How To Print From an Android Device
Printing from an Android device is straightforward if you have the right tools. Most popular wireless printers can connect to and print from an Android device. However, you need to check with your printer’s manufacturer to ensure you have a compatible printer.
Keep reading to learn how to print from an Android device.
How to Print From an Android Phone to a Wireless Printer
Each wireless printer may have a slightly different process for connecting to your Android device. However, if you’re unsure which printer you have, following the manufacturer’s instructions may not be possible. In that case, you can use Android’s native wireless print settings. These settings will work with most printers, although you won’t have access to the printer’s advanced features and settings.
Try the steps listed below to connect and print to a wireless printer.
Connecting Android to a Wireless Printer
First, you need to connect your Android device to the wireless printer.
- Open the Settings app.
- In the search bar, type “Printing” and select it from the results.
- Tap on “Printing” again.
- Select “Default Print Service” and toggle the switch “On.”
- A list of compatible printers will appear. Tap on the printer and follow the prompts to connect it to your Android device.
Printing From Android to Wireless Printer
Once your Android is connected, it’s time to print.
- Go to the screen you would like to print and tap the three dots in the upper-right hand corner.
- Find and tap the “Print” button.
- At the top of the screen, tap the drop menu “Select a printer.”
- Tap on a connected printer and adjust your settings if necessary.
- Select the printer icon when ready.
How to Print From an Android Phone to a Canon Printer
Canon offers several ways to connect your Android and a Canon printer. The most efficient way is to connect the Android to the Canon printer via the app. You can then print using the app and access more of the printer’s settings.
Connect the Canon Printer and Android Phone
First, you’ll need the app to make the Android to printer connection.
- Download the Canon app from the Google Play Store.
- When you open the app for the first time, you will receive a notification regarding phone permissions. Click “OK.”
- You will then be asked to allow the app to have print access. Tap “Allow.”
- A box will appear asking to search for available printers. Choose “Search.”
- Tap “No” when asked to add a printer via Bluetooth and check Bluetooth settings.
- A prompt will appear asking to set up a printer. Check that the name matches your printer and tap “OK.”
- Enter the password for your wireless router and tap “OK.”
- A confirmation will appear. Tap “OK” again.
- You will be asked again to search for available printers. Tap “Yes,” and the app will finalize the connection between your Android and the printer.
Use the Canon App to Print on your Android
After you set up the app, you’re ready to print from your Android device.
- Open the Canon app.
- Select the type of data you want to print.
- Tap the items you want to print. A tick mark will appear on your selected items.
- Select “Print” at the bottom of the screen.
- A print screen will appear. You can change your print settings or change the copy number.
- When you’re ready, press “Print” at the bottom of the screen.
How to Print From an Android Phone to an HP Printer
You can print from an Android phone to an HP Printer using the HP Smart app. The app will give you access to more printer settings and features than if you connected using the general wireless printer connection method listed above. Remember that not every HP printer is compatible with the HP Smart app, so you must check if yours is.
Connect Your Android and HP Printer
You’ll need the HP Smart app to connect your device to the printer first. Check out the steps below to set up the app if you haven’t already. If you have, you can skip to the next set of steps.
- Download the HP Smart app from the Google Play Store. Ensure your Android device and printer are connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- Open the HP Smart app and tap either the “Printer” icon or plus sign. You will be taken to the “My Printer” screen.
- Tap on “Advanced Settings.”
- Select “Web Services.”
- Tap on “Setup” and follow the instructions to enable printing.
Print From Android to HP Printer
You’re ready to print once you have the HP app set up.
- Open the HP Smart app on your device and tap the tile with the file type you want to print.
- Select the files to print. This will open a preview of the files and print options.
- Set your print options.
- When ready, tap “Print.”
How to Print From an Android Phone to a Brother Printer
Brother printers uniquely connect to your Android compared to other brands. You will need to start a print job to connect your Brother printer for the first time. In contrast, other brands usually have you connect the printer first and then go to print.
Connect Your Android and Brother Printer
To connect your Android and Brother printer, ensure you have completed these prerequisites.
- Download the Brother iPrint&Scan app from the Google Play Store.
- Check that your Brother printer and Android device are on the same Wi-Fi network.
Print From an Android to Brother Printer
To finalize a connection and print from your Android to a Brother Printer, take a look at the process below.
- Open the Brother iPrint&Scan app.
- From the main screen, select the file format you want to print and follow the prompts.
- Tap “Print Preview.”
- At the bottom of the screen, ensure that the correct printer is paired. If not, tap “Settings” and then “Printer.” Select the printer from the list. Then tap “Back.”
- Tap “Print all.”
How to Print Texts From an Android Phone
Most messaging apps have a share option available for conversations or individual messages. However, there is no direct way to print a conversation or message on most native text message apps or third-party chat apps.
Your best option is to screenshot the conversation and then print the screenshot. To print a screenshot of texts from an Android phone:
- Go to the text conversation you would like to print.
- Take a screenshot of the conversation by simultaneously pressing the power and down volume buttons.
- Go to “Files” and “Screenshots.”
- Select the screenshot and then press “Share.”
- Tap “Print” and select the printer. Follow the prompts to complete the print if there are any.
If you do not see any prompts, the printing should start automatically.
Many Ways to Print From an Android
There are many options to print from an Android device. Whether you print using Android’s native print settings or through an app, you should be able to get your documents printed quickly. Wireless printing is a wonderful tool for printing documents or photos without needing your computer.
Have you successfully printed from your Android device? What printer brand and app did you use? Let us all about it in the comments below!