- Regularly check new research tasks. They update with every new Event. At the time of writing the article, no tasks earn you Lopunny Mega Energy, but this can change.
How to Get Abomasnow Mega Energy in Pokemon Go
Mega Abomasnow is the mega-evolved version of Abomasnow, a dual-type Grass/Ice Pokemon of Generation IV. If you’d like to add it to your Pokedex, you need to earn 200 Abomasnow Mega Energy. Subsequent mega-evolutions take 40 Abomasnow Mega Energy. Here’s how to get Abomasnow Mega Energy:
- This method only works if you already have a Mega Abomasnow in your Pokedex. Make Abomasnow your buddy, and you’ll receive 5 Abomasnow Mega energy per one kilometer (.62 miles) walked together.
- Fight Mega Abomasnow in Raid Battles. If you win, you can get 35-90 Abomasnow Mega Candy. Keep in mind that you don’t know which mega Pokemon you’ll fight in advance.
- Look out for updates on research tasks. They change with every Event that is released, approximately once a month. At the time of writing the article, none of the research tasks can earn you Abomasnow Mega Candy, but this may change with the new update.
How to Get Altaria Mega Energy in Pokemon Go
Mega Altaria is the mega-evolved form of Swablu, a dual-type Dragon/Flying Pokemon. To add it to your collection, you’ll need to obtain 200 Altaria Mega Energy. Subsequent mega-evolutions cost less, only 40 Altaria Mega Energy. There are three methods of collecting Altaria Mega Energy:
- Defeat Mega Altaria in a Raid Battle. You can’t know in advance which mega Pokemon you’ll have to fight, but you can earn 35-90 Altaria Mega Candy if you’re lucky.
- If you’ve already mega-evolved Altaria previously, make Swablu your buddy. You’ll receive 5 Altaria Mega Energy for every kilometer walked.
- Make sure to check new research tasks each time Niantic introduces an event. None of the tasks can earn you Altaria Mega Energy as of this writing, but this may change in the new Event.
How Much Mega Energy Do I Need to Evolve a Pokemon?
Mega-evolving a Pokemon isn’t a simple task. You need to earn 200 Mega Energy of a corresponding type to mega-evolve a Pokemon for the first time. Subsequent mega-evolutions require only 40 Mega Energy, though.
Beedrill and Pigeot are cheaper to mega-evolve, costing 100 Mega Energy for the first time and 20 Mega Energy for subsequent mega-evolutions.
How Many Pokemon Can I Evolve at a Time?
You can only have one Mega Pokemon at a time.
How Long Does the Mega Evolution Last in Pokemon Go?
Mega evolution doesn’t last forever. You can only have one Mega Pokemon at a time, and the buff lasts for eight hours. Afterward, your Pokemon will turn back into its regular final form.
Note that you have a limit of 2,000 Mega Energy of every type, so don’t waste it by stocking it up and not using it.
What Are the Advantages of Having a Mega Pokemon?
Mega Pokemon get a temporary Combat Power boost, which is useful in Gym Battles, Team GO Rocket Battles, PvP Battles with friends, and Raids. However, you can’t leave a Mega Pokemon as a gym defender and can’t use it in PvP battles against users outside of your friends’ list.
When using a Mega Pokemon in Raids, all your team members will receive an attack boost.
Additionally, a Mega Evolved Pokemon in your Pokedex lets you collect Mega Energy from walking with a buddy Pokemon of the same species.
Lastly, some mega-evolved Pokemon receive extra perks due to the change of their type. For example, Charizard is a Fire/Flying Pokemon, but Mega Charizard is a Fire/Dragon Pokemon.
Now that you know how to get Mega Energy, all you need is time and patience to collect enough of it. Raid Battles are the most efficient way of obtaining Mega Energy, so your success depends solely on your skill and strategy. Stay active: fight with other Mega Pokemon, walk with your buddy, and never miss out on Event updates to become unbeatable.
What’s your favorite Mega Pokemon and why? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.