How To Change Location or Region in TikTok
TikTok, the video-based social network that allows users to create and broadcast short video clips, has racked up quite an international following.
Users from all over the world share millions of these short videos every day to entertain their friends and followers.
Of course, if you want to get a look at how various other regions use TikTok, you’ll need to change your location. Let’s take a look at how to change your region in TikTok.
Change Location or Region in TikTok
Despite being global, TikTok filters what you see and who sees you by region. That’s fine if your region has lots of users, but if there aren’t a lot of talented creators in your feed, you might want to change your location.
Here are a few methods you can use to change your region in TikTok.
Workaround 1: Use a VPN
One of the more common options for changing your location in TikTok is using a VPN. A Virtual Private Network lets you change the location of your device. We use Express VPN most commonly but there are other options available too.
Using a VPN to change your location can be hit or miss, but it is a great technique that works most of the time. You can sign up for the service using this link. You’ll also need to download the app onto your smartphone. To change the location of TikTok on your smartphone, follow these steps:
Use ExpressVPN on Android
- Download the ExpressVPN app using this link. Then, sign in to the account you created using the link above.
- Tap on ‘Selected Location.’
- Tap on the Country or City of your choice.
- Next, tap the power icon at the top to activate your VPN.
- Open TikTok and view the content of your new location.
Use ExpressVPN on iPhone
- Download the ExpressVPN application on your iPhone by using this link. Open the app and sign in to your ExpressVPN account.
- Tap ‘Allow’ when ExpressVPN asks for permission to Add VPN Configurations.
- Tap on ‘Smart Location.’
- Select your desired location from the list.
- Make sure that ExpressVPN is connected. If it isn’t, tap the power icon. It will turn green when it’s active.
- Now, open TikTok and view content in the region you’ve selected.
That’s all there is to it! You can see that this method is working by going to the TikTok Discover page. One of the key indicators is the language on the page.
Workaround 2: Change Your Language
As stated above, TikTok isn’t likely to recommend any content of a language that isn’t native to your area. Fortunately, you can easily change your language in the app.
- Launch TikTok and select ‘Me’ in the lower right-hand corner.
- Tap on the three dots in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select ‘Content Preferences’ under the Account section.
- Add the native language of the region you’re looking for.
This may not instantly correct your TikTok region conundrum, so you might have to utilize the following methods to get TikTok to show you the content you want to see.
Workaround 3: Follow Different Creators
Based on what we’ve seen, TikTok will recommend content based on who you follow and the types of videos you interact with most. It’s time to head over to the app and start following people in the region you’re interested in.
The ‘Search’ option is not available from the TikTok website but it is easily found in the app version by clicking on the magnifying glass labeled ‘Discover’ on the lower left-hand side of the application. Type the most popular users in the region you’d like to view in the search bar.
Tap the red ‘Follow’ button. Next, tap ‘Followers,’ in the screenshot above you’ll see this creator has 43.3 million followers, tap that. Scroll through the list provided and follow accounts there as well.
Visit the top TikTok creators for a list of people to follow if you aren’t sure who’s the most popular and what region they’re from.
Workaround 4: Swap Your Sim Card
Usually, when someone wants to appear from a different country, we suggest using a VPN. That doesn’t seem to work with TikTok.
Instead, the app seems to use your SIM region code to decide what you see. One method you can try is to buy a SIM from a different region and use it in your phone.
Just buy a SIM card from the region you want to appeal to and use it on your phone when you want to use TikTok. It’s a hassle unless you have a dual SIM phone, but it is achievable if you really want to go it.
TikTok is a great platform for creating and sharing content with people all over the world, but if you want to start seeing more content from specific regions, you’ll have to take a few steps to manipulate your feed.
Do you have any other useful TikTok tips? Share them in the comments below!