How To Create a Goal on a Garmin Device
Fitness watches are incredibly popular these days, and Garmin makes some of the best on the market. Regardless of which Garmin watch you have, you’ll need the Garmin Connect app to make the most of it.
The Goals feature in Garmin connect lets you create running, swimming, cycling, or custom goal. Each of the goals offers several customization options.
How To Create a Goal on a Garmin Device from the Desktop
You can create a distance or a timeframe goal, for example. However, you can only create and track Goals on the Garmin Connect website, not the mobile app. Therefore, to create a workout goal, here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the Garmin Connect website and log into your account.
- Find the “Goals” button on the left-hand navigation menu.
- Select “Create a New Goal” and name it.
- From a drop-down menu, select the type of activity.
- Choose the goal type, target, duration, and start date.
- Click “Save.”
Remember, the drop-down menu will also give you the option to create a custom workout. It’s possible that the progress you’re making with a custom goal won’t update as you expect, so keep that in mind.
That can happen when your goal is too specific, for example, if you put “Road cycling” instead of “Cycling.” On the Garmin Connect web app, you’ll also see all your active, future, and past goals. You’ll have a complete overview of workout goals.
How To Change Your Step Goal in Garmin Connect
While some people have more ambitious plans with their Garmin devices, others use it to track their daily steps.
While 10,000 steps per day are the recommended average, that number will vary depending on a person’s age and overall well-being.
No doubt, walking is healthy for you, and Garmin Connect can help you keep track of it. However, when you purchase the Garmin device, you’ll get a default setting for the step goal. Fortunately, you can easily change that. Here’s how:
- Launch the Garmin Connect app on your mobile device.
- On the top-left corner of the screen, tap on the three horizontal lines
- When a new menu appears, tap on the “Garmin Devices” option.
- Tap on your Garmin device and then tap on “Activity Tracking.”
- Scroll down a bit and click on “Daily Steps.”
- An “Edit Goal” window will pop up. You’ll see “Auto Goal” and a blue toggle next to it. Tap on the blue toggle.
- Manually enter your step goal and click “Save.”
Inside the “Activity Tracking” section, you can also set the daily goal for “Floors Climbed” and “Weekly Intensity Minutes.”
Change Your Weight Goal in Garmin Connect
People use Garmin Connect to keep tabs on their ideal weight – either by losing or gaining a few pounds. It allows you to set up a goal weight and then track your progress.
The good news is that you can always change your goal weight if you choose to. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open your Garmin Connect app and tap on the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner.
- Scroll down and select “Settings.”
- Now, tap on “Health Stats” followed by “Weight.”
- Tap on “Add Weight” and enter the number you have in mind.
Your Garmin device doesn’t track your weight. Instead, you have to manually enter the weight or use a smart scale that connects to the Garmin Connect app.
1. Will activities I import from other platforms count?
It’s pretty common to use more than one fitness platform when you’re getting into shape. If you have a Garmin watch, then the Garmin Connect app is your go-to dashboard.
However, people who use other fitness apps can import activities to Garmin Connect. Many apps are supported, and to illustrate how it works, we’ll show you how to connect Strava and Garmin Connect.
Strava is a popular fitness app that many runners, cyclists, and swimmers use, especially when preparing for competitions. Here’s how you import data from Strava to Garmin Connect:
1. Open your Garmin Connect app and go to “Settings.”
2. Select “Connected Apps” and then find “Strava” (or any other app) on the list.
3. The accept the prompt to “Upload your activities from Strava to Garmin Connect.”
4. All your activities will be imported automatically. However, it might take a few moments.
Also, Garmin Connect will sync past 90 days of your activity on Strava.
You can manually import activities to Garmin Connect as well. First, you have to access the app’s web version, select “Import Data,” and then click on “Browse.”
4. How do I create a challenge in Garmin Connect?
Some people get the best results when they compete with others. Garmin Connect allows you to take advantage of that drive by enabling users to compete against each other.
Anyone can join a swimming, running, or cycling challenge for a single day, week, or even longer. Here’s how that works:
1. Open your Garmin Connect app and find “Challenges” at the bottom of the screen.
2. Tap on “Create Challenge” and then “Connections” to invite others to the challenge.
3. Tap “Next” and then select the “Challenge Type.”
4. Select the “Challenge Duration” and tap “Let’s Do This.”
The winner of the challenge will be declared in the official Leaderboard section in the Garmin Connect app. You’ll also get an email.
Achieving Every Goal With Garmin
Garmin devices have many fantastic features and customization options. In addition, they’re easily manageable via the Garmin Connect app. You can set step goals and weight goals and sync the Garmin Connect app with numerous third-party apps.
The workout is the only feature that requires you to use the web app for the setup and tracking in terms of goals. It might be somewhat inconvenient, given that the app can do everything else, but that’s how it works for now. You can also use Garmin to create challenges, track your sleep, and so much more.
Do you use Garmin devices? How do you like the Garmin Connect app? Let us know in the comments section below.