How To Clear the Instagram Cache
Clearing your device’s cache is always a good thing to do. The cache on your phone temporarily stores information about photos and images. It does this so that when you return to the same website or app, these images will load more quickly. This, however, isn’t always beneficial. As your device’s cache stores this data, it is always taking up valuable space and can cause your device to slow down.
Instagram is chockful of photos and videos. This information could be taking up a lot of space on your mobile device, causing it to respond slower than it should. Fortunately, you can easily clear your phone’s Instagram cache. In this article, we’ll cover how to do it on 3 popular mobile devices.
Clear the Instagram Cache on an iPhone
Clearing your Instagram cache on your iPhone periodically is a good way to free up valuable cache space. Like most people, you probably spend a lot of time scrolling through your Instagram feed. By doing so, your iPhone’s cache is probably filled with data you don’t need. Since Instagram is mostly photos and videos, your cache can grow quite large in a short amount of time.
Unfortunately, the only way to free up this space and clear your Instagram cache is to delete and reinstall the app. You won’t lose your account and can easily reinstall the app. Here’s how to do it:
- Locate the Instagram app icon and hold your finger down on it.
- All of the app icons on your screen will begin to wiggle.
- You can either tap “Remove App” or press the “-” button located on the Instagram app icon in its top-left corner.
- Confirm that you want the app deleted.
- Click on the “App Store” icon and download Instagram.
- Once downloaded, launch the app and sign in with your credentials.
There is a way to clear your Instagram cache on your iPhone without deleting and reinstalling the app. It requires downloading an app to your Mac desktop and connecting your iPhone to it. If this is something you’re interested in, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Download iMyFone to your computer.
- Launch the app and connect your iPhone to your computer with an appropriate cable.
- Once your phone is detected, click “1-Click Free Up Space” from the left side of the screen.
- Press the blue “Quick Scan” button.
- After the app performs the scan, tap the “Clean” button.
Clear the Instagram Cache on an Android Device
If you are a regular visitor to Instagram using the Android app, your Instagram cache likely has a lot of unnecessary data. To free up some space to ensure that your Android device is working as smoothly as possible, it’s a good idea to periodically clear your Instagram cache. This can be achieved with a few quick taps on your phone. Thankfully, unlike an iPhone, you won’t have to delete and reinstall the Instagram app. To clear your Android’s Instagram cache, do the following:
- Launch your Android’s “Settings” app.
- Scroll down and tap on “App management.”
- Select “App settings,” locate “Instagram,” and tap on it.
- On this screen, you’ll see “Storage & cache” and tap on it.
- Located towards the top of the screen, click on “Clear cache.”
- Your space used for the Instagram cache will go to zero.
Clear the Instagram Cache on an Samsung Phone
If your apps are slowing down and your internet time seems to lag, the culprit could be your Instagram cache. Daily scrolling on Instagram can quickly take up a lot of space due to it being photo and video-based. There could be a lot of unnecessary data in your cache. Fortunately, clearing your Instagram cache on a Samsung phone is easy. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Open your phone’s “Settings.”
- Tap on “Apps.”
- Locate and click on “Instagram,” then select “Storage.”
- Located towards the bottom of the screen, press “Clear cache.”
How often should I clear my Instagram cache?
The answer to that question depends on how often you use the app. Your Instagram cache will retain data until you physically clear it. If you’re a regular Instagram scroller, the cache could quickly take up a lot of space. This is doubly true if you enjoy watching Instagram Reels, as these will create more data in your cache.
If you view Instagram daily for more than a few minutes, it’s a good practice to clear its cache more often than for the occasional user. If photos or reels are taking an unusually long time to load, this is a good sign that it’s time to clear its cache.
Instagram is still lagging on my device. Do I have any other options to get it working properly?
Clearing your Instagram cache typically helps the app to run smoother if you’ve been having loading issues. If this method didn’t help, and you’ve also cleared your search history, try rebooting your device. Check to ensure that you are connected to the internet and have a strong signal. If this doesn’t help, it’s best to delete the app and reinstall it.
Free Up Space by Clearing Your Phone’s Instagram Cache
Android and Samsung phone users can quickly clear their Instagram cache by heading over to their settings, locating the Instagram heading, and clearing the cache. Unfortunately, iPhone users don’t have it as easy. Instagram users who use the app for iPhones will need to delete the app to clear the cache. Fortunately, it’s easy to do. Clearing your Instagram cache will remove unnecessary data and could improve your mobile device’s performance.
Have you cleared your phone’s Instagram cache lately? Did you use the methods outlined in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.