How to Open Cans in Dayz
You stumbled upon canned food in DayZ and wanted to obtain its energy. Although you tried to figure out how to open the can, it’s proven to be more difficult than expected.
There are multiple ways to go about it, but it depends on the type of can and the instrument you use for opening it. If you’re feeling a little malnourished and need the energy locked in these little cans, you’re in the right place.
Read on to learn about the multiple ways of opening cans in DayZ on Xbox One, PS4, and PC.
How to Open Cans in DayZ
The trouble among new and returning players is noticeable when it comes to finding food. After all, Chernarus is notable both in size and famine. To avoid starving, the first thing to learn about your food is to differentiate cans into two categories: those that come with rings and those without one.
If the can has a ring pull, you open it with your bare hands. Check out these steps to open a ringed can:
- Open your inventory.
- Select the can to put it in your hands.
- Press the left mouse button on PC, RT (Right Trigger) on Xbox, and R2 on PS4. The can will open after the animation is finished.
Though it may look necessary, there is no need to hold the button down. The following are among the canned goods you can open without needing any tools.
- Canned Pork
- Canned Tuna
- Canned Lunchmeats
- Canned Dog and Cat Food
Non-Pull Tab Cans
For cans that don’t have rings, you can use a Can Opener. The following are cans that require a tool to open:
- Canned Sardines
- Canned Baked Beans
- Canned Peaches
- Canned Spaghetti
- Canned Bacon
Though you can’t repair them once they break, the perk of using a functional Can Opener is that you don’t spill any of the canned food. To use one, check out these instructions for opening cans:
- Open the inventory.
- Take the canned food to place it on the floor.
- Hold a can opener in your hands.
- Press the action button. It is the LMB on PC, R2 on PS4, and RT on Xbox.
- It is necessary to hold the action button until the animation is complete.
- Press the action button to pick up the can.
If a recently opened can disappear from the inventory, it’s because the can is inside a “Protector Case.” To retrieve the can, simply select your protector case. As a general note, remember to check your inventory as you may already have some food at the beginning of your games.
If retrieving doesn’t seem to be enough on its own, check out the following surviving tips to make better use of your food and energy.
How to Move Efficiently to Find More Canned Food
Since DayZ food and water is all about energy, here are some extra survival tips to improve your food and energy usage:
- Dried food: don’t consume burned or rotten food as it will make you sick. Though dried food may look inedible, unlike rotten and burned foods, dried food is edible.
- “Food stations”: check out the stranded boats at the coast. Occasionally, they have food items, such as canned foods and drinks, dry sacs, fishing hooks, raincoats, and more. Greenhouses and Polytunnels can also contain canned food, drinks, and more.
- Fruits and mushrooms: you can also find pears, apples, and plums under fruit trees. As for mushrooms, they are all edible, plus you can find them everywhere, especially after it rains.
Can You Open Cans Without a Can Opener?
Some cans require no tool to open them. As for those that need a tool to be opened, you can open them using instruments other than a Can Opener.
Although there is a spillage factor when you don’t use Can Openers, it may be worth it if you don’t have a Can Opener. Therefore, the main advantage of Can Openers overs other instruments is that they open the cans relatively quickly without any spillage.
If you lack a Can Opener, you can opt for sharp tools, such as a screwdriver, knife, ax, bayonet, and more. No matter the instrument, if it is sharp, the instructions for opening a can remain the same as previously mentioned.
Canned Food Saves the Day
It is paramount to collect and make good use of every food item you find as long as it isn’t rotten or burned. In the ruthless Chernarus, drinks and food are the new wine and gold. Hence, for those food items that you can’t carry with you, don’t drop them. Instead, eat them on the spot to turn them into energy. If you can’t open the cans, hold on to them and search for a sharp tool to get to your meal. When it comes to surviving Chernarus, every little bit counts.
What is your favorite go-to alternative tool to the “Can Opener” for opening cans? How much has canned food been crucial for your survival? Let us know in the comment section below.