How to Delete a Playlist in Spotify
Spotify is a popular music streaming service available for a wide range of devices. It has an ever-growing library with thousands of podcasts, songs, and videos by creators from all around the globe.
By downloading the app, you can create personalized playlists and share them with other users. But apart from adding new music, there’s also the option to remove songs from your account. In this article, we’ll show you how to delete a playlist from Spotify on different devices with a step-by-step breakdown.
How to Delete a Playlist on Spotify?
If you’ve grown tired of a particular playlist, you can simply remove it from your library. It takes just a few simple steps to edit your account. Here’s how to delete a playlist on Spotify:
- Open the desktop app on your computer.
- Locate the playlist in the library on the left-hand side and click on it. Then click on the three tiny dots in the top-right corner.
- A small pop-up menu will appear. Choose “Delete” from the list of options.
- Click “Delete” once more to complete the process.
You can also access Spotify from your web browser. Sign in to your account and repeat the same steps on the web player website. The following browsers allow you to delete a playlist from Spotify:
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
However, with this method, you can only delete the playlists from your account. Spotify stores all shared playlists on its server. That means even if you’ve removed them from your library, they’re still available to the other subscribers and followers of that playlist.
If you don’t want your followers to access a specific playlist, you have to remove all the tracks manually. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to your library and click on the shared playlist.
- Press “Shift” and highlight all the tracks.
- Right-click to open a drop-down menu.
- Choose “Delete” from the list of options.
- To turn the playlist into a divider, rename it to “-“after you cleared all the tracks.
How to Remove a Playlist From Spotify on iPhone?
Spotify is one of the more popular streaming apps in the App Store. You can download it for free or sign up for a premium subscription. Either way, you’re able to make changes to your playlists.
Here’s how to remove a playlist from Spotify on iPhone:
- Tap on the Spotify icon to run the app.
- Click on the “Your Library” tab in the bottom-right corner.
- Tap on the three horizontal dots in the top-right corner.
- Scroll down and select “Delete Playlist” from the options menu.
- A pop-up box will appear asking if you want to delete the playlist. Tap “Delete” to confirm.
This method works if you have a new generation model and the latest firmware. However, previous iOS installments require slightly different steps. Here’s how to delete playlists from Spotify on an older version of iOS:
- Go to Spotify > Your Library.
- Select “Playlists” from the list of options.
- Tap on the “Edit” button to access the list of playlists.
- Scroll to the playlist you want to delete. Tap on the little red circle next to it, on the left-hand side.
- Tap on the “Delete” button to complete the removal.
How to Remove a Playlist From Spotify on Android?
You can also download Spotify from the Google Play Store. Although the app performs differently on each device and operating system, some features are the same.
The option to remove an entire playlist from your account is available for Android devices as well. Here’s how to remove a playlist from Spotify on Android:
- Tap on the Spotify icon to access the app.
- Open the “Library” tab in the bottom-right corner. Click on the three vertical dots in the top-right corner.
- Select “Delete” from the options menu.
How Do I Delete Songs From a Playlist?
Of course, deleting entire playlists isn’t the only way to curate your Spotify account. The app allows you to delete individual songs as well. Here’s how to delete songs from a playlist on your computer:
1. Launch your Spotify desktop app.
2. Select the playlist you want to edit from the sidebar on the left-hand side. You can also use the search function to locate the playlist.
3. Click on the playlist and start scrolling. Select the song you want to delete and click on the three horizontal dots next to it.
4. Choose the “Remove from This Playlist” option from the drop-down menu.
You can delete individual songs on your Spotify mobile app as well. It works for both iOS and Android devices. Here’s how to do it:
1. Access the app by clicking on the icon.
2. Scroll through the “Playlists” section and click on the one you want to edit. You can also type in the title in the search dialog box.
3. Find the song you want to remove and click on it. Then tap on the three tiny dots next to it.
4. A pop-up menu will appear. Select the “Remove from this Playlist” option.
Spotify automatically creates specific playlists based on your activity. For example, there’s both a “Recently Played” and a “Liked Songs” list. Even though they’re created by default, you’re able to edit them. Here’s how to remove songs from the “Recently Played” playlist:
1. Open Spotify.
2. Navigate to the menu sidebar on the left-hand side.
3. Select “Recently Played” from the list of options.
4. Scroll through the content. This includes all songs, podcasts, albums, playlists, or videos you recently added to your library. Hold your cursor over the file you want to delete. Click on the three horizontal dots.
5. Select the “Remove from Recently Played” option.
Once you “like” a song, it’s automatically added to your “Liked Songs” list. You can do it by tapping on the little heart icon next to the song title. However, in case your finger slipped, there’s a way to undo it:
1. Open the Spotify app and go to the library.
2. Click on the “Liked Songs” playlist.
3. Find the song you want to remove. Tap on the little heart next to it.
If the heart icon is no longer green, you’ve successfully removed the song from the “Liked Songs” playlist.
How Do You Delete Playlists on Spotify Fast?
There’s a keyboard shortcut you can use if you want to remove multiple songs from your library. Unfortunately, it’s only available for older versions of the desktop app.
If you have yet to update your operating system, you can give it a go. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open your Spotify desktop app.
2. Choose a song from your library.
3. Hold CTRL + A and then click the “Delete” button on your keyboard.
How Do I Remove Spotify From My iPhone?
If you’re no longer happy with the app, you can simply uninstall it. Here’s how to remove Spotify from your iPhone:
1. Tap on the app icon to open Spotify.
2. Go to “Home” and click on the small gear icon to open “Settings.”
3. Click on “Storage” and then select “Delete Cache” from the list of options.
4. Exit the app and go to your device “Settings.”
5. Click “General,” then select “iPhone Storage” from the list of options.
6. Scroll through the list of apps and locate “Spotify.”
7. Choose to “Offload the App” and click “Yes” to confirm. The app itself will be removed from your device, but the documents will still be there.
8. Now select the “Delete App” option to remove leftover files.
9. Turn your iPhone off for a few minutes.
10. When you turn it back on, Spotify will be removed entirely.
Spotify Premium users might want to cancel their account before they uninstall the app. You can do that on your iOS device by using the “Settings” app. Here’s how:
1. Open your device “Settings.”
2. Go to the iTunes and App Store section.
3. Open the “Subscription” tab and scroll through the list.
4. Tap on “Spotify” to open an options menu.
5. A new window will appear. Choose the “Cancel Subscription” option.
How Do I Recover Spotify Playlists?
If you accidentally removed a playlist from your library, don’t worry. Spotify offers the option to recover deleted files. Here’s how to do it by using your web browser:
1. Log into your Spotify account.
2. From the navigation pane on the left-hand side, select “Recover Playlists.”
3. A list of recently deleted playlists will appear. Find the one you want to recover and click “Restore.”
4. Go back to your account home page and check if the playlist is available in your library.
5. You can also use keyboard shortcuts if you’re using your computer. Hold CTRL + Shift + Z for Windows OS and CTRL + Z for macOS devices.
Keep in mind that Spotify will permanently delete an unrecovered playlist after 90 days.
Spotify the Difference
As you can see, removing playlists from your Spotify account is super easy. The app allows you to edit your media library on all devices manually. There’s also a nifty keyboard shortcut you can use for the older desktop version.
In case you change your mind, don’t worry – there’s a way to restore deleted data. Just make sure to catch that 90-day window of opportunity.
What’s your experience with Spotify? Do you prefer other streaming services? Feel free to share your favorite playlists in the comments below.