How To Add a Table of Contents to Microsoft Word
Using a table of contents (TOC) can make some documents look more professional. It also makes it easier to scan the information for what the reader needs, so you might want to consider learning how to add your own. Content such as blogs and reviews may not require a TOC, but others like whitepapers, e-books, and how-to manuals or documents can surely benefit from them.
The process is rather simple, though it may differ slightly depending on what edition of Word you’re using. This guide is compatible with the following Microsoft Word versions:
- Word 2019
- Word 2016
- Word 2013
- Word 2010
- Word 2007
- Microsoft Office 365
- Word for the web
Adding Table of Contents in Microsoft Word for Windows
Headings are required to create a Table of Contents in Word. You can choose what headings your TOC will show, such as down to H3s or even as far as H7s. Here’s how to add Table of Contents to Word 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, Word for Web, and Office 365 in Windows.
- Place your cursor in the desired location for your new TOC.
- You may need to create a page break or hit return to move the first page down to the next sequential page.
- You should have the following new page to place your Table of Contents.
- Click the References tab, then select Table of Contents.
- You should see your new Table of Contents on the blank page, as shown below. To see the whole page(with whitespace included), place the cursor in between the page break and double-click the left mouse button.
The above example shows Heading 1, Heading 2’s, and Heading 3’s. To include Heading 4’s, there are a couple more steps.
- Click the References tab and select Table of Contents, except this time, you will select the Custom Table of Contents to change options.
- Under the General section, click the up arrow next to Show levels: to add Heading 4 to the Table of contents. You can also make other TOC changes if desired.
- Click Yes when prompted to replace the current TOC.
- The TOC will change according to your adjustments, as shown below.
If you make any new changes to headings, you can update the Table of Contents by clicking on the page, and then selecting “Update Table.”