How To Fix Sims 4 Mods Not Showing Up
Mods are a major part of Sims 4, adding endless new features, from personality tweaks to unlimited money. They let you bring fantasies to life and add depth to an already extensive sandbox simulation. However, sometimes, newly downloaded mods fail to show up in the game, and consequently, don’t work.
This guide will explain how to fix mods not showing up in Sims 4 on Windows and Mac PCs. Additionally, we’ll provide instructions on recovering a missing mod folder. Read on to fix this common issue and enjoy new possibilities in Sims 4.
Sims 4 Mods Not Showing Up on a Windows PC
If your Sims 4 mod isn’t working, the first step is to check the mod compatibility on its download page. Mods created for older Sims games usually aren’t compatible with Sims 4. And even those explicitly made for Sims 4 may not have been updated for the latest game version yet.
If the mod page contains different mod versions, ensure your downloaded version corresponds with the game version.
However, if the issue doesn’t lie in the mod incompatibility, it could be related to your mod files being unzipped incorrectly. Here’s how to unzip the mod package:
- Open the File Explorer. It can be found via the Start menu or by typing File Explorer into the search bar.
- Head to your Sims 4 Mods folder and check whether there is any zipped file.
- If yes, right-click the zipped file and select Extract All.
If you’ve unzipped the mod package correctly but the mod still isn’t working, follow the steps below:
- Launch Sims 4.
- Head to the game’s main menu.
- Click Game Options, then Other.
- Select Enable Custom Content and Mods.
- Check the box next to Script Mods Allowed.
- Click Apply Changes.
- Restart the game.
If the mod doesn’t work after all these steps, chances are, you need to update the game. Some of the older versions don’t support mods at all. To update the game, do this:
- Head to EA Games website and find Sims 4.
- Right-click it and select Check for update. If a newer version is available, it will install automatically.
- Don’t forget to enable mods again after the update, as EA updates disable mods.
Sims 4 Mods Not Showing Up on a Mac
There are multiple reasons mods may not be showing up on your Mac. The most common cause is mods being disabled in the game settings. To fix this, follow the steps below:
- Open Sims 4.
- From the main menu, head to Game Options.
- Select Other.
- Press Enable Custom Content and Mods.
- Select Script Mods Allowed.
- Click Apply Changes and restart your game. The mods should now show up.
If mods were enabled or the first step didn’t work, you may have to check whether the mod package is unzipped correctly. To do so, follow the instructions below:
- Head to your Sims 4 Mods folder.
- Search for your mod files.
- If they’re in a compressed folder, double-click it. The folder will unzip automatically in the same main folder.
If the steps above don’t alleviate the issue, you may need to check the mod compatibility. This can usually be done on the mod’s download page. Make sure the downloaded mod version corresponds with your current game version and that you’ve made the necessary game updates.
If you haven’t updated Sims 4 for a while, it could have stopped supporting mods. Here’s how to fix that:
- Head to EA Games official site.
- Find Sims 4.
- Right-click the game and select Check for update. If any updates are available, they will install automatically.
- Enable mods again after the update.
Sims 4 Trait Mods Not Showing Up
Technically, trait mods in Sims 4 aren’t much different from any other type of mods. If your downloaded trait mods don’t show up in Sims 4, ensure that mods are enabled altogether. Here’s how to do that:
- Launch the game.
- Click Game Options.
- Click Other, then Enable Custom Content and Mods.
- Select Script Mods Allowed.
- Click Apply Changes.
- Restart the game. This is necessary for the changes to take place.
Sometimes the problem lies in incompatibility. To check mod compatibility with your game version, check out its download page. You can usually find mod compatibility and game version requirements there.
If the mod is made for an older or newer version of Sims 4, it won’t appear in the game. To update your game, follow the steps below:
- Go to EA Games’ official site.
- Find Sims 4 among your installed games.
- Right-click the game and select Check for update.
- Updates will install automatically. Enable mods afterward, as EA Games updates disable them.
If the mod itself needs an update, make sure to leave a comment about it on its download page. However, if there is no issue with compatibility, try checking whether the mod package is unzipped. Depending on your PC operating system, the instructions for unzipping a folder differ slightly.
On a Windows PC, right-click the folder and select Extract All. On a Mac, simply double-click the folder, and it will extract the files.
Lastly, if none of these steps help, you may want to look online for users with a similar issue. Head to Sims 4 or EA Games forums and search for threads dedicated to that specific trait and the term “mod not working.” Perhaps, the issue is well-known, and The Sims 4 community has already found a solution.
Sims 4 Mod Folder Not Showing Up
Sometimes, the mods may not show up because you don’t have a mod folder or can’t find it to unzip the mod package.
First, make sure you look in the right place.
Sims 4 files are stored in two folders, one located in Program Files and the second one in Documents/Electronic Arts/TheSims4. Check the second location. If the folder is not there, chances are you’ve accidentally deleted it, or the game failed to create it. Not to worry – that’s fixable.
Head to your Recycle Bin and check for the “Mods” folder. If it’s there, recover it. If it’s not, don’t simply create a new folder – this won’t work. Instead, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Sims 4 game.
- If mods are enabled in the game settings, disable them, and restart the game. Then, relaunch the game and enable mods. However, if mods were disabled, do the opposite and enable them and then restart the game.
- Check for a newly created Mods folder in your Documents/Electronic Arts/TheSims4 folder. Ensure it contains the resource.cfg file.
Help the Creators
Hopefully, our guide has helped you get The Sims 4 mods working. As you see, most of the time, the fix is simple. However, some mod creators fail to update them regularly, and this isn’t always their fault.
The Sims 4 updates rather frequently, so if you notice a mod needs an update, give a shout to the creator – the community will be thankful. Of course, you should also regularly check for updates to prevent your game version from becoming outdated.
What are your favorite Sims 4 mods? Share your top picks in the comments section below.