How to Connect Wyze Camera to New WiFi
Although Wyze Camera devices are great, some of the instructions for their setup aren’t so clear. Connecting a Wyze Camera to a new Wi-Fi is one of those gray areas. There isn’t much info about this common problem.
When you move or change your ISP, you change your Wi-Fi connection, and Wyze should have thought of that at some point. However, this process isn’t as tricky as it sounds. Regardless, it’s pretty unintuitive and takes more time than it should.
Read on to find out how to properly connect your Wyze Camera to a new Wi-Fi connection.
Switching Wi-Fi Connections on Your Wyze Camera
The best way to connect a Wyze camera to new Wi-Fi is to treat the situation as if you’re setting up a brand new Wyze Camera. You shouldn’t delete any of the previous settings or try to adjust your old Wyze Cam. Although you’ll use the same device, treat it as a new one when setting up a new Wi-Fi connection.
This scenario means that you need to follow the standard setup process for your Wyze Cam. If you established a connection with your camera a long time ago or forgot the steps, you’re in luck.
Remember, a Wyze Camera requires a power source (power outlet or USB port), a smartphone app from the App Store or Google Play Store, and an internet connection. Since you already have a Wyze Camera, you already know the drill, and you probably already have the app.
Make sure your app is updated, and if there are any available firmware updates, do that as well. Finally, let’s move on with the Wi-Fi setup for your Wyze cam. Here’s what to do.
Steps to Connect Wyze Cameras to New Wi-Fi
- Launch the Wyze app on your Android or iPhone.
- Log in if you haven’t set the app to remember you.
- Connect your Wyze camera to the USB port or a power outlet. Wait until it flashes yellow (about thirty seconds).
- Hold the “Setup” button on the back of the camera until you hear the automated message “ready to connect.”
- Go back to the phone app and click on the ellipsis (three dots) in the top right corner of your screen. Tap on “Add a Product” and add your device using the correct name (Wyze Cam, Pan, Sensor, Bulb).
- The setup window will appear. Follow the instructions and give it time if necessary.
- You’ll get prompted to choose a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network and enter your password. Wyze Cams don’t work on 5GHz networks, so keep that in mind. Connect to your new Wi-Fi using the current password.
- Next, scan the QR code on the app with your Wyze Cam. When it scans the QR code, you’ll hear a voice command, “QR code scanner.” Tap on the “I heard the voice command” button.
You can now choose a new label for your Wyze Cam, using the device settings (gear icon) after you have selected it from the device listing. Just tap on the name and enter a new one.
If you have more than one Wyze Camera that you need to connect to a new Wi-Fi network, repeat these steps for each one until you set up all of them. You can do further customizations on your own, choosing motion and sound detection, etc.
Enjoy Your New Wyze Camera Setup
It’s unfortunate that you have to go through the entire installation process again when you’re only changing your Wi-Fi network, but as of now (October 2019), that’s your only option.
Maybe in the future, Wyze will introduce a new innovative system that recognizes a new network and allows you to connect to it more easily. Until then, use this tutorial, and you’ll be able to switch to new networks on as many cameras as you want.