How Turn Off Instagram Story Notifications
Since it was founded in 2010, Instagram has become the go-to platform for people who want to share their lives with friends, family, and the general public. One of the features that have struck a chord among users is Instagram Stories.
To ensure you don’t miss out on the best Stories from the people you follow, Instagram automatically sends you a notification every time someone updates their Stories. But those same notifications can also be a distraction for some and may keep you glued to your device even when you should be focusing on other important tasks.
Can You Turn Off JUST Instagram Story Notifications?
Instagram Stories offer a raw glimpse into the world of whomever you follow. It’s like getting the opportunity to watch someone else live out their life – even if it’s just a minute or two a day.
Story notifications are great when you want to always be in the loop, but they can also be annoying when you’re trying to avoid social media, perhaps to concentrate on some other task.
In addition, Story notifications are more frequent than other types of notifications because most people use stories to keep their followers hooked on their profiles. As such, Story notifications can be more disruptive than the other less frequent types of alerts.
But we’ve got good news: you can turn off notifications from just Instagram Stories and continue receiving other types of notifications that might be important. If you’re keen to grow your brand, for example, you might still want to be notified whenever there’s a new follow request to respond to.
Instagram goes a step further. You have the option to mute Instagram Stories from everyone or just turn off alerts from a specific user.
Let’s see how each of these options works.
How to Turn Off all Instagram Story Notifications
Instagram comes with settings that allow you to customize your alerts and choose what types of notifications you receive. But you can also choose to turn off all Story notifications if you want to take a “sabbatical” from the platform or simply avoid social media for a while.
Here’s how to turn off all Instagram Story notifications on a mobile device:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Tap on your avatar in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Tap on the hamburger icon (the three horizontal lines) in the upper right corner. This should open the management section of your account.
- Select “Settings” from the resulting dropdown menu.
- Tap on “Notifications.”
- Select “Posts, Stories, and Comments” from the notification’s submenu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and toggle the “Off” button under “First Posts and Stories.”
And with that, you won’t have to deal with pesky Story notifications on your device.
You can also turn off all Instagram Story notifications when using a web browser such as Internet Explorer or Chrome. Here’s how to go about it:
- Sign in to your Instagram account.
- Tap on your profile picture in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Select “Settings” from the popup menu.
- Click on “Push Notifications.” This should open a new page where you can manage all types of notifications, including likes, comments, new follow requests and Stories.
- To turn off all Story notifications, simply toggle the “Off” button next to “Stories.”
How to Turn Off Instagram Story Notifications From a Specific User
Whenever someone you’re following updates their Stories, Instagram will send you a notification in real-time. This can be extremely helpful if you’re following someone for work or want to keep tabs on your friends’ lives.
However, there may come a time when you no longer want to get notifications from a specific user. Maybe they have a habit of posting items that rub you the wrong way, or their Instagram activity is too frequent to keep up with. Too many updates from a single user can hijack your feed and make it difficult to view new Stories from other users.
Whatever the reason, you can easily turn the alerts off and keep your notification area quiet and clean.
Here’s how to turn off Story alerts from a specific user when you’re using a mobile device:
- Open the user’s profile.
- Tap on the bell-shaped notification icon in the top right corner.
- Toggle off the button next to “Stories.”
- Open one of their Story updates.
- Tap on the post’s ellipsis (three horizontal lines) in the top right corner.
- Tap on “Turn off Story Notifications.”
If you’re running Instagram via the Instagram TV app for Android or iOS, here’s how to turn off Story notifications from a specific user:
- Open the user’s profile. You can do so by tapping their username in Feed or by searching for their username.
- Tap on “Following.”
- Toggle off the button next to “Stories.”
And that’s it. After taking these steps, you won’t receive a push notification every time the user shares a photo or video.
Declutter Your Notification Area
Instagram stories are great, but they can also be annoying. On the one hand, you don’t want to miss out on important notifications from your friends and family. On the other, you want to steer clear of highly active profiles that update their Stories many times a day with content that may not add value to your brand or business. It’s also possible you simply want to avoid spending too much time on Instagram.
If you’ve found yourself in any of these situations, the best thing is to turn off alerts from the specific people inundating you with posts. Alternatively, you can toggle off all Story alerts and declutter your notification area for as long as you wish.
Are you an Instagram enthusiast? Have you tried to turn off all Story notifications?
Feel free to share your experience in the comments section below.