How to Sync Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar
Typically, every day starts and ends with a look at your Google Calendar. However, if you’re using Google and Outlook calendars simultaneously, it’s easy to get confused.
The solution is simple—synchronize your Google and Outlook accounts. If you’re interested in finding out how to sync both calendar apps, keep reading. This article explains the Google/Outlook calendar sync process on various devices and tells you how to do it successfully.
Use an Outlook Link to Sync Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar
Before you can sync Outlook and Google Calendar using one of several devices, you must first obtain an Outlook link. Synchronization of the two calendars doesn’t require any additional plug-ins or extensions, as both platforms use the same format.
Here’s how to get the link from Outlook:
- Open your Office 365 account.
- Go to Outlook and click on Settings, then View All Outlook Settings.
- Click on Calendar, then Shared Calendars.
- In the Publish Calendar section, you can get the link you need.
- Select Calendar, then Can view all details, and then click Publish.
- Copy the ICS link (below the HTML link at the bottom) to use later in Google.
- Once you’ve acquired your Outlook calendar link, it’s time to finish the synchronization. Open Google Calendar.
- Tap on Other calendars + at the bottom of the page.
- Now, click on From URL.
- Paste the link saved and tap on Add calendar.
- In the Other calendars section in the bottom left area, you’ll see your Outlook calendar that you can select. The sync process is now complete.
You can save the calendar, change its colors, or even rename it. If you ever decide to disconnect the two calendars, you can do it by merely hovering over the calendar’s name and clicking on the X icon.
How to Sync Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar on iPhone or iPad
If you’re using your calendar mainly on your iPhone, there are several options to consider if you plan to sync the two calendars. One option would be to create multiple accounts for emails, but that won’t solve the problem overall.
The best solution is to add both calendars to your iPhone or iPad Calendar app. There you’ll be able to see all your meetings in a clear and organized manner without syncing Google and Outlook accounts. Plus, the process is straightforward, and it won’t take a lot of your time. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
- Choose Calendar from the list.
- Tap on Accounts.
- Add your Google and Outlook accounts to your iPhone or iPad.
- Slide the Calendars toggle to the right to sync all calendars.
Once you complete the process, all data will automatically appear on your calendar app, and you’ll no longer experience problems such as double booking or overlapping meetings.
How to Sync Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar on Android
Should you want to use multiple calendars on your Android phone or tablet, one of the best solutions is to install the free Microsoft Outlook app. Once you have it on your phone, you can choose to connect it to the Google Calendar to have all your schedules in one place.
Here’s how you can install Microsoft Outlook on your Android phone:
- Open the Google Play Store.
- Find Microsoft Outlook and tap on Install.
- When the process finishes, tap on Open and sign into your account.
- In the popup that appears, link your account to other Google accounts.
How to Sync Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar on Mac
Sometimes it’s easier to keep two calendars updated on the same platform rather than synchronizing them. If you prefer to use Google Calendar through Outlook, there’s a way to do it. The first step is to install the Outlook app on your Mac and then connect it to the Google account you’re using. Here’s how the process works:
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- Click on Outlook, then Preferences.
- Select Accounts, then click on the + in the lower-left corner.
- Tap on New Account and log in to your Google account with your credentials.
- Click on Continue.
- Decide which Google account you want to synchronize and tap on it.
- When asked to authorize Microsoft Apps to access your calendar, click on Allow.
- In the popup, click on Open Microsoft Account, then tap on Done.
- Click on the calendar icon to see all your Google Calendar events in Outlook.
How to Sync Outlook Calendar with Gmail
Although Gmail doesn’t have an official desktop app, it still works well with Microsoft Outlook, providing users with the best of both worlds. Here’s what you need to do to sync Outlook Calendar with Gmail:
- Open your Gmail account.
- Tap on the gear icon to open Settings.
- Tap on the Forwarding POP/IMAP and ensure it’s checked.
- Click Save Changes.
- Now it’s time to connect the two accounts. Open your Outlook account.
- Tap on File, then Add Account.
- Enter your Gmail address and select Advanced options.
- Choose Let me set up my account manually.
- Click on Connect.
- Add input info for IMAP account settings.
- Enter your password and tap on Connect.
- When the account setup becomes complete, click on OK.
How to Sync Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar on a PC
Syncing Outlook and Google Calendar is not a particularly simple process. Here’s how you can connect your Outlook calendar with Google’s:
- Open your Google Calendar.
- Click on the gear icon, then tap on Settings.
- Select Import & export, then choose Export to download the .ics files.
- Open Microsoft Outlook and tap on File.
- In the left sidebar, click on Open & Export.
- In the Open menu (to the right of the sidebar), choose Import/Export.
- When you see the popup window, select Import an iCalender (.ics) or vCalendar… option from the list and click on Next.
- Find the .ics file you downloaded/exported from Google Calendar and tap on OK.
- In the popup confirmation, click Import to add the exported Google calendar to Outlook or Open as New to make a new one. All your Google items will show up on your Outlook Calendar with the Import option.
Later, you can save the calendar, change its colors, and rename it. If you ever decide to disconnect the two calendars, you can do it by merely hovering over the calendar’s name and clicking on the “X” icon.
How to Import a Google Calendar into Outlook
Sometimes, users find it easier to use Google Calendar directly through Outlook. However, it requires a lengthy synchronization process between the two accounts.
- The first thing is to have your Google Calendar ready for the merge. Open “Google Calendar.”
- Hover over the calendar you want to share and click on the “vertical ellipsis” (three-dot icon).
- Click on “Settings and Sharing,” then scroll down and select “Integrate Calendar.”
- Look for and copy the “Secret Address in iCal Format” URL.
- Now, it’s time to transfer the data to Outlook. Visit “Outlook.com” and select “Outlook Calendar.”
- Select “Add Calendar -> From Internet.”
- Paste the address you’ve copied, and tap on “OK.”
Now, you can access all your Google Calendar meetings on Outlook and have everything in one place.
In closing, having just one calendar that incorporates all your meetings, appointments, and calls helps keep you organized without confusion. Synchronizing both Google Calendar and Outlook Calendar prevents missed events for home or work and enables you to avoid duplicate bookings if you run a customer-based business. Also, since you may have multiple accounts, you can now connect all of them regardless of whether you’re using each one on a phone or computer.