How To Change a Password in TeamViewer
If you’re a TeamViewer user, you understand the need for an extra layer of security when accessing the platform. TeamViewer allows you to view devices remotely, which makes them vulnerable to hackers. Nobody wants to run the risk of their sensitive information falling into the wrong hands. That’s one of the reasons why it is important to change your password as often as possible. This tutorial walks you through the various methods you can use to do that, providing you with peace of mind.
Change the Password Remotely
There are two methods you can use to change your TeamViewer password. You can either use the client app or the Management Console. Let’s start with the client app.
- Open the TeamViewer PC client app.
- Navigate to the menu and press “Extras” then “Options.”
- Go to the panel on the left-hand side and tap “Computers and Contacts.”
- Input your log-in credential in the section located on the right side of the screen.
- Hover the mouse over the password field and input your new password.
- Re-type your password and the old one in the dialogue box that pops up.
- Hit “OK” to apply the changes.
You’ve changed your TeamViewer password using the client app. Here’s how to do that on a Mac:
- Navigate to the TeamViewer icon in the top right corner of your Mac and click on it while pressing the control key.
- Press “Preferences” then “Account” on the left side of the screen.
- Input the new password in the “Password” and “Confirm Password” boxes.
Your TeamViewer password has now been changed using your Mac.
Now let’s look at how to change the TeamViewer password using the management console.
- Log in to your TeamViewer account from your web browser.
- Navigate to your profile name located on the right-hand side of the page.
- Tap on the avatar to reveal the dropdown menu.
- Press “Edit Profile” and head to the “Security” tab.
- Hit “Change Password” and input your current password.
- Enter and re-enter your new password, then click “Change Password.”
You’ve now used the management console to change the password on TeamViewer.
Changing a Password From the Command Line
You can change the password in TeamViewer using a command line. However, this won’t work in Windows. Here’s how to do that in Linux:
- Launch TeamViewer and enter Command Prompt.
- Input the following command line:
sudo teamviewer passwd [password]
- Once you’re in the password section, enter your new password.
For Windows, you can export a password using the registry as follows:
- Open TeamViewer and tap the Settings icon.
- Click “Advanced” then find “TeamViewer Options.”
- Scroll to “Export Options to a *.reg file” and press “Export.”
- Name your reg file password in the allotted slot.
- Choose the file options that you would like to export.
- Uncheck all the boxes except the “Export Personal Password.”
- Input and confirm your new password.
Now to import it:
- Import the password by tapping “Extras,” “Options,” “Advanced,” then “TeamViewer Options.”
- Navigate to the “Import options from *.reg file,” then hit “Import.”
- Pick the appropriate *.reg file and click to open it.
Your new password will now be available on TeamViewer.
Changing a Password After Session
TeamViewer allows you to generate a random password for the next session. You can set this up after your session as follows.
- Tap the Settings icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Go to “Advanced” then “Advanced settings for connections to this computer.”
- Navigate to “Random password after each session,” then select “Generate new” from the dropdown menu.
You have now changed the TeamViewer password after your session.
TeamViewer Change Password Automatically
It’s possible to set up the password used for TeamViewer as a randomly generated sequence that changes every time the service is started. Even if you have an unattended access set up, the password will change every time you reboot the platform. Check out how to change it automatically.
- Open TeamViewer and click on “Remote Control.”
- Locate the “Password” section and hover your mouse over the field.
- Tap the circle-arrow that appears to auto-generate a new password.
You have now automatically changed the password on TeamViewer.
Protect Your Data
TeamViewer is a great platform that allows you to access computers remotely. Because this program grants access to all the information available on the device, it would be a good idea to change the password frequently. Doing so will not only add a layer of protection to the data but will deter hackers from following your breadcrumbs. This guide shows you how to do that and secure your device.
Have you ever changed your password on TeamViewer? Did you use any of the methods outlined in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.