How To Remove Open to Work in LinkedIn
LinkedIn offers many features that can aid your job hunting efforts. Besides making connections and applying to positions directly, you can also advertise that you are actively searching for a job using the Open to Work feature.
When you’re Open to Work on LinkedIn, a banner on your profile picture will let recruiters know they can freely contact you. But what if you’re no longer looking for a new position, or want to keep your search private? Remove Open to Work from your LinkedIn profile by following the instructions below.
How to Remove Open to Work
If you’ve found the right job, it’s a good idea to remove Open to Work from your profile so you don’t mislead recruiters still looking for candidates. You can edit your “Open to” status both on the website and in the mobile app.
How to Remove Open to Work in LinkedIn on a PC
To remove your Open to Work status from your LinkedIn profile on your PC, follow these steps.
- Open LinkedIn and make sure you’re logged in.
- Access your profile by clicking your icon on the left side of the screen. You can also click your profile icon in the top menu.
- Select “View Profile.”
Your “Open to” status is displayed in a box right under the main info on your profile. If the feature is enabled, you’ll see your preferred roles listed there. To remove or change your status, follow the steps below.
- Click the pencil button in the corner of the “Open to work” info box. A pop-up window will open.
- Find the “Delete from profile” option at the bottom of the window.
- Hit “Delete” in the pop-up, and the “Open to work” status will be removed from your profile.
If you’re still looking for a suitable job opportunity but don’t want to advertise this to the world, you can hide your status from other users. This way, only recruiters will see you’re job-hunting.
- Go to LinkedIn and open your profile by clicking your icon on the main feed.
- Find the “Open to Work” box in the top section of your profile.
- Click the pencil icon in the corner of the box to edit your preferences.
- Hit the down arrow next to “All LinkedIn Members.”
- Select “Recruiters Only.”
- Press “Save” to save the changes.
How to Remove Open to Work in the LinkedIn Mobile App
You can also change or remove your Open to Work status using the LinkedIn mobile app. Here’s how to remove the status from your profile on iOS and Android.
- Launch the iOS or Android LinkedIn app.
- Tap your profile picture on your main feed.
- Select “View Profile” under your name.
- You’ll see the “Open to Work” box at the top of your profile. Tap the pencil icon.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen to find “Delete from Profile.”
- Tap “Delete” once again in the pop-up.
If you want to stay open to new positions without letting other LinkedIn members know, change your preferences in the following way.
- Go to your Open to Work settings in the steps listed above.
- Tap “All LinkedIn Members.”
- Change it to “Recruiters only.”
- Save the changes.
How to Remove Open to Work in a LinkedIn Profile Picture
The #OpenToWork icon banner is a straightforward signal to all recruiters browsing profiles. It can be too obvious if you want to keep your job hunt more discreet. You can remove the banner from your icon by deleting Open to Work from your profile or changing it to Recruiters only using the instructions above. You can adjust this setting directly on your profile photo. Follow the steps below.
- Click the “Plus” icon on your profile.
- Press “View or edit profile photo.”
- Find the “Frames” option at the bottom of the pop-up window.
- Select the blank option to remove any banner from your icon.
- Click the “Apply” button.
- A pop-up will ask you whether you want to remove Open to Work from your profile or make it visible to recruiters only. Choose any of these options, both options will remove the banner.
Who can see my Open to Work status?
LinkedIn’s Open to Work feature makes it easier for recruiters to find interested candidates. However, your status is visible to all LinkedIn members by default. Changing the visibility to Recruiters only using the instructions above will ensure that your job-hunting status remains private.
Even when you’re only sharing your status with recruiters, LinkedIn strives to keep it hidden from recruiters related to your current company. Make sure your workplace is marked as “I am currently working here” on your profile to leverage this feature.
Why did my Open to Work status disappear?
The Open to Work status might disappear from your profile if you stop replying to InMail from recruiters. You’ll receive an email from LinkedIn asking you to confirm that you’re still open. If you missed this email, LinkedIn might have removed the status from your profile, but you can turn it back on anytime.
Keep Your Job Search Private
Your boss doesn’t need to know that you’re looking for a new position. Delete the Open to Work status from your profile or hide it from LinkedIn members. Make sure the banner on your photo doesn’t give your job searching efforts away.
Have you had any luck with LinkedIn’s Open to Work feature? Or do you prefer to keep your status private? Let us know in the comments section below.