Can You Play Roblox on Chromebook?
Moving from a Windows PC to a Chromebook might cause some difficulties with your favorite apps and games like Roblox. Recently, however, this became much easier to do.
In this article, we’ll show how Roblox can work on Chromebook and provide several different methods to make the transition far smoother.
Method No. 1 – The Play Store
The easiest way to get Roblox on Chromebook is to download it from Google Play Store. Yes, contrary to what you might have read, this is now possible. Here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure your device is compatible with Google Play Store. Some older models of Chromebook might not support it. If your device is on this list, you’re good to go.
- You’ll need to enable the Play Store first. Go to the Quick Settings Panel at the bottom right (where the clock is), then click the Settings icon. Scroll down to Google Play Store and turn it on.
- Read and accept the terms of service and that’s it – the Play Store is active.
Now you can download and install Roblox from the provided link.
Everything’s set! You can start enjoying the game.
NOTE: This is the only method that involves Google Play Store. The following are methods for users who don’t have that option available.
Method No. 2 – Playing Remotely
Your Chromebook can make a remote connection to another computer. If you, a friend, or a family member have a Mac or PC with Roblox installed, this will be the most direct way you can play Roblox on Chromebook. The game itself needs to be only on the other computer, but you’ll have to install the Chrome web browser and Chrome Remote Desktop on both devices.
Launch the Chrome Remote Desktop app both on Chromebook and the computer and follow the instructions to connect. If you don’t plan on doing this often, choose the Remote Assistance option. Otherwise, choose My Computers to set up a permanent connection. For that, Chrome Remote Desktop Host will have to be installed on the computer your device is pairing with.
After you’ve done all this, you’ll be able to run Roblox remotely on your Chromebook.
Method No. 3 – Direct APK Installation
You can install the Roblox Android app directly from file in two ways: by “sideloading” or via Google’s ARC Welder app.
Sideloading means installing apps from file, without the use of Google Play Store. It’s done on Android systems, so this method will only work if your device can run Android apps. If your Chromebook doesn’t have access to the Play Store, however, there’s a good chance it’s also not compatible with Android!
To sideload the Roblox app, follow these steps:
- Turn on the Developer Mode on your device. This will disable OS verification, and wipe the storage of your Chromebook. Don’t worry – everything on Chrome OS is already synced online. After this step, your device will display a warning screen every time it’s booted. It might look scary, but the warning is easily dismissed by hitting Ctrl+D.
- Go to Settings, navigate to Android Apps and click App Settings. A new window will open. Next, go to Security and, under Device Administration enable Unknown Sources. This will enable you to install apps from files on the device. You’ll see a warning message about being careful with this kind of installation. If you want to use this method for other apps, always make sure the source you’re downloading from is reliable and verified!
- Now you can install Roblox from an APK file. Download it here and proceed to the next step.
- Launching APK files isn’t possible from the Android built-in file manager, so you’ll have to install another file manager app. After you’ve done that, open the manager, go to Download and find the Roblox APK. Launch it, choose Package Installer, and the installation will start.
- Now you can run Roblox on your Chromebook as if it was installed the usual way!
This useful program can run Android apps on Chrome OS. All you have to do is download it from the Chrome Web Store, install, and open it. The file size is about 200MB, so be ready for a longer download. Once it’s launched, hit the Choose button, select the Downloads folder (where the Roblox APK is) and click Open. On the next screen, you’ll see the Add your APK button. Click on it, find the Roblox APK, and hit Open. You’ll be asked to pick from different options – choose Landscape orientation and Tablet form factor.
This will launch the Roblox app once to test it. Your playtime for one session is unlimited, but you’ll have to go through the same process every time you want to run Roblox again. To avoid that, you can use the ARC Welder to install Roblox as an extension. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the Chrome browser, go to the three dots icon, then More tools, then Extensions.
- In the top right corner, enable Developer mode. You’ll see a new menu below.
- Click the Load unpacked button.
- Next, find the exported folder for the Roblox app (should be in Downloads) and choose Open.
Now the game will be in your app drawer and you can run it like all others.
Method No.4 – The Linux Way
Another method would be to install Linux OS on your Chromebook, and then try to run Roblox through a virtual machine or program that lets you run Windows apps on Linux. Sounds simple, but it would take another whole article to explain this method thoroughly, so we won’t attempt it here! Besides, it might not give you a smooth gaming experience, so only try it if nothing else works.
Get Your Blox On!
Hopefully, you can now make Roblox work on your Chromebook the easiest way possible. But if you need to resort to more complicated methods, don’t despair! All it takes is a bit more work, but once you put the effort in, the awesome game platform will be there waiting for you!
Did you manage to get Roblox to work on Chromebook? What method did you use? Tell us in the comments section below!