How To Use Your Own Router With Verizon Fios
If you have your own router, the idea of ditching the rented Verizon router must have crossed your mind. Using your router is a good idea for many reasons. For instance, you have room for better network performance, better control over your network, and most importantly, you can skip the pesky monthly rental fees for your router.
But can you use your router with Verizon Fios? The answer is most likely “yes.” So keep reading to find out the details.
Can You Use Your Router With Verizon Fios?
Yes, you can use your router with Verizon Fios service. You just have to ensure that the router you want to switch to uses an Ethernet connection, not a coaxial one.
Another factor to consider is the nature of your Verizon Fios subscription package. If your subscription has only internet, then switching to your router will be easy. However, if you have both internet and TV, you’ll have to purchase a MoCA Adapter to access internet-based TV services such as, On Demand, DVR, and the Guide. MoCA adapters cost between $20 and $80, and you can find them on Amazon or nearby retail stores. However, we recommend you buy your adapter from brands like TRENDnet and Actiontec because their products are good quality.
How to Use Your Router With Verizon Fios
To use your router with Verizon Fios, follow these steps:
Step 1: Study Your Network
First, you must identify how your router is connected to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT). If the two are connected via an Ethernet cable, and there’s a light beside the Ethernet port, you should be good to go. However, if your router is connected to the ONT via a coaxial cable, follow the steps below:
- Look for an Ethernet cable and find where the ONT box is located. The ONT is found in the silver or white box you received from Verizon during the installation. It has the company’s logo and is usually located in places that don’t get foot traffic, like the basement or near your meter box.
- Once you’ve found the ONT, plug one end of your Ethernet cable to the internet/WAN port on your Verizon router and the other to the Ethernet port on the ONT. The Ethernet port is located at the ONT box’s bottom beside the green LED lights. You’ll have to unscrew the box to get to the port.
- Call Verizon customer service and ask them to activate your Ethernet connection. Any agent should be able to activate your Ethernet connection at no extra cost. Until then, keep using the coaxial cable connection.
Step 2: Disconnect the Verizon Fios Router From the Internet
Once your Ethernet connection has been activated, disconnect the coaxial cable that runs to your ONT from the Verizon router.
Once you’re done, follow these steps to disconnect the Verizon Fios router from the internet.
- Open your browser and type in “http://192.168.1.1.”
- Login using your credentials. Your credentials are written on the sticker attached to your Verizon router or the box that came with it.
- On the admin dashboard, go to “My Network” and select “Network Connections.”
- From the menu, choose “Broadband Connection (Ethernet/ Coax).”
- Open “Settings.”
- Scroll down to the “HDCP Lease” section and hit “Release.”
- Click the “Apply” button to disconnect your router from the internet.
Once you’ve completed the above steps, disconnect the Ethernet cable and the power cable from the Verizon router immediately to prevent it from forming a new lease connection.
Alternatively, you can switch off your router, unplug all the cables from it and wait for 24 hours. This should automatically disconnect your router from the internet because a lease connection usually expires after 24 hours of no use.
Step 3: Connect Your New Router to the ONT
Now that you’ve disconnected the Verizon router from the internet and your ONT, it’s time to connect your new router. Here are the steps to follow:
- Connect the internet cable that runs from the ONT to your new router via the WAN/Internet port at the back.
- Turn on the router.
- The ONT should automatically assign your router a new IP address from Verizon Fios, enabling it to connect to the internet and form a new lease connection.
Step 4: Connect Your MoCA Adapter if You Have a TV Subscription
Up until now, your internet should be working perfectly. However, you’ll notice that TV service is not available because they use MoCA technology to connect to the router. And your MoCA connection is obviously absent because you’re no longer using the Verizon Fios router. So follow these steps to get your TV services back online.
- Plug the coaxial cable that once connected to the Verizon router into the coaxial port on your MoCA adapter.
- Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into the MoCA adapter and the other into one of the LAN ports on your router.
- Disconnect your TV’s box for a few minutes and plug it back again for the connection to work properly.
Unfortunately, there’s no way of remotely programming your DVR if you’re using your own router.
Can I Use My Own Modem With Verizon Fios?
Unfortunately, you can’t use your cable modem with Verizon Fios. The ONT acts as a modem, so you don’t need another. Even if you want to use your own modem, the ONT doesn’t have any port that you can plug your modem into.
Will Verizon Fios still offer me support if I switch to my router?
Unfortunately, Verizon Fios doesn’t offer any technical support for third-party routers. You’ll have to resolve any problems on your own or call a network consultant to help you out. You can also post the problem on Verizon support forums, and other users may be able to help you resolve it.
Alternatively, you’ll have to go back to the previous setup to get any help from the Verizon Fios team.
Will my phone service be affected if I switch to my router?
No, your phone service won’t be affected if you switch to your router. The new setup should only disrupt DVR programming.
Which routers can I use with Verizon Fios?
Any router with an Ethernet cable should work perfectly. Just remember, no modems.
Save a Few Bucks and Enjoy Full Control Over Your Network
Using your router instead of a rental one is an excellent way to save money and ultimately have better control over your home or office network. Fortunately, doing so is super easy, especially if your ONT uses an Ethernet connection. However, if it uses a coaxial connection, you’ll have to switch to an Ethernet connection and ask Verizon customer service to activate the data connection.
Things get even easier if you have Verizon Fios internet only because you won’t incur any expenses when switching to a personal router. Those with TV service will have to buy a MoCA adapter, which is still financially sensible because it’s a one-time payment. It’s much better than the recurring $18 rental fee for the Verizon Fios router.
Have you tried using your own router with Verizon Fios? Please share your experience with us in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.