How to Print an Invoice on Shopify
Sending an invoice for your goods is an essential part of managing your online store and keeping sales records. When you create a draft order for your client, you can send them an invoice via email. This invoice contains all the payment details your customer needs to have to pay for the products and complete the purchase.
However, sometimes you need to print invoices, mainly if you ship your products to large retailers. This article will guide you through printing invoices for your Shopify customers.
How to Print Invoices
There are multiple ways to print invoices from Shopify. You can print from Shopify POS or use the Shopify admin page. In both cases, you’ll be using the Order Printer app. Below are the steps you need to follow in both examples.
Printing from Shopify POS
If you opt for printing from Shopify POS, here’s what to do:
- When you’re ready to confirm the order, choose Apps from that same page.
- Select the Print with Order Printer option.
- Opt for a packing slip or an invoice. You can also print both or adjust print settings, such as setting the number of copies.
- After you set the desired options, choose Print.
If you want to skip manual settings each time you need to print an invoice, you can create a template to use as your default invoice. Here’s how:
- Open the admin’s page and then Apps.
- From your Shopify apps, select Order Printer.
- Select the Manage templates option.
- Choose what you want to print by default. This is an excellent option if you only print invoices, and not packing slips.
Remember that you can also save the invoice as a PDF file to keep on your computer or mobile device.
Printing from Shopify Admin
Here’s how to print an invoice from your admin panel:
- Open your Shopify admin.
- Select Orders.
- Find the desired order and select it.
- Next to Print order, click on More actions.
- Choose Print with Order Printer from the drop-down list.
- On the next screen, you’ll need to choose what to print from the menu in the upper-right corner.
- Select Invoice. (And Packing slip, if needed.)
- Select the blue Print button in the upper-right corner.
Other Ways to Print an Invoice
Using the Order Printer within Shopify is free. However, there are several other apps compatible with Shopify that let you print invoices. They usually contain more bookkeeping features and are typically not free. However, if you have one of these apps, you can use them to customize and print your Shopify invoices. Some of them have a free trial, so you can make sure they suit you before you pay the subscription.
Some of these apps are:
- Sufio, which offers a two-week free trial and costs $19 a month after the trial’s over.
- PrintHero, which costs $14.99 per month, and comes with a week-long free trial.
- Printout Designer, which will cost you $4.99 a month after you complete the 14-day free trial.
- Wholesale Catalog Maker, which costs $25 per month after the two-week free trial.
How to Create Orders and Invoices
Some of the apps we mentioned in the previous section also let you to create and customize invoices. There are ways to do this within the Shopify app, too.
Shopify offers you a simple, free tool to create invoices in no time at all. Open this link on your device, enter your company’s details, and that’s it. You’ll get a professional-looking invoice with your company’s logo on it, with all the necessary info to complete the order and charge for your products.
To complete the invoice, you need to follow these steps:
- Enter your company’s info, such as the name, address, and zip code.
- Enter your client’s info, such as their name, email address, and city.
- Enter the order info, such as the product name, quantity, and price.
You can also add a memo if necessary, and see the subtotal below, including the taxes. You can download the invoice, print it, or send it as an email. Note that these invoices, despite their professional look, need to be checked by a tax advisor before you use them as official documentation.
Send an Invoice as Email
When you send your customer an email invoice, they’ll be able to proceed to the checkout page by following the link included in the email. This link allows them to make a payment and complete the purchase. Here’s how to send it:
- After you’ve created an order, select Email invoice.
- A new dialogue will open, so type in the note you want to attach to the invoice.
- Choose Review email to see if all the information is entered correctly.
- Click on Send notification to complete the action.
This process is almost the same when you’re using a mobile device. After you open Orders within the Shopify app, select Draft orders, and choose the desired option. Under Invoice, find Email invoice and follow the previously described steps to send it.
Sending Invoices and Packing Slips
Invoices and packing slips are necessary for shipping your products to your customers. While a packing slip contains product info, the invoice you create has all the payment info, as well as delivery details. Your customers will use the invoice to make payments to your store. This article showed you how to print these documents, as well as send them via email if necessary.
How do you create invoices? And how will you print them? Let us know in the comments section below.