How to Add Someone to a Skype Call
Chances are, like most users, you’ve been using Skype for one-on-one chats or video calls. But what happens when you want to add another person to a regular call? If you’ve been looking for an answer to this riddle, we’ve got some good news for you. Adding a new person to a Skype call is a breeze, and everyone can do it.
In this step-by-step guide, we’ll give you detailed instructions on how to add someone to a Skype Call across devices. You’ll walk away today not having to worry about rescheduling another meeting due to “technical issues.”
Add Someone to a Skype Call on PC
Adding a third person (or more) to a Skype call on PC is a relatively straightforward process. Follow the steps below to get the most out of Skype’s free feature:
1. Start a Skype Conversation
- Launch Skype on your PC. If the app doesn’t sign you in automatically, insert your email, phone number, or your Skype name followed by your password.
- Once you get into the app, click on the “Contacts” tab. You will find it at the top of the left-hand sidebar. You’ll see a list of all your Skype contacts. You can also select the “Chat” tab next to “Contacts” and find your recent connection there.
- Click on the contact you want to start a call with.
- To start a call with that person, click on the phone icon (audio call) or the camera (video call) in the top right-hand corner of the conversation window.
- (If needed) Click “Call Skype” from the drop menu. This option will show if your contact is also using Skype with their phone number.
2. Add a Person to the Call
Once the first person has accepted your call, you can add a new one to the same conversation. Here’s what you should do:
- Press the plus sign at the top right corner of the chat window.
- Select the “Add people” or “Add people to this call” option from the pop-up window. You’ll now see your Skype contact list.
- Go through the contact list and select the one(s) you wish to add. If you want to add more people, simply select them from the list. You can deselect a contact by unchecking the box next to their name.
- Click on the “Add” or “Add to call” button from the bottom of the window.
Your contact(s) will now receive the invitation to join the call. They’ll be added once they accept the invite.
Tip: If you want to start a call with more than one person in a new conversation, you can create a new group by clicking on “New Chat” on the left-hand sidebar and selecting “New Group Chat.”
Add Someone to a Skype Call on Mac
Adding a third person to an ongoing Skype call on Mac is a breeze. First, you’ll have to start a regular conversation with one of your contacts and then add another contact. Here are the detailed instructions on how to do so:
1. Start a Skype Conversation
- Open the Skype app on your Mac.
- Log in by entering your email address, phone, or Skype name and your password.
- Head over to the left-hand sidebar and click on the “Contacts” tab to see a list of your Skype contacts.
- Click on the name of the person you want to start a conversation with.
- Start a video call by clicking on the camera icon or an audio call by selecting the phone icon.
- If there’s a drop-down menu asking you to choose how you want to make a call, select “Call Skype.”
- Wait for the person to accept your call.
2. Add a Person to the Call
Once you’re in the call with the first person, you can add a new contact to that same chat.
- Click on the plus sign at the top right corner of the window.
- Click on “Add people” or “Add people to this call.” This will open your Skype contact list.
- Select one contact (or more) you want to add to the conversation. You can select and deselect contacts by unchecking the box next to their name.
- Press the “Add people” or “Add to call” button showing at the bottom of that window.
The person you invited will now get a call invitation. Once they accept it, Skype will add them to your conversation.
Tip: If you want to start a new conversation including at least two people, you can create a new group by clicking on “New Chat” on the left-hand sidebar and selecting “New Group Chat.”
Add Someone to a Skype Call on Android
Adding a third person to your Skype call on an Android device will only take a few seconds:
- Launch Skype on your Android device.
- Log in if the app doesn’t do so automatically. Enter your email, phone number, or Skype name and your password.
- You’ll see a list of the contacts you were in touch with recently. Scroll through the list and tap on the name of the person you want to start a conversation with.
- Tap on the video icon to start a video call or on the phone icon for an audio call.
- Wait for the person to accept the call.
- Click on the three horizontal dots in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.
- Tap on the “Add People” button.
- Select a contact from the list you wish to add to the call. If not on the list, search for the contact by tapping the “People, groups & messages” line at the top of the window.
- Press “Add” to finish.
- The third contact will now receive a notification and join the conversation once they accept the invitation.
Tip: You can start a group call in a new conversation by tapping on the pencil icon in the bottom right-hand of the “Chat” window and selecting “New Group Chat.”
Add Someone to a Skype Call on iOS
Follow the steps below to add another person to a Skype call on iOS devices:
- Launch the Skype app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Log into your Skype account if the app doesn’t do so automatically. Enter your Skype name, email, or phone and your password.
- You’ll see a list of recent Skype chats. Tap on the one you want to make a call with. If you don’t see your contact’s name on the list, look for them under “Contacts” or tap the pencil icon to start a new conversation.
- Once inside the chat, tap on the phone icon to start an audio call or the video camera icon for a video call.
- When the person accepts the call, tap on the three dots at the bottom of the chat window.
- Tap on the “Add People” option and select a contact you wish to add from your contact list.
The newly added contact will receive a call notification and be added to the chat once they accept the invite.
Tip: You might find it convenient to start a new group chat with two people and schedule a call there. To do so, tap on the plus icon at the top of the “Chats” window and select “New Group Chat.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some more Skype Group Call questions you might find helpful.
How Many People Can I Have in a Group Call?
Recently, due to the increased demand for video conferencing platforms, Skype raised the maximum number of group call participants from 50 to 100. That means you can invite up to 99 people in a group call. This feature is free for everyone across all devices – computers, tablets, and mobile phones.
Can I Add People to My Skype Call Anytime?
Yes, you can add people (up to 99 of them) to a Skype call anytime and on any device while in the call. Also, the invitation link you send out to your contacts doesn’t expire, and they can join the call anytime as well.
How Do I Create a Conference Call?
Want to schedule a business meeting with Skype? You can do so by starting a conference call on Skype for Business. However, before doing so, you should make sure all contacts have their status set to “Available.” Once everything looks good, follow these steps:
1. Hold the ‘’Ctrl’’ key and select the contacts from the Skype for Business Contact list you want to add to the meeting.
2. Right-click on your contact selection and select “Start a Conference Call.”
3. Choose “Skype Call.”
If you need to invite more people to the call, just drag and drop their names from the Contact list into the meeting, or follow the steps below:
1. Head over to the “Participants” pane in the meeting window.
2. Select “Invite More People.”
3. Click on the names you want to add to the meeting.
4. Press “OK.”
5. The app will now call that contact and add them to the conference call.
Start Skype Group Calls With Ease
Group calls have become an essential part of today’s always-on-the-go lifestyle. Whether you want to catch up with old friends, share big family news, or run business meetings, Skype has got you covered. Thanks to this guide, you won’t have to worry about organizing group calls anymore. You’ve learned how to add someone to a Skype call across devices, and you can also start a conference Skype for Business call.
Did you have any trouble adding a third person to a Skype call? Do you prefer video or audio group calls? Share your experiences in the comments section below.