How To Find the IP Address of a Roku Device
Knowing your Roku’s IP address can be particularly handy when you need to connect it to a new network or if you are having issues with your connection. Fortunately, there are four ways you can find out your Roku’s IP address and each of them only requires a couple of steps.
The easiest way to find out your Roku’s IP address is with your remote control. However, you can do it just as quickly without the remote control using the mobile app, the web browser, or your router. We will go through the process of checking your Roku’s IP address using each of these methods.
How to Find a Roku IP Address Using the Remote Control
As mentioned above, the easiest and quickest way you can find your Roku’s IP address is with the remote control. To find out how it’s done, follow the steps below:
- Turn on Roku TV. You will immediately be taken to the home screen.
- Use your remote to open the menu on the top of your screen.
- Use the down button until you find “Settings” on the menu.
- Press on the “OK” button on your remote.
- Continue to “Network” in the submenu.
- Use the “OK” button on your remote to select “About.”
When the new screen appears, you will be able to see your Roku’s IP address on the right side of the screen. Apart from your IP address, you can access other types of information at this point, such as the name of the network, status, connection type, signal strength, and much more.
Once you write down the IP address, you can just use your remote to go back to the home page and continue watching whatever you want.
How to Find a Roku IP Address Using a Web Browser
If you can’t find your remote control at the moment, you can use the web browser to find out your Roku’s IP address instead. To be more precise, we will be using a Google Chrome extension called Remoku, which serves as a virtual replacement for your remote control. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Search for the Google Chrome Web Store or simply type in “Chrome apps.”
- Type in “Remoku” in the search bar. There should be only one extension on the results page.
- Click on the “Add to Chrome” button on the right side of the extension.
- Select “Add” on the pop-up menu.
The Remoku extension will be automatically added to your Bookmarks bar in the upper-right corner of your browser. It looks like a black square with the letter “R” in it. When you open the app, it will look like a virtual remote control. Here’s what you need to do next:
- Click on the extension icon in the corner of the screen. This will open the app.
- Select “Settings” on the top menu.
- Click on the “Scan” button next to “How many Rokus?”
That’s all there is to it. Your Roku’s IP address should appear under the “Find my Roku” section. It’s divided into three parts next to “My Network.” If you want to write down your IP address, you can type it in next to the “Manual add” section. You can also remove it if you want.
Since this extension works as a virtual remote control, you will be able to do all the same things you would with a physical remote control. For example, you can use this web app to switch between channels, control the volume, turn Roku TV on and off, and much more.
Keep in mind that while this method is quick and easy, it might not always work with all versions of Roku.
How to Find a Roku IP Address Using the Mobile App
You can also use the Roku mobile app to find your Roku’s IP address. In case you still don’t have it, you can install the Roku mobile app on your iPhone or Android device. After you download the app, here’s what you need to do next:
- Launch the app on your phone.
- Log into your account if you haven’t already.
- Head over to the “My Channels” tab.
- Tap on the settings icon in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Find “System Info” on the list of options.
Your Roku’s IP address will be located in the “System Info” tab, along with other information about your network.
How to Find a Roku IP Address From Your Router
The final method we will go through involves using your router to find out your Roku’s IP address. Although this method may be somewhat complicated, you can try it if all else fails.
Keep in mind that this isn’t possible on every type of router. While the majority of routers allow you to find out which devices your Roku is linked to, they may not give you the option to view that device’s name or its IP or MAC address. In any case, the only way to find out if this method will work is by trying it out yourself.
Here’s what you need to do to find your Roku’s IP address with your router:
- Open your browser on your PC or laptop.
- Go to the admin interface of your router. It can usually be found at the same place as your router’s IP address.
- Sign in to the router if you are required to.
- Navigate to the “Status” page.
- Locate the Roku device on this page. It should be listed by its hostname.
- If you still can’t find it, look for your Roku device under “MAC addresses.”
Your Roku’s IP address should be next to the name of the Roku device. Although this method involves some deep searching, it could help you if the first three didn’t work.
Find Your Roku’s IP Address in a Jiffy
Now you know how to find your Roku’s IP address using the remote control. You also know how to do this with the web browser, mobile app, and your router. Once you find your Roku’s IP address, be sure to write it down somewhere, so you won’t have to go through the same process twice.
Have you ever tried to look for your Roku’s IP address before? Did you use any of the methods outlined in this guide? Which method works best for you? Let us know in the comments section below.