How to Rename a Bluetooth Device
It can be challenging to keep track of all the Bluetooth connections inside your home or office, including speakers, headsets, buds, phones, and possibly a few cars. The default name that displays in the Bluetooth settings is frequently useless; for instance, many automobiles just name themselves “Car Multimedia.” Fortunately, you can give your Bluetooth devices new names that are easier to remember.
In this article, we’re going to show you all the procedures for renaming your Bluetooth device on different platforms.
How to Rename a Bluetooth Device on an iPhone
First, make sure your iPhone is linked to the Bluetooth device in order to alter the name. If a gadget isn’t linked to your iPhone, you can’t change its name. Once connected, proceed as follows:
- Select “Settings.”
- Open “Bluetooth.”
- To rename a connected device, tap on its icon.
- Choose “Name.”
- Enter the desired name here, then return to page one to complete the procedure.
Modifying a Bluetooth device’s name can help it stay unique, make detection simpler, and clean up your list of connected devices.
How to Rename a Bluetooth Device on an iPad
Follow these simple steps to change your iPad’s Bluetooth device name:
- Open “Settings.”
- Tap on “Bluetooth.”
- To rename a device, click on the info button to its right.
- This will access the device’s “Settings” page.
- The rename option is available by tapping the “Name” box.
- Enter the device’s desired name.
- Hit the “Enter” or “Return” key on the keyboard to save.
There is no “Save” or “Cancel” option on the rename page. Instead, pressing “Enter” or “Return” saves the input, while returning to the main page cancels it.
How to Rename a Bluetooth Device on a Mac
The added portability of a laptop like a Mac can make things more difficult when you need to find a specific Bluetooth device to connect to. Luckily, you can set your favorite Bluetooth-enabled items with their unique names by following these steps:
- Go to “System Preferences.”
- Click on “Bluetooth.”
- Right-click on the device you want to edit.
- Choose “Rename” from the pop-up menu options.
- Type the new name in the pop-up window.
- To complete, select “Rename” in the pop-up window and exit the settings menus.
Renaming the device might cause it to disconnect and you can find it under the new name shortly. Similar examples can be found elsewhere, such as the battery widget. Additionally, when you rename an Apple accessory, such as the AirPods, the new title is updated everywhere and appears in the Find My app and on iCloud.
If you don’t like the new title, you can easily switch it back to the previous one or use something different by following the methods outlined above.
Using the Control Panel, you can change the name of your Bluetooth device.
After connecting the device, follow this guide:
- Press the Start menu.
- To access the Control Panel, search for “control” and hit “OK.”
- In the Control Panel, select “Hardware and Sound.”
- Choose “Devices & Printers.”
- Find the Bluetooth device you wish to alter from the “Device” tab.
- Right-click on the device icon and choose “Properties.”
- Select “Properties” then go to “Connected Device.”
- To change the name of your Bluetooth device, type in the desired name.
- To save the modifications, click on “Apply” and “OK”.
The changed name can be found in the “Bluetooth & Devices” section. If the adjustment doesn’t take effect right away, select “Disconnect” from the kebab (three-dot) menu next to the device name. After that, reconnect the device to ensure that the name change is effective.
You must first turn on Windows 10 Bluetooth in order to change the name of a Bluetooth device. Once you’ve done that, stick to these instructions to rename your Bluetooth device:
- Select the Start menu, the Search icon, or the Search bar, depending on your Search bar settings.
- Write “Control Panel” in search and select the first result.
- Choose “Hardware and Sound” and then “Devices and Printers.”
- Right-click on the Bluetooth device whose name you wish to alter.
- Select “Properties.”
- Click on the “Bluetooth” tab and give the device a new name.
- In order to save your changes, click on “Apply” and then “OK.”
The modifications won’t go into effect right away. Turn your Windows 10 Bluetooth off after changing the device name, then wait for a while before turning it back on.
It’s easy to change the Bluetooth name, but the procedure may differ based on the Android smartphone you’re using. Typically, you should look under the “Connected Devices” area of the “Settings” menu. In general, follow these steps:
- Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap below the Bluetooth icon. In most cases, this starts Bluetooth or shows the list of devices. Select “More settings” if needed.
Alternatively, you can go to the “Settings” app and select “Bluetooth” from there. This is more universal.
- Find the device you want to rename on the list of connected devices.
- To modify the name, tap on it to open a text box.
- Click “Rename” or “Save” after you type in a new device name.
Instead of “Connected Devices,” you may see “Connection Preferences” on some devices. Tap on it and continue as directed by the rest of the instructions. Additionally, changing the name with a simple click on some devices is not possible. Instead, you need to click on the kebab menu to access the “Edit device name” feature.
Can You Rename a Bluetooth Device on a Chromebook?
There was an option to change the names of Bluetooth devices after pairing them with the Chromebook. Unfortunately, with the 2015 update, this option was removed.
How do you update the Bluetooth driver on Windows?
Follow this guide to do so:
1. Search for “Device Manager” by using the “Windows” key.
2. Look for “Bluetooth.”
3. Click right mouse button on the driver.
4. Select “Update Driver.”
Devise a Device Name
Even though changing the name of your Bluetooth device is not required to use it, it greatly simplifies your experience. You can rename any Bluetooth device you own to anything you choose and keep them more organized.
Do you rename your Bluetooth devices often? Which of the methods above was the easiest for you to follow? If you know some alternative methods or have additional questions, let us know in the comments below!