How to Change your Number in Telegram
Unlike some other communication platforms, Telegram lets users customize their profiles and keep their messaging history and call logs. If you’re wondering how to modify your account and add a new number, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ll walk you through the process so that you can communicate smoothly with friends and family on any device. Keep reading to learn more.
If you like to communicate though your iPhone, you should have no difficulty switching to a new number on Telegram.
- Open the Telegram app from your home screen and log in using your account details.
- Go to “Settings” by tapping the gear icon in the lower right part of the screen.
- Then, tap the “Edit” option at the top right corner.
- Choose “Change Number” to connect a new phone number to your Telegram account.
- The app will generate “You can change your Telegram number here. Your account and all your cloud data-messages, media, contacts, etc.. will be moved to the new number”. Tap the “Change Number” below and hit the “Continue.”
- Choose the country the phone number is tied to and type the new number in the appropriate field. Double-check all the digits. You won’t receive a verification key unless you’ve typed in the correct number.
- Telegram will now send you a confirmation code. Copy the code and paste it into the appropriate box in Telegram.
- Click on the “Next” button in the top right part of the app to record the changes.
The new number is now linked to your Telegram account and you can continue enjoying the app’s perks.
Changing your number on an Android smartphone is relatively straightforward, Follow these steps to do so:
- Tap the Telegram app on your home screen and type your login credential to access your account.
- Click on the three lines in the top left part of the app.
- Find and select the “Settings” option to go to Telegram’s customization page.
- Navigate to your account display name and press the “Change number” option beneath it.
- Tap “Change Number” again to link a new number to your account.
- The app will prompt you to confirm your decision. Click on the “Change” button to close the pop-up window and move on.
- Choose the country where the phone number has been registered.
- Type the number you wish to connect to Telegram in the appropriate field.
- Make sure that the information is correct. Unless you’ve typed a valid phone number, Telegram won’t send you a verification key. Make sure the information is accurate, or you won’t receive a verification key from the platform.
- Telegram will quickly send you the verification code. Open the message, copy the information, and paste it into the required section.
Once you select the tick mark in the top-right of the screen, Telegram will implement the modifications and connect the account to your new number.
Telegram’s communication services aren’t just limited to mobile devices. Users can also keep in touch with friends and family through their computers. The platform has developed both a web and desktop version which are well-laid out and user-friendly. They’re also convenient since you don’t have to switch between the phone and desktop while you’re at work or tinkering with the PC.
Unfortunately, Telegram still hasn’t upgraded the web version to allow you to change your number. But most users will have no difficulty doing so from their desktop.
- Double-tap the Telegram icon to launch the desktop app.
- Press the three lines in the top-left of the screen.
- Click on the “Settings” option to customize your information.
- Select “Edit Profile.”
- Find your display name and press “Phone Number” beneath it.
- Select the “Change Number” section.
- The platform will display its terms and conditions before allowing you to proceed. Read the information and tap the “OK” button to move on.
- Type the phone number in the appropriate field and hit “Submit.”
- The app will send a verification passcode to the new number, so make sure you’ve typed it correctly.
- Enter the passcode in the required field and select “Submit.”
How to Change Your Number in Telegram on an iPad
Since Telegram is compatible with multiple devices, it’s possible to set up a different number using an iPad. Although the iPad isn’t intended for communication purposes, some users have expanded its functionality by pairing it with their iPhones. Keep in mind that before adjusting your account information, you have to place the SIM card in an iPhone or Android smartphone to receive the verification key.
- Go to your home screen and launch the Telegram app.
- Enter your account information to log in.
- Select the gear icon to go to “Settings.” You should find the “Settings” icon at the lower right end of the app.
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and select the “Change number” option.
- Tap “Change Number” again to link a new number to your account.
- A new window will prompt you to accept Telegram’s terms and conditions before continuing the process. Read the information carefully and tap the “Next” button when you’re ready to move on.
- The platform will send a passcode to the new number. Copy the passcode and paste it into the appropriate field.
- Press the “OK” button in the app’s top-right to implement the changes.
How to Change Your Number in Telegram on a Mac
Telegram has ensured that its services are accessible through different devices. Users can also change their numbers on their MacBook through the Telegram desktop app.
- Double-press the Telegram icon to open the desktop version.
- Choose the “Settings” option to modify your account information.
- Click on “Edit.”
- Press “Change Number.”
- The new window will display “You can change your Telegram number here. Your account and all your cloud data-messages, media, contacts, etc.. will be moved to the new number”. Tap “Next” below and hit “OK” to proceed.
- Choose the country and type the phone number in the required area. Then tap “Send Code.”
- When you receive the verification passcode, type it into the appropriate field and hit “Submit.”
Telegram will update your profile to include the new phone number.
Will I lose my profile information when I change my number in Telegram?
When you tweak your profile and add a different number, Telegram won’t change your account. You’ll still have access to your messaging history, contact lists, images, videos, and channels. Your Telegram username, profile picture, and bio will remain the same. The platform will only move the data tied to the old number to your new one. This means that your contacts will be able to reach you through the updated number.
Do I need to change the number on both the mobile and desktop versions of Telegram?
If you’ve modified the number in the mobile app, the platform will automatically upload the information and sync the web version. Once you change the number on one device, Telegram sends those details to all versions.
Can I use a fake phone number in Telegram?
Telegram requires users to enter a code they receive on their registered number, so it’s impossible to access the app with a fake number.
Change Your Number and Connect With Ease
We rely on communication apps to connect us with the most important people in our lives. For that reason, it’s essential to know how to switch to a different phone number. Fortunately, it’s relatively easy to do so in Telegram, regardless of the device you use to access the platform. Also, adding a new number won’t affect your messages and call log, so you don’t have to worry about losing touch with friends and family.
Have you switched to a different phone number in Telegram before? Which device did you use to update your account details? Let us know in the comments section below.