How To Speed Up Steam Downloads
Steam is still one of the most popular gaming platforms on PC, with millions of active users. The app offers a massive number of games which can be purchased at affordable prices and played instantly. Well, not really instantly. First, you need to download your game, which can be difficult at times. Modern games are becoming larger every year because of all the graphics and customization improvements. AAA titles can take up to 100 GB of space, which is enormous compared to game sizes from just 5 years ago.
Downloads take a lot longer than they used to, primarily because of the larger file sizes, but your download speed also plays a significant role. Other gamers would tell you to get a better connection or get off the McDonald’s Wi-Fi, but sometimes games download forever even if you have ultrafast fiber-optic internet. This problem is usually not due to your bandwidth connection but rather due to in-app issues or even your computer.
Read on to find out how to speed up your steam downloads.
Top 5 Ways to Download Steam Games Faster
Don’t lose hope if your Steam download speed remains the same after trying out one of these methods. Go through all of them and you will surely see some improvement.
1. Terminate Unnecessary Processes
Everyone should know this one, but it needs to be mentioned.
- Open up Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete and selecting it or by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Now, close all browsers and other programs, which can affect your download speed.
- Look at the Network tab to see if something is hogging your bandwidth, if it is, simply click on End task after selecting the program that is giving you trouble and it should close right away.
2. Give Priority to Steam Downloads
You can also use the Task Manager to assure maximum download speed on Steam.
- Make sure Steam is running and then open Task Manager.
- Find the Steam Client on the list of processes, right-click it, and click Go to details.
- Now, in the Details window, you need to right-click the SteamService.exe process and set its priority to High. This method might not do wonders for your Steam download speed, but at least it will prioritize it over the other currently running programs.
Note: Windows 10 does not save the setting after shutting down. You’ll need to switch the priority level after every bootup.
3. Check Your Download Region and Bandwidth Limit
Did you know that Steam uses your location for downloads? Your download speed will be affected by the region you are in, but Steam can sometimes detect the wrong region. For optimal results, you should always select your region or one closest to you.
You can choose your region by following these steps:
- Open Steam and click on the Steam menu in the top-left corner and select Settings.
- Now, click on the Downloads section.
- From here, you will see the Download Region dropdown menu where you can select the region closest to you.
- Also, ensure that the Limit bandwidth to option is set to No limit.
Note that sometimes the region closest to you is not the most suitable option. This scenario is due to high traffic in that region, so selecting a different location can sometimes actually increase your download speed, even if it is further away.
4. Disable Your Antivirus and Firewall
Sometimes your firewall or antivirus programs interfere with your download speeds. Try to disable each of them to see if there is any change. Check out the manual or website of your antivirus provider to see how to disable it.
- Open the Start menu, type “firewall”, and then select Windows Defender Firewall.
- Then, select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Finally, you need to confirm this by selecting the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall checkbox and then pressing OK.
5. Optimize Your Internet Connection
Not everyone can afford the best internet connection speeds, but at least you can optimize it to its full potential. First of all, try to use an Ethernet connection when downloading anything, including games on Steam. Wi-Fi does not always provide optimal download speeds.
Ensure your LAN drivers are up to date to reap the full benefits of this type of connection. Many programs can easily update all your drivers, but most of them are expensive. SlimDrivers comes in both free and premium versions, which are suitable for downloading all the latest drivers.
Increasing Download Speeds in Steam
In closing, slow internet speeds are one of the most frustrating things in modern society. Hopefully, this will help you download your games faster, just in time for the next big Steam sale.
Did any of these suggestions help? Do you know of any more tricks? Feel free to share them with the community in the comments below.