How To Change the iPhone Alarm Volume
The iPhone alarm can wake you up from a night’s slumber or a short nap and can be used as a reminder. When a loud alarm sounds, it can be startling, while one too low can be ineffective. The ringer and alarm volumes can be set separately and adjusted to suit your needs.
In this article, we’ll show you how to change your alarm’s volume and other ways to customize the alarm sound or vibration.
Changing the Alarm Volume on an iPhone
Follow these easy steps to adjust the volume of your alarm to a comfortable level that works for you.
- Tap on “Settings,” then “Sounds & Haptics.”
- Beneath “Ringer and Alerts,” drag the slider right or left to set the volume. As you do this, an alert will sound so you can hear how the volume sounds.
- Alternatively, to change the alarm volume using the volume buttons on your phone, enable the “Change with Buttons” option.
How to Edit an Alarm
If you need to change the time of your alarm, follow these steps.
- Access the “Clock” app, then tap “Alarm.”
- In the top-right corner, choose “Edit.”
- Tap on the alarm, select your change(s), then hit “Save.”
How to Delete an Alarm
If you need to remove an alarm, select “Alarm” from the “Clock” app, then do one of the following.
- Swipe left on the alarm, then tap “Delete.”
- Tap “Edit,” the “Delete” icon, then press “Delete” again.
- Tap “Edit,” select the alarm, then press “Delete Alarm.”
How to Change or Customize the Alarm Sound on an iPhone
When you create a new alarm, you can select which sound to play when the alarm sounds. By default, the alarm tone is set to “Radar,” and the vibration is “Alert.”
If you use multiple alarms, you can set a unique sound for each. An alarm can be set to just vibrate, play a sound only, or both vibrate and have a sound.
Change Your Alarm Sound
Follow these steps to change the alarm sound.
- Access the “Clock” app.
- Select the “Alarm” option.
- At the top right, tap “Edit.”
- Press the alarm you wish to change, and the “Edit Alarm” page will display.
- Press the “Sound” option.
- On the next screen, beneath the “RINGTONES” section, select the alarm tone you prefer. An example will be played for each one.
- If you prefer not to have an alarm sound, choose “None.”
- On the top left, tap “Back” to access the “Edit Alarm” screen once you’re done.
- Press “Save” to save your adjustments.
Set a Personalized Alarm Sound
If you don’t like the alarm tones available, you can download and use your own. Follow these steps to customize your alarm alert sound.
- Access the “Clock” app.
- Select the “Alarm.”
- Tap “Edit.”
- Press the alarm you wish to change. The “Edit Alarm” screen will open.
- Tap on “Sound.”
- Under the “Songs” section on the “Sound” screen, select “Tone Store.” You’ll be taken to iTunes for a large selection of ringtones to purchase. It also includes alert tones of popular characters’ voices.
- If you’ve already purchased tones and not downloaded them to your phone, select “Download All Purchased Tones.” Apple will verify and then download your tones.
- The ringtone(s) will be listed under the “RINGTONES” section.
Change Your Alarm Vibration
Here’s how to personalize how your phone vibrates for each alarm.
- Access the “Clock” app.
- Select the “Alarm” tab.
- Tap “Edit.”.
- Press the alarm you wish to edit.
- On the “Edit Alarm” screen, tap “Sound.”
- At the top of the “Sound” screen, tap “Vibration.” A selection of vibration patterns will display.
- Tap a pattern for a brief sample, then choose the one you prefer.
- If you want to disable the vibrate option, select “None.”
Create a Personalized Vibration
Alternatively, you can have fun composing your own vibration pattern.
- On the “Sound” screen, tap “Vibration.”
- Scroll down to the “CUSTOM” section to choose “Create New Vibration.”
- Long-press, then release to produce your vibration pattern. Your pattern design will be visualized at the bottom of the screen. Your taps will display as dots. Long-press to create a longer vibration will be represented as bars.
- Press “Play” to replay your vibration. Tap “Record” to remove it and record another.
- Tap “Save” to enter the name of your vibration, then press “Save” again to save it. Your custom vibration will display beneath “CUSTOM” in the “Vibration” menu.
Can I use the side volume buttons to control the alarm volume?
By default, the side volume buttons do not control the ringer and the alarm volume. If you prefer to control the alarm volume using the volume buttons, enable the “Change with Buttons” options from the “Ringer and Alerts” settings.
No Need to Be Alarmed
Alarms are great, but to be effective in getting your attention, they must be the correct volume. A loud, unexpected noise can be too alarming. Apple lets you fine-tune your alarm volume while listening to how loud or quiet it will sound. You can make your alarm more interesting by using a ringtone or song from the iTunes store. You can even create your own vibration.
Have you found your alarm volume sweet spot? What sound or vibration did you use? Tell us about it in the comments section below.