How To Turn On an LG TV Without a Remote
There are all sorts of reasons why you may want to turn on your LG TV without a remote. Maybe you’ve lost the remote. Perhaps an unfortunate spill means the remote doesn’t work anymore. Or you may just not have any batteries in the house and you want to use your TV without taking a trip to the store.
Whatever the case may be, the good news is that there are several ways to turn your LG TV on without using the remote.
Method No. 1 – Use The TV Panel Buttons
The simplest method is to use the panel buttons built into your LG TV. Most of the company’s TVs come with a power button that’s located directly below the LG logo at the bottom center of the device. Older models may have their buttons on the bottom right.
Hold the button down and your TV should turn on. You may also find that your TV has buttons for volume, changing channels, accessing the menu, and changing the TV display source.
Method No. 2 – Use LG TV Plus
Turning your TV on manually is an easy solution when you don’t have a remote. The problem is that it forces you to keep getting up and down whenever you want to use your TV. That’s not ideal for channel-hopping, changing the volume, or switching between display sources.
LG provides the LG TV Plus app for Android and Apple devices. This clever app functions as a remote control, in addition to allowing you to stream videos and music to your LG TV.
Using the Android App
Follow these steps to download and use the Android version of the LG TV Plus app.
- Search the LG TV Plus app from the Google Play Store.
- Install and open the app.
- Provide the app with the two permissions it requests.
- Agree to the LG End User License Agreement.
- Select your TV. Note that your TV needs to be turned on for this, so use the physical buttons if you don’t have access to your remote.
- Enter the code that appears on your TV screen.
- Look for a notification on your Android device that tells you that your device is now connected.
With your Android device connected, your phone now functions as a remote control. The app provides basic remote functions, including the ability to turn your TV on. You can use the app to access any apps installed on your TV, change channels, and share screens.
Using the iOS App
The iOS version of the LG TV Plus app comes with a few differences in the installation steps.
- Search the app from the App Store.
- Install the app and open it on your iOS device.
- Accept LG’s End User License Agreement.
- Choose your TV. Again, the TV needs to be turned on for this so use its physical buttons if you don’t have access to a remote control.
- Enter the PIN code displayed on your TV screen into your iOS device.
- Grant the app permission to access your device’s photos.
- Grant permission for the app to access your music, media, and video library.
- Watch the intro and use the “NEXT” button to advance to the last page.
- Click “DONE” to complete the installation.
The iOS app has the same general functionality as the Android app. You can access a menu, share content on your TV, and control its general settings. The app also lets you control the TV’s 3D functions, assuming your TV has them.
Method No. 3 – The LG ThinQ App
Available for both iOS and Android devices, the ThinQ app is an all-in-one solution for controlling your home’s LG appliances. The app creates an LG ecosystem through which you can control every LG smart device in your home. Follow these steps to download and connect the app to your TV.
- Download and install the LG ThinQ app from Google Play or the App Store.
- Ensure your TV and mobile device are both connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- Open LG ThinQ.
- Press the “+” button and read the information on your device’s screen.
- Tap “Select a Product.”
- Select “Home appliances” and choose “TV” in the drop-down menu.
- Wait for the app to find nearby TVs and select yours from the list presented.
- Enter the verification code that appears on your TV into the app.
- Tap “Done.”
- Select “Skip” when the app asks if you’d like to link to your email ID.
The app’s remote control interface should now appear on your mobile device. Save your settings and tap the power button to turn your TV on or off.
You Don’t Need a Remote
Why waste time searching for or money replacing a lost or damaged LG TV remote? The manufacturer offers several ways for you to turn your TV on and off, including a pair of mobile apps and the physical buttons built into your TV. With these solutions, you’ll never need another LG TV remote.
Now, we want to find out what you think. Are you going to replace your LG TV remote with one of the mobile apps? How useful is it to have a virtual remote that you carry in your pocket at all times? Let us know in the comments section below.