How to Sync a Roku Remote to a TV
Roku turns your ordinary TV into a smart one. It comes with a remote that is designed to work straight out of the box. But, in some cases, that doesn’t happen, and you’re required to take action to connect it properly. Fortunately, the process doesn’t take a lot of time and requires only a few steps.
If you’re interested in learning how to sync your Roku remote to your TV, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll discuss what you need to do to pair the remote with your Roku player. Additionally, we’ll answer what to do in case your remote isn’t working.
How to Sync a Roku Remote to TV Volume
By syncing your Roku remote to the TV, you’ll be able to control the TV without using the one that comes with it. This means you could use your Roku remote to turn your TV on or off, change the volume, etc.
How to Sync Roku Remote to TV During Installation
If this is the first time you’re using Roku, you can sync your remote to the TV during the initial setup. Before getting to it, you’ll need to follow different on-screen instructions. To set it correctly, ensure you enter the right display type and keep the device connected to the internet. Additionally, adjust the TV volume.
Follow these steps for syncing your Roku remote to the TV during the initial setup:
- Press “Check remote settings.”
- Roku will now play music and ask you whether you hear it. Press “Yes.” If you don’t, increase the volume and try again.
- Roku will stop the music and ask you whether you’ve detected it. If you still hear the music, it means Roku didn’t get your TV information correctly. Enter the TV brand and try again until you hear the music stop.
- Once you’ve set it up, press “OK.”
How to Sync Roku Remote to TV After Installation
Before jumping to the next steps, ensure your Roku remote is properly paired to the Roku device. Follow the instruction below to do it:
- Ensure the batteries in your remote are working and stay close to the Roku player throughout the whole syncing process.
- Unplug the Roku player.
- After a few minutes, plug the Roku player back in.
- If you’re in the setup phase, you’ll most likely see the instructions for pairing the remote. If you’ve already set up Roku before, then you won’t see this message.
- Remove the battery compartment cover.
- Press and hold the pairing button inside the battery compartment for a few seconds.
The remote is now paired with your Roku player, and you can sync it to your TV:
If your remote doesn’t have the pairing button, follow these steps to sync it:
- Take the remote and press the Home button.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Press “Remotes & Devices.”
- Access “Set Up Remote for TV Control.”
- Press “Start.”
It might take a few minutes until the process is completed.
How Do I Use My Phone to Control Roku?
Read the instructions below if you want to learn how to set up your Roku app and use it instead of the remote.
Before jumping to the steps, ensure your Roku device and phone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Now, you need to allow your Roku to receive commands through the internet. Follow the instructions below to set it up:
1. Grab your remote and press “Home.”
2. Go to “Settings.”
3. Press “System.”
4. Select “Advanced system settings.”
5. Press “Control by mobile apps.”
6. Press “Network access.”
7. Select “Default.” This option enables you to control the Roku device using the Roku mobile app or another third-party app.
8. Open the Roku app on your phone and search for devices on your network.
9. Select your Roku device and connect to it.
Control Your TV With a Roku Remote
You can use your Roku remote to change the volume and turn your TV on and off by adjusting the right settings. The process differs depending on whether you’re setting up Roku for the first time or you’ve already installed it. Roku also enables you to download their app and use your phone as a remote.
We hope this article helped you learn how to sync a Roku remote to a TV. Additionally, we hope you’ve learned more about what to do if your remote is malfunctioning.
Have you ever experienced issues with your Roku remote? Do you use the Roku mobile app to control the device? Tell us in the comments section below.