How to Change Password in League of Legends
If you haven’t played League of Legends in a few months, you might’ve completely forgotten your account credentials during your absence. However, this addicting game never truly lets go of its players, and the account is usually waiting for you exactly where you left off. If you can’t remember the password, follow our guide to getting back into the game quickly.
Riot Games has changed how they handle League of Legends accounts with the advent of their additional titles. Each player now has a unique Riot Games account for specific game regions they can share between games, like LoL, Legends of Runeterra, Teamfight Tactics (mobile), Wild Rift, and Valorant.
Changing Your League of Legends Password
If you want some additional security and have decided to change up your passwords, it might be a good idea to change your Riot Games password along the way. Here’s how you can change your password if you still remember the current one:
- Head over to account.riotgames.com using your browser.
- Select “Sign in.”
- Log into your account with your current credentials (username + password).
- Under “Account Management,” select “RIOT Account Sign-in.” You might need to select “Settings” from the dropdown menu in the top right corner to access it.
- You’ll see a box on the menu to the right with your current username partially censored and three password boxes.
- Type the current password in the first box.
- Type the new password in the second and third boxes.
- Click on “Confirm Changes” below the boxes.
Once you’ve changed the password, you’ll be logged out of all games that have had the previous password memorized and will need to log in again.
Riot Games recommends changing passwords periodically to prevent unauthorized access to your account.
How To Reset Your League of Legends Password
Putting all games under a single account makes it easy to switch between games at a moment’s notice and keep a closer tab on your progress. However, if you forget a password to the account, you can get locked out of all Riot games.
Luckily, Riot has made changing and resetting the password pretty straightforward:
- Use a browser to go to account.riotgames.com.
- Click on “Sign in.”
- If you don’t know your password, click on “Can’t Sign in.”
- Choose the option “Forgot Password.”
- Select the region you’re playing on, type in the username for that region, and click on the large arrow.
- Log into the email used for that Riot account.
- You should be able to find an email from Riot Games with a password reset link.
- Click the link and follow the instructions. Typically, you should be able to input the new password and confirm the change.
After a password reset, you can change the new password freely by logging in to account.riotgames.com.
League of Legends Password Guidelines:
- You can’t reuse the same password for the account.
- The password must contain at least one letter and one symbol.
- The password has to be between eight and 128 characters.
- The textbox has a meter for password strength. The new password must pass “Okay.”
- We recommend against using the same password for your gaming and other accounts.
Can I change my league of legends username?
The move from using the same user account for all game regions to separate accounts for each region has caused some confusion to old players and Riot has moved accounts around to accommodate that change. The summoner name you’ve used has likely stayed the same, but the username had to be changed. If you hadn’t changed your name in the first wave of transfers from the old to the new system, you’ll need to update your username to start playing. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Open your browser and go to update-account.riotgames.com.
2. Click on the arrow to get started with the process.
3. Log in with your current account. Choose the region you’re playing in wisely. The first region chosen will automatically link the username to that region.
4. Click on “Change Username.”
5. Type the new username, or confirm the old one.
6. Click on the large arrow at the bottom to confirm the choice.
7. You can now access account.riotgames.com to make further account changes if needed.
Can I change my Riot ID?
Your Riot Games username is only used for logging you into the account. The Riot ID, on the other hand, is what other players will see when they meet you in any of Riot’s other titles. If you want to change your Riot ID, you’ll need to follow these steps:
1. Go to account.riotgames.com and log into your Riot Games account.
2. Under “Riot ID” on the right side, you’ll see two text boxes.
3. Change your Riot ID and tagline as you wish. The tagline can be only five characters long.
You can change your Riot ID every 30 days.
Time to Change in League of Legends
Now you know how to change your password and more in League of Legends. This can be a time-saver if you’ve forgotten the password and just want to scratch that gaming itches you’ve been putting off for months. If you want to prevent password theft, change the password regularly and keep it unique from other accounts.
Have you had any problems with your League of Legends password? Let us know in the comment section below.