How to Change Your Roku WiFi Without Remote
Losing a Roku remote isn’t the end of the world. If it’s connected to the same network as your smartphone, you can easily use the Roku mobile app and turn your phone into a Roku remote.
However, what happens when you move house or you change your network provider and don’t have a Roku remote? You won’t be able to connect to a new network, so you can’t link it to your phone.
Still, there’s a workaround for this, too, if it isn’t a simple or quick process. But if you’re left without any choice, keep reading this article.
Step One: Prepare Everything That You Need
Before you start the process, you should first prepare everything. You’re going to need two different mobile phones – one will act as a hotspot for your Roku device, while you’ll turn the other one into a Roku remote.
Of course, it’s vital to know your Roku’s wireless network name (aka SSID) and password. Furthermore, you’ll need to install the Roku mobile app (Android or iOS) on both smartphones so you can set everything up.
In the end, make sure that your wireless service plan includes hotspot access before you proceed. If you need to use your mobile data instead, there’s a chance you’ll be charged a higher bill at the end of the month.
Step Two: Connect Roku to Wi-Fi Using Mobile Hotspot
The first thing that you need to do is make a hotspot on one of your phones. If you know your Roku’s SSID, the process shouldn’t be difficult:
- Go to the Settings app on your smartphone.
- Locate the Mobile Hotspot menu in the Wi-Fi settings. The actual location depends on the operating system, but it can also differ depending on the version.
- Enable mobile hotspot.
- Enter the SSID of your Roku under the Wi-Fi name (SSID) section.
- Enter the password for that connection.
- Select Save.
Check if you’ve done everything correctly, and then activate your mobile hotspot.
Step Three: Turning Your Mobile Phone Into a Remote Control
If your Roku mobile app and your Roku device are on the same network, you can use the remote feature to navigate the player. Use your mobile phone to connect to the wireless hotspot that you’ve created (in the previous section), and do the following:
- Open the Roku app on the other phone.
- Now, select the Remote button at the bottom of the screen.
- Wait for the remote screen to appear.
The remote displayed on the app should be a carbon copy of your physical Roku remote control. Try and tap the arrow keys to see whether your Roku player will register the movements.
Step Four: Adjust Wi-Fi Settings Using Another Phone
If you’re able to navigate the Roku player, changing the wireless settings on your Roku shouldn’t be a problem. If you’ve made a hotspot with the same DDSN and password with one mobile device and used another smartphone to connect to it, everything else is easy.
- Use your Roku mobile app to turn your other (non-hotspot) phone into a remote.
- Tap the Home screen on the app remote.
- Highlight the Settings menu and press OK on the app remote
- Now, proceed to the Network menu.
- Connect your Roku to the desired wireless network.
- Then, disable the mobile hotspot on your phone.
- Connect one of the phones to the same Wi-Fi that you’ve connected your Roku to.
- Launch the Roku app on your phone.
- Now, use your phone as would the remote.
If everything goes well, your Roku player should register the app remote as a regular Roku remote. As long as they remain connected to the same Wi-Fi network, your phone can act as a remote.
Simpler Way – Get a Remote
Even a simple process, such as changing wireless settings on your Roku, can turn into quite a frustrating experience if you don’t have a remote.
Every time you want to change the connection, you’ll need to reconnect both your Roku and your smartphone so that you can navigate it without a proper remote. The best way to avoid this is to contact your nearest tech store or Roku customer support and try to get a replacement remote.
Do you use your Roku mobile app as a remote control? Do you think it renders the Roku remote useless? Share your opinion in the comments section at the bottom of the page.