How to Send Files on Discord
Sometimes, a simple text message isn’t enough to get your point across. Being able to send along a picture or file is a handy capability to have.
In this article, we’ll show you how to send files through Discord, and a few alternatives when Discord refuses to play ball.
Sending Files on Discord via PC
Sending a file via PC on Discord is a very simple process. On the left side of the text input box at the bottom of the window is a + icon. Click it. A file select box will appear and let you choose what file to upload. Pick your file then click Upload. Checking the Mark as spoiler box will hide the file with a Spoiler image. Keep in mind that Discord has upload limits for files you’re allowed to send.
The icons to the right of the text input box are the gift icon, the gif icon, and the emoticon icon respectively.
The gift icon lets you buy a friend a Discord Nitro account. The gif icon lets you choose form a selection of animated gifs to display with your message. The emoticon icon lets you choose an emoticon.
Sending Files on Discord via Mobile
Sending files via Discord on a mobile device is also quite easy. Open the Discord app and do the following:
- Enter the server or channel that you want to send the file to.
- If you want to send the file to a particular person, click their name to create a private message.
- At the bottom of the message list, you should see two icons: A camera, and an image.
- Tapping on the camera will open your phone’s camera. You can take a picture and send this directly via the Discord app.
- Tapping on the image icon will open several other icons. The keyboard will let you enter a text message. The image icon will let you upload a picture from your image gallery. The document icon will let you upload a video, an image file, an audio file, text documents, or even software such as apk files. The camera icon will also open your camera.
- You can select multiple files and send them all at once. Each file you choose will get a checkmark.
- Clicking the Send or right arrow icon will upload the files to Discord.
Discord File Upload Limits
Discord has upload limits for files that you can attach to your messages. The limit for a regular Discord account is 8MB. The Nitro Classic subscription has an upload limit of 50MB. The Discord Nitro subscription offers an upload limit of 100MB per file.
The Discord Nitro Classic subscription is available for $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year. The Discord Nitro, on the other hand, is offered at $9.99 per month or $99.99 a year.
Bypassing the Upload Limits
If you want to send files to your Discord friends but can’t do so because of the upload limit, you can simply bypass it. This can be done by uploading your file to an online file storage service and then share the link to it in Discord. We’ve listed a few of the most popular websites you can use below:
- Youtube – The popular video streaming site offers a default upload limit of 15 minutes per video. This limit can be expanded by getting verified. Once verified, you can upload up to a limit of 128GB or 12 hours per video whichever is less.
- Streamable – This video uploading site doesn’t require you to create an account to use it. Just upload a video or choose a URL link with a video on it and you can now create a link to the file. Streamable also allows you to edit your video clips, so it’s a rather popular option for Discord. The site has a limit of 10 minutes per video or 1GB per file, whichever is smaller. Those who have pro subscriptions don’t have upload limits.
- Google Drive – Google’s own cloud-based file uploading site, it offers different upload limits depending on the file’s type. For documents, up to 50MB per file, for presentations up to 100MB per file, for spreadsheets, up to five million cells, and for other files, up to 5TB.
- Dropbox – This file hosting site offers up to 50GB of upload space. There are no file size limits other than the 50GB cap. As long as you can still fit a file in your storage, you can upload it.
Discord has greatly simplified the process of sharing files with other people. Although limited by an upload cap, this restriction can be easily be bypassed with a little know-how.
Do you know of other ways to send files via Discord? Do you have other upload sites that you may want to share? Go to the comments section and give us your thoughts.