How to Block a Number in WhatsApp
WhatsApp is a free instant messaging app used by people worldwide to stay in touch. Users can interact with friends, relatives, and new acquaintances via messaging apps such as WhatsApp, but they can also be exposed to unwanted connections and personal privacy violations.
Fortunately, blocking a contact on a messaging network is a straightforward process. This article will walk you through the necessary steps to block someone on WhatsApp using different devices.
How to Block a Number in WhatsApp on a PC
To open WhatsApp on a PC, you must first install it. The following steps will guide you through the process of installing WhatsApp Web on your PC:
- Open any browser on your PC/Laptop and search for “WhatsApp Web.”
- Launch WhatsApp Messenger and click “Menu,” then click the vertical dot icon to open the QR Code reader on your mobile device.
- Scan the QR Code with your phone on your PC.
From here, you can perform any action on WhatsApp that you can on the mobile app, including blocking a number. Here’s how to do it:
- Open up a chat with the person you want to block. To do that, either click on the existing chat or their contact in the Contacts window.
- From the chat window, click the person’s name or number in the top left corner.
- You will see their contact information. Scroll down
- Click on “Block Contact”
Note that instead of “Contact,” you will see the name under which the number is saved on your phone or just the phone number if it isn’t saved.
You can also use the WhatsApp Desktop Client to access WhatsApp over a PC. Here’s how to block someone on the WhatsApp desktop client:
- Use the left-pane to access the message window of the person you wish to block.
- Click the three-dot icon in the upper right corner and select Contact information.
- Select “Contact Info” and “Block” from the drop-down menu.
- A pop-up message will appear to confirm the action. Click “Yes.”
- WhatsApp’s Windows desktop software displays a confirmation pop-up when blocking a contact.
Alternately, you can use the Settings menu. Here’s How:
- You can access settings by clicking on the three dots icon in the profile row.
- Click on the “Blocked” option on the left-hand side.
- If you’ve already blocked someone, you’ll see their name in this section. Select “Add Blocked Contact.”
- Type in the name of the person you want to block and click on their name. After the confirmation prompt, they will be successfully blocked.
How to Block a Number in WhatsApp on an iPhone
- Launch WhatsApp.
- Tap “Settings” in the lower-right corner of your screen.
- Select “Account” from the Settings menu.
- Tap “Privacy” followed by “Blocked” in the Account menu.
- Select “Add New…” from the Blocked menu and enter the name of the person you want to block.
There is also an alternative strategy. The contact can be blocked in the chat if you’ve already talked to them or if you’ve received a message from an unknown number.
- Tap the contact’s name to open the chat.
- Go to the three horizontal lines and select “Block Contact.”
- In the “Block Contact” section, click “Block.”
If you decide to unblock someone, you can do it by following the steps below:
- Hit “Settings” in the bottom right of the WhatsApp home screen.
- Select “Account” followed by “Privacy.”
- Go to “Blocked.”
- Tap the contact’s name and tap “Unblock Contact” on the contact’s details page.
How to Block a Number in WhatsApp on an Android
- Tap WhatsApp.
- Go to the three dots in the top right-hand corner. Touch “Settings.”
- Select “Account” in the Settings section.
- Tap “Privacy” in the Account menu, then “Blocked contacts.”
- To block a specific contact from your contact list, select their name and tap the “Add” icon.
You can also block someone through a chat if you’ve already communicated with them or received a message from an unknown phone number.
- Open the chat and tap the three vertical dots at the top right corner.
- Tap “More” and then “Block” from there.
If you want to unblock them later, the steps are:
- Go to the three vertical dots in the top right-hand corner. Then select “Settings.”
- Tap the “More choices.”
- Select “Account” in the Settings menu. Select “Privacy,” followed by “Blocked contacts.”
- Tap the blocked contact’s name.
- Select “Unblock [contact name].”
How to Block a Number in a WhatsApp Group
Only the administrator of a WhatsApp group can block someone. To do so, take these steps:
- Navigate to the group chat.
- Select the name of the group by tapping it.
- If you’re not the admin, you can see the admin’s phone number and text or call them to tell them to block someone.
- If you’re currently the group administrator, you can use the same screen to select the contact you wish to block. Select “Block,” which is under “Contact information.”
- Once you’ve selected “Block,” hit “Block” again.
How to Block a Number in WhatsApp Without Opening the Message
- Open WhatsApp.
- In the lower-right corner of your screen, tap “Settings.”
- From the Settings menu, choose “Account.”
- In the Account menu, tap “Privacy” followed by “Blocked.”
- From the Blocked menu, select “Add New…” and enter the name of the person you wish to block.
Does the person know if I block them?
When you block a contact on WhatsApp, you stop receiving their notifications, messages, calls, and status changes. Additionally, your “last seen” timestamp and online status and any updates to your profile will be hidden from blocked contacts.
It’s important to note that WhatsApp does not notify users when they’ve been blocked, so they will be unaware of the action. Nonetheless, there are a few things someone can check to see if they have been blocked.
Here are some signs that can tell someone that you’ve blocked them:
• Your profile picture will not be accessible.
• If you’ve blocked someone on WhatsApp, information like your status, last seen date, and more will be hidden from them.
• Sending a text message or voice message, pictures or videos will not be possible.
• Voice and video calls will not be possible if someone is blocked.
Maintain Your WhatsApp Privacy
Knowing how to block someone on WhatsApp can be very useful. In some cases, an unknown person could be messaging you, someone could send you inappropriate content, or someone you don’t want to talk to could be bothering you. Hence, utilizing the blocking feature can help you to chat only with people you really want to. Moreover, the feature protects sensitive information, like your phone number, activity status, and profile pictures from people you don’t want to share it with.
Have you ever blocked someone on WhatsApp? Do you think that the feature is essential for a messaging app? Why did you decide to block someone? Let us know in the comment section below!
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.