How to Hide Your Score in SnapChat
Snapchat sets itself apart from other social networks through the so-called “Snapscore.”
Your Snapscore counts the snaps you send, how many you receive, as well as the stories you post, then considers some “mysterious” factors as the developers describe the algorithm behind it. So essentially, your activity on the platform is expressed through a number that other users can see. Think of it like a high score in games.
While Snapchat doesn’t offer the option of completely hiding your score, there are a few things you can do to allow only certain people to see it. This article will cover how to hide your Snapscore for both Android and iOS.
Hiding Your Score
There is currently no option in the Snapchat app to hide your score. Some third-party apps might claim that it can be done with their services, but don’t trust those. Logging into another app with your Snapchat information can lead to identity theft or losing access to your account.
The steps you can take to hide your Snapscore are privacy-related and include the following:
- Limiting who can contact you.
- Removing/Blocking the person you want to hide your score from.
However, please keep in mind neither of these can hide your score completely.
How to Limit Who Can Contact You on Snapchat
No matter what operating system your phone runs on, the process of limiting contact is the same. Once you open up the app the steps are as follows:
- When the app launches and opens the front camera, tap on your avatar icon in the upper left corner.
- Tap the gear icon in the upper right corner to enter Settings.
- Scroll down the menu to the “Privacy Controls” section.
- Tap the first “Contact Me” option.
- There you will be offered three options. Pick the first one — “Friends.”
- Confirm your choice.
When your profile is set up this way, only the people you approve as friends will be able to see your Snapscore. Others who come across your profile won’t be able to see any of your information, including the score.
How to Remove or Block Someone on Snapchat
The other way of keeping your score private is to block or remove a person you don’t want seeing it. Removing someone from your friends list will not prevent them from seeing or coming to your page or stories, but they will not be able to see your score in any way. In order to block or remove someone, you need to:
- Tap your avatar icon in the upper left corner.
- Scroll down to the “Friends” section.
- Tap “My Friends” to access the list.
- Finds the person you don’t want seeing your score.
- Tap and hold down on their avatar, this will offer you two options.
- Tap the “3 Horizontal Dots” on the right-corner.
- Then, tap “Manage Friendship.”
- Choose either “Block” or “Remove Friend.”
Keep in mind that blocking someone is the more “serious” option than removing them. They won’t be able to see you if they search your name or contact you in any way through the app.
If you care about your Snapscore, you should also know that removing people will lower it. By removing people from your friends list, you lower the number of people you can interact with. And as mentioned before, the Snapscore is based on how many snaps you send to and receive from others.
Can I reset my SnapSore?
You can’t reset your score. The only way to start from zero is to register a new profile.
Keep It Snappy
At first glance, your Snapscore might be considered offputting and a breach of your privacy since other people can see it. But on the other side, the score doesn’t reveal much when it comes to personal information. It is just a metric of how active someone is. With the option of allowing a select group of people to be able to see it, you can protect your activity reasonably well and not worry about it.
Do you think Snapchat should add the ability to hide your score? Make sure to tell us in the comments!
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.