How to Add Music to Instagram to an Instagram Story or Post
One of Instagram’s most popular features is the option to add music to Instagram stories. Instagram offers a lengthy selection of tunes from its music library, as well as the ability to import songs from other music streaming services, like Spotify, SoundCloud, and Shazam.
In this guide, we will show you different ways you can add music to your Instagram. We will also address some common questions and misconceptions regarding Instagram music.
How to Add Music to Instagram?
Ever since Instagram introduced the option to add music to your stories – now even reels – people have been using this feature. In fact, Instagram adds new tunes to their music library every day.
However, some users struggle with uploading music to their Instagram stories, while others don’t have access to certain songs, or the entire music library. In this article, we will go through various methods of adding music to Instagram and explain why it might not be working for you.
How to Add Music to an Instagram Post?
To begin with, it’s important to know that Instagram doesn’t actually allow you to add music directly to your Instagram posts. You can only add music to your Instagram stories and reels.
Even if you add music to a video you made on your story and download it, the video will be downloaded without the song.
If you want to attach a song to a video and upload it on Instagram as a post, you would have to edit your video beforehand. There are loads of video editing apps and programs available that allow you to add music to your videos. Once you’re done, you can upload the video to your Instagram feed.
However, you can’t attach a song to a picture and then post it on Instagram – it only works with videos.
How to Add Music to an Instagram Story?
First, we’ll go through the process of adding music directly from Instagram. It doesn’t matter if you have an iPhone or an Android, as long as your Instagram is updated, the process of adding music to Instagram is the same. This is how it’s done:
- Open Instagram and go to your story. You can do that by swiping the screen to the right or tapping on your profile picture in the upper-left corner of your screen.
- Proceed to take a story, whether it’s a photo or a video.
- Tap the sticker icon at the top of your screen.
- Go to the “Music” sticker.
- Find the song that you want to add and tap on it.
Note: Instagram will show you recommended songs, as well as different categories you can choose from (family, pop, bright, moods, etc.).
- Move the slider bar to decide which part of the song will be played (it can only play for 15 seconds).
- Tap the thumbnail to change the album icon or to replace it with lyrics.
- Tap “Done.”
- Move the icon/lyrics anywhere across the screen.
- Tap “Your Story” in the bottom left corner to post it on your Instagram.
When your followers open your story, the song you chose will play automatically. If they want to see which song is playing, they can tap on the title under your name, and the song will pop up in another tab.
You can also add music from other music streaming platforms. In this guide, we’ll show you how to do it with Spotify. Once again, this method is identical for both iPhone and Android devices. This is how it’s done:
- Open your Spotify app.
- Play the song you want to add to Instagram.
- Go back to your playlist.
- Tap the three dots on the right side of the song title.
- Scroll down and tap “Share.”
- Tap “Instagram Stories.”
The song will immediately be opened in your story, where you can make any additional adjustments. Once you’re done, post it to your story. If your followers have Spotify accounts, they will be able to open the song in Spotify.
How to Add Music to an Instagram Post the ‘Old Way’?
Adding songs to your Instagram story the ‘old way’ refers to how people used to add tunes before the music feature was introduced. This is how it’s done:
- Start playing the song you want to post. It can be any song in your phone’s library or from a music streaming app.
- Go to Instagram and open your story, while the song is still playing in the background.
- Start filming your story by pressing the record button.
- Make any necessary adjustments to the story.
- Post it by tapping “Your Story” in the bottom left corner.
When you play your story, you’ll be able to hear the song in the background. What’s great about this method is the fact that you don’t have the 15-second time limit. You can record as many stories as you want to.
Where to Find Music for Instagram Videos?
Adding music to your Instagram videos is done the same way you would add a song to your photos. You can either find music in the Instagram music library, or you can upload it from external sources. However, when you add music to Instagram videos, you have more options than with photos.
For example, the time limit for a song on a photo is only 15 seconds, but when you attach a song to a video, it will be as long as the video. You can also pin the song icon (or lyrics) to a certain person or object in your Instagram video.
You can even choose a song before you capture a video by swiping the “Music” option below the record button. You can select exactly which part of the song you want to play and then just start recording. However, this is only possible on iPhones at this point.
How to Open Spotify From Instagram?
Once you share a particular song from Spotify, you have the option of opening it from your Instagram. This option is also available for your followers, who might be interested in the song you just posted.
To open Spotify from Instagram, you simply need to:
- Open your story.
- Tap on the “Play on Spotify” option below your name.
- Tap “Open Spotify”.
The song will be immediately opened on your Spotify. Keep in mind that you need to be logged in for this to work.
Note: Instagram users without a Spotify account won’t be able to do this.
What Kind of Music Is There to Choose From?
There are millions of songs to choose from in the Instagram music library. When you tap on the Music sticker, you can search for a particular song, or you can find one in the “For You” section. You can also go to the “Browse” section where you have different categories:
• Genres – Rap, Hip Hop, R&B and Soul, Pop, Latin, etc.
• Moods – Bright, Dreamy, Groovy, Peaceful, etc.
• Themes – Arabic party, Love, Family, Movie soundtracks, Morning, etc.
If you can’t find your song in the Instagram music library, you can import it from external sources (such as Spotify, SoundCloud, Shazam, etc.).
You can find virtually any type of music for your Instagram stories.
How Do You Add Music to Instagram Stories?
If you’re wondering how to add music to Instagram stories, you can find the instructions in the previous segment. However, users sometimes encounter issues with Instagram music.
For instance, certain songs might be unavailable, or your music feature might not be working.
Here are some factors you need to keep in mind:
• Do you have the newest version of Instagram? Go to your App Store/Google Play and update Instagram if you haven’t.
• Do you have a Business account? Some songs are restricted for Business accounts due to limitation regulations. If that’s the case, you can just switch to a regular account.
• You may be living in a country where Instagram music isn’t available yet. Unfortunately, there’s nothing you can do about it. However, there is a chance that Instagram music will become available in your region in the future.
• The song you are looking for might not be available in the music library due to legal reasons.
• You could be trying to post branded content.
How Do You Play Music on Instagram?
When you add music to an Instagram story, it will play automatically for anyone, with the exception if you add a song from another music app. In that case, you will only be able to see the cover of the song or the song lyrics.
How Do I Post Songs on Instagram?
If you want to post an entire song, you can do it by attaching it to a video file on your story. This way you won’t have any time restrictions. If you post a photo with a song, it will only last for 15 seconds. If you want to post a song on your feed, you can only do this by posting the music video, which you will have to download to your device.
Add Your Favorite Tunes to Your Instagram Story
Now you know how to add music to your photos and videos on your Instagram stories. When you take into account the different music apps you can use to add your favorite tunes, the sky is the limit!
Have you ever added a song to your Instagram? Did you use any of the methods outlined in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.