How to Turn Off Labels in Google Maps
Labels are indispensable Google Maps features that help us find places with ease. However, a map filled with pins and flags wherever you look can be extremely distracting when you’re just trying to navigate.
Switching off Google Maps Labels would help you see your route more clearly, but finding a way to do this can be challenging. So, let’s look at a few ways to get rid of your Google Maps Labels on different platforms.
What Are Labels in Google Maps?
When you open up Google Maps, you may see pins all over the place. You can save any of them to custom lists so you can browse them later. However, another effective way to categorize and organize places is by labeling them.
Labels are a less-known Google Maps feature that can make your life easier. Labeling a place will essentially give it your own tag so you can search for it faster. This feature is especially useful for places you visit often. You won’t have to enter the name or address of the place every time, which can be an ordeal. You can simply search for the Label and pick the place from the list.
You can label existing pins on the map or add entirely new ones. Google will offer you automatic labels like “Home” and “Work,” but you can also create custom Labels.
Labels are a personal organization system, so your entries will only be visible to you. That said, you might not want them to appear on your screen in some situations, especially if they are private.
How to Turn Off Labels in Google Maps on a PC
Both your personal Labels and other pins can be distracting when you just need a clear shot of the map at hand. Unfortunately, Google doesn’t make it easy to hide what you want. To get rid of your personal Labels, you’ll need to turn off all labels. You can also use a workaround or delete your labels entirely if turning all labels off doesn’t suit you.
Turn Off All Labels in Layers
If you need a completely label-free view of an area, you can easily toggle this option in the Map Details settings. Unfortunately, this option is only available in the desktop version of Google Maps. In addition, it will also remove street names besides pins and private labels, but it can still be useful sometimes.
- Open Google Maps in your browser. You can also access it from your Google Chrome main page by clicking the nine-dot menu next to your icon.
- Find the “Layers” menu in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Hover your cursor over the box and wait until more options appear.
- Click “More” to open the Map Details menu.
- Under “Map Type,” you’ll see a checked box next to “Labels.” Uncheck it to remove all labels.
Note: The “Labels” checkbox will be grayed out, but you can still check and uncheck it.
Access Google Maps in Incognito Mode
Turning off all labels makes maps difficult to use. You might need a clear shot of Google Maps with street names and pins but without your private Labels. To open Google Maps with your Labels hidden, try incognito mode.
- Launch your browser and open a private/incognito window.
- Go to Google Maps.
Without being logged into your account, nothing you have previously saved will appear on the map, but you’ll still be able to use other functions normally.
Use Google’s Map Style
If you need more control over what appears on your map, you can also create your own map using Google’s Map Style app.
- Open Google’s Map Style app in your browser.
- Navigate to the area of your choice.
- Use the settings in the sidebar to adjust the density of the labels:
- Lower the landmark density to remove pins but keep street names.
- Decrease the label density to hide street names, too.
- Click “More options” at the bottom for advanced settings.
- Lower the landmark density to remove pins but keep street names.
- Once you’ve tailored the map to your needs, click “Finish” to export it.
While this app gives you great control over what appears on your map and how, it doesn’t allow you to use all of Google Maps’ functionalities. This option is more suitable when you need a custom screenshot of the map.
If you are annoyed by personal Labels you no longer use, you can simply delete them. This is how it’s done on PC:
- Go to Google Maps in your browser.
- Click the hamburger menu in the search bar.
- Select the “Your places” option. A new sidebar will open.
- Find the “Labeled” tab at the top.
- Click the grey “X” icon next to the Label you want to remove.
Note: You can also edit your saved places in this window by selecting the “Lists” tab. Unlike Labels, you can hide your saved pins by clicking the three vertical dots and selecting “Hide on your map.”
How to Turn Off Labels in Google Maps on an iPhone
As mentioned, no setting allows you to hide your personal Labels in Google Maps. However, you can still achieve a similar result by using incognito mode. Removing the Labels you no longer need will also declutter your map.
Here’s one thing you can do on your iPhone to get a view of Google Maps with no Labels in sight:
- Launch your mobile browser and open an incognito or private window.
- Head to the Google Maps site.
The mobile web version of Google Maps is naturally more limited than the app, so this solution may not always cut it. You’ll need to log out of your Google account and sign into a different one to get a similar result in the app.
Delete Old Labels
Another way to get rid of your Labels is by deleting them. Follow these steps on iOS.
- Open the Google Maps iOS app.
- Tap “Saved” at the bottom.
- Scroll down to find “Labeled” among your lists and tap it.
- ”Press the three vertical dots next to the Label and delete the label you want to remove.
How to Turn Off Labels in Google Maps on an Android
To turn off your Google Maps Labels on your Android device, you’ll either need to use incognito mode or remove your labels entirely.
Use Incognito Mode
You can access Google Maps from an incognito window to see it without your personal Labels.
- Open your mobile browser and then a new incognito window.
- Go to the Google Maps website.
You might find that the mobile browser version doesn’t offer the same seamless experience as the Google Maps app. If you find it inconvenient, you can also log into a different Google account on your Android device to see the map with no previously saved Labels.
Remove Your Labels
You can remove the Labels you no longer use to declutter your map. Here’s how to delete a Label on an Android device.
- Launch the Google Maps Android app.
- Tap the “Saved” tab at the bottom.
- Scroll down and select “Labeled” under “Your Lists.”
- Press the three vertical dots next to the Label and delete the label you want to remove.
Can I hide my Labels on Google Maps?
Unfortunately, hiding your personal Labels on your Google Maps with the press of a button isn’t possible. Nevertheless, you can use incognito mode or sign in with another Google account to see the map without the locations you have marked. You can also hide your Labels by turning off all Google Maps Labels using one of the methods mentioned above.
Are Google Maps Labels public?
The Label feature in Google Maps allows you to add a custom name to any pin. You’ll see the place’s name change on your map when you label it, but don’t worry – labels are only visible to you.
Keep Your Labels Private
Labels are a fantastic Google Maps feature, but Google has yet to offer more options regarding their display. If you want to hide your personal Labels, you’ll need to use one of the methods outlined above. On PC, you can also hide all labels to observe the map with no pins obstructing the view.
Which of these methods do you use to hide unwanted Labels from your map? Or do you have your own technique? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.