How to Delete a Server in Discord
Discord servers can become redundant. Maybe your community isn’t active anymore, or you’ve migrated to a different server. If so, you may want to delete your Discord server. However, make sure that’s what you want to do. Once it’s deleted, there’s no way to recover it.
In this article, you’ll learn how to delete your Discord server.
How to Delete Your Discord Server
Only the server creator can delete a server on the Discord platform. If you’re the creator of the server you wish to delete, follow the steps below for the browser and desktop app method:
- Navigate to the server icon you wish to delete. It should show up on the left-hand side of your screen.
- Select the drop-down menu after clicking on the server name. In the bottom left corner, select the option “delete server”.
- A text box will appear. Enter the name of the server in the text box, then select the option that says “delete server.”
That’s all there is to it! You can delete your server in just a few simple steps. Bear in mind that if you have a double-factor authentication code on your server, you’ll need to type in the code digits before completing the deletion.
If you’re on the mobile version then follow the steps below:
- Open the Discord application and navigate to the server you wish to delete.
- Next, press and hold the server icon to select More Options.
- Select “Settings”. After that, go to the three dots located in the upper left corner and choose “Delete Server.”
- Select the “Delete” option again to confirm.
This is a great option for freeing up space. The free version of Discord only allows you to use 100 servers. If you want to add more, you have to pay a monthly subscription to Discord Nitro. Deleting servers is a free, convenient alternative. However, there are other ways to do it.
How to Leave a Discord Server
As mentioned, you can’t delete a Discord server unless you created it. But you can still leave the server itself if you don’t want to receive notifications or engage with other members. The server will continue to exist, and you can always receive an invitation or send a request if you change your mind.
Here’s how to do it on the desktop app or browser:
- Begin by right-clicking on the server icon you want to leave.
- Out of the options, choose “Leave server.” And then confirm by choosing “Leave Server” again.
To leave a server on the mobile app:
- Enter the app, tap, and hold on to the Discord server icon on the left-hand side of the app.
- Then select “More Options.”
- A menu should appear. Choose “Leave Server” and then re-select “Leave Sever” to confirm.
How to Transfer Ownership of a Discord Server
In some cases, leaving a server or deleting it may not be an option. For example, you’ve created a Discord server that you don’t want to delete, but you do want to leave. The platform offers the option of transferring ownership to a different user.
Here’s how it’s done:
- After opening server settings, navigate to “Members” on the left and select it.
- From here, you’ll have a list of every member present on your server. Find the username of the user you want to transfer your ownership.
- Select the hamburger menu on the right. Select the last option that reads “Transfer Ownership.”
Follow these steps to transfer ownership on the mobile version:
- Tap and hold on the server icon you want to transfer ownership and then select “Severs Settings”
- Go to “Members” and select the user you want for the ownership transfer.
- Instead of the hamburger menu, a smaller menu will open up after tapping on the member. Select the “Transfer Ownership” option.
- You then toggle the switch that acknowledges transferring ownership.
- Below the toggle switch you click the “transfer option.”
Once you transfer ownership of the server, you’ll be able to leave it while it’s safeguarded by the new owner. However, if you’re concerned with the server staying up, we suggest only transferring ownership to users that you completely trust. Many transfer ownership to themselves, only on a different Discord account.
How to Archive a Discord Server
Archiving a Discord server allows you to temporarily disable the server, which means that all channels and messages will be hidden from view until you reactivate it. This is a useful option if you want to take a break from managing a community, but still want to keep all of your information intact.
Simply follow the steps below to archive your discord server:
- Open the server you wish to archive and click on the three dots icon located on the right side of the channel’s name.
- Select the option “Archive channel” and confirm the action when prompted by a confirmation message.
- Click on “Archive” to complete the process.
Once you archive the channel, it will no longer be visible on your channels list to the left side of the screen. The channel itself will still be visible through permission, however. If you decide that you want the channel back, you can unarchive it as well.
- Go over the channels on the left-hand side of your Discord app.
- At the very bottom, select the three dots icon.
- From there, select the option “Browse Channels and then select “Archived.”
- You’ll then be taken to a list of all the archived channels. Choose the one you want to unarchive.
- This will take you to a menu displaying channel information. Select “Unarchive Channel” at the very bottom. Confirm by selecting “Unarchive” once more.
Once you unarchive a channel, it should reappear to the left of your screen with all the other images and server information. When you unarchive a channel, it becomes visible again in the workspace and the messages that were previously sent in the channel will also be visible.
All the members who were part of the channel before it was archived will also regain access to it. However, any notifications or mentions that were sent while the channel was archived won’t be delivered to members.
What happens to a Discord server when the owner leaves or is inactive?
If the server owner leaves or is inactive, the server will still exist, but no one will be able to manage it. In such cases, it’s best to transfer ownership or archive/delete the server to prevent it from being misused.
Can I recover a deleted Discord server?
No, once a Discord server is deleted, it can’t be recovered. Make sure to export any important data before deleting a server.
Can I delete a Discord server if I’m not the owner?
No, only the server owner or someone with the necessary permissions can delete a Discord server.
What happens when I leave a Discord server?
When you leave a Discord server, you’ll no longer have access to its channels, messages, or members.
Can I recover a Discord server after archiving it?
Yes, you can unarchive a Discord server at any time to restore it to its previous state.
Can I leave a Discord server and still keep my account?
Yes, leaving a Discord server doesn’t affect your account or any other servers you may belong to.
Managing Your Servers Wisely
Deleting a Discord account is relatively straightforward. Just be sure that you want to get rid of it. Once you delete a server, all those chats, files, and memories are gone forever. The same goes for transferring ownership from one user to another. If you still want a thriving community on the server, be sure to transfer ownership to someone that you trust.
What do you think about the deletion process for Discord servers? Do you think it’s better to just leave a Discord sever rather than delete it? Let us know in the comments section below.