How To Invite Someone to a Server in Discord
Instant invites are a great way to give your friends access to your Discord server as long as they have the link available. Not only do instant invites make it easy to invite your friends, but they also allow you to set different parameters to control who can access your server and when and for how long they can access it. In this guide, we’ll go over how to create and customize an instant invite on Discord.
How to Invite Someone to a Discord Server
No matter what device you’re using, inviting someone to your Discord server is more or less the same process.
That being said, we’ll show you how to do it on PC, Mac, and mobile devices.
Desktop Instructions (PC/Mac)
To invite someone to a private Discord server, you’ll need to have instant invite permissions. If you own the server, then you have them by default. For others, you’ll need the server owner to provide them to your role within the server.
With the proper permissions:
- Launch Discord either from your browser or the desktop app.
- Right-click the server on the left-hand side panel.
- Right-click on the channel, and a pop-up menu will appear. Select Invite People from this menu, and a window will pop up with an invitation link. You can also click on the Invite People icon to the right of the channel name.
- Click Edit Invite under the invite link. Here, you’ll be able to choose from the following options:
- Expire After: Choose when you want the invite link to expire.
- Max Number of Uses: Limit the number of people you want to be able to use the link.
- Grant Temporary Membership: Give temporary membership to users. Once they leave the server, they cannot rejoin without another invite.
- Once you’re done with the settings, click Generate a New Link.
- Click Copy to save the invitation link to your clipboard.
That’s all there is to it. Just send this link to whoever you want to invite, and once they click on the link, they can instantly join your Discord server.
Inviting someone to a Discord server on a mobile device is nearly the same as doing so on a desktop. Just follow these steps to get started:
- Launch the Discord app on your iOS or Android device and log into your account.
- At the top-left of the screen, tap the three vertically stacked, horizontal lines. This will open up your server list on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Tap on the server icon, and a list of all the text and voice channels of that server will appear.
- Tap the Invite Members icon just below the server name.
- Tap the name of the person you want to invite.
- Or copy the link to be dispensed as you see fit.
Once you copy the link to your clipboard, you can send it to anyone you want to invite to your Discord server.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to more questions you may have about Discord’s invite links.
Can I invite someone directly to a channel?
Absolutely! If you want to invite another Discord user to a channel you can. The only difference between inviting someone to a channel is that you’ll need to right-click on the channel. Then, select Invite People.
Do I need permission to invite others to a Discord server?
You don’t need special permissions to invite someone to a Public Discord server. However, if the server is private or restricted you won’t see the Invite People link.
I received an invite but can’t join the server. What’s happening?
If you received an invite but get an error stating you can’t join, it’s either because the invite link expired or you’re a member of too many servers.
Discord adds a limit of 100 servers that an individual can join. If you’ve reached that cap, leave a server and try accepting the invite.
If the link has expired, request a new link. Then, try joining again.
Do I have to send an invite to a Discord server?
Any of your friends can join a public Discord server without an invite. But, other users will need to be invited to a private server. However, sending an invite makes it easier for your friend to find the public server you want them to join. As opposed to searching the public server directory, an invite link makes things faster and easier.
Discord is a great platform for communication with your friends via voice and text chat, though its interface can take some getting used to.
By following the steps listed above, you can quickly and easily invite anyone to your server on Discord. To get the most out of your Discord experience, check out some of our other great pieces, such as How To Delete All Messages in Discord.