How To Delete a Table in Google Docs
Organizing information into a table inside your Google Doc helps you present the information in an easy-to-understand format. However, you may find that the table becomes unnecessary. Perhaps you ended up writing sections that cover each element of the table, making the table superfluous. Or you used the table to organize your thoughts and need to get rid of it before publishing the final Google Doc.
Whatever the case may be, this article walks you through how to delete a Google Docs table on various devices.
How to Delete a Table in Google Docs on a Windows PC
Deleting a table is a simple process that you can complete in less than a minute.
- Open your document and locate the table you want to delete.
- Right-click a cell inside the table to reveal a pop-up box.
- Select “Delete Table.”
You can also use this method to delete rows or columns while keeping the rest of the table intact. In these cases, you need to right-click a cell that’s inside the row or column you wish to delete.
How to Delete a Table in Google Docs on a Chromebook
If you’re accessing your Google Doc via a Chromebook, use these steps to delete a table.
- Open your Google Doc.
- Right-click on any cell within the table you want to get rid of.
- Click “Delete Table” from the options provided.
You can also delete rows and columns using this method, as long as you right-click a cell within the row or column you want to remove.
How to Delete a Table in Google Docs on a Mac
Working in Google Docs on a Mac operates the same way as using the platform on a PC because Google Docs is browser-based. You can delete Google Docs tables on a Mac using the following method.
- Open your Google Doc and navigate to the “Format” option at the top-left of the screen.
- Click “Format” and select “Table.”
- Choose “Delete Table.”
You can also delete rows and columns using this method.
How to Delete a Table in Google Docs on an iPhone
Google Docs is available as a standalone app in Apple’s App Store. Assuming you’ve downloaded the app and created a document with a table in it, these steps allow you to quickly delete the table.
- Open the Google Docs app and select the document you wish to edit.
- Tap the table you want to delete.
- Select the gray bar that appears next to the row or column that you tapped.
- Choose “Delete table.”
If you do not see the “Delete table” option after tapping the gray bar, press the right arrow that appears in the menu to find it.
How to Delete a Table in Google Docs on an Android
Google offers a dedicated Google Docs app for Android devices via the Play Store. Assuming you have the app and have used it to create a document with a table inside it, follow these steps to delete the table.
- Open the Google Docs app and navigate to your document.
- Tap any cell inside your chosen table.
- Select the “More” option in the menu that appears. This option is represented by a trio of vertical dots.
- Tap “Delete Table.”
How to Delete a Table in Google Docs on an iPad
You can download a Google Docs app made specifically for Apple devices from the App Store. Once you’ve created a document that contains a table, these steps allow you to delete it.
- Open Google Apps and select the document that contains the table you want to delete.
- Tap the table.
- Select the gray bar that appears next to the column or row you selected.
- Tap the “Delete Table” option. If you don’t see this option, tap the right arrow in the menu that’s opened when you select the gray bar.
You can also delete the row or column you tapped by selecting the appropriate option after following these steps.
How can I delete a table without deleting the text?
Deleting the table’s borders is the best way to remove a Google Docs table without losing the text. Follow these steps to remove a table’s borders.
1. Open the Google Doc that contains the table you want to modify.
2. Right-click your table and select “Table Properties” from the menu.
3. Select the “Table Border Width” drop-down menu.
4. Choose “0 pt.”
5. Click “OK” to save the changes in your document.
You should now see all the contents of your table without any of the borders that previously separated them.
Deleting a table in Google Docs is a relatively straightforward process, regardless of the device or version of Google Docs you use. In all cases, the process takes about a minute.
What are your thoughts when it comes to deleting tables in Google Docs? Have you ever found yourself needing to delete a table and had no idea how to do it? Do you think Google could provide more options for manipulating tables in future versions of Google Docs? Tell us what you think in the comments section below.