How To Download a Photo Album in Facebook
In the early days of Facebook, people uploaded 20 photos from a single event. They would create and name the album and leave it at that. These days, most users are more discerning about how many pictures they’ll post in a single album, but the photos still accumulate.
Perhaps you want to remove these albums one day but would like to save the pictures to your computer first. Fortunately, you don’t have to download one photo at a time, as Facebook allows you to download an entire album.
There are a couple of ways to download an album from your Facebook profile; the steps below will help. Also, we’ll discuss whether you can download other people’s Facebook albums and how to address specific privacy settings.
How to Download a Facebook Album
Even if you haven’t created any albums on Facebook, the platform will automatically create the “Profile Photos” and “Cover Photos” albums. Therefore, you can download these photos in bulk.
So, regardless of how many Facebook albums you have, the following steps are required to download them to your computer successfully:
- Login to your Facebook account and go to your profile page.
- Click on “Photos.”
- Locate the “Albums” tab.
- Select an album you want to download and click on the three horizontal dots in the top-right corner.
- From the drop-down menu, select the “Download album” option.
- Click “Continue.”
Immediately, Facebook will start creating a ZIP file containing all the photos in the selected album. Keep in mind that the size of the album will determine how long the process takes.
Once the ZIP file is ready, Facebook will notify you that the download is possible. You’ll be prompted to enter your Facebook password before completing the download.
Important: While you can save individual photos on the Facebook mobile app, downloading albums is only possible via a web browser.
You can repeat the download process for every album you want to save on your computer.
How to Download All Your Facebook Photos
If downloading one album at a time is still not efficient enough, there is another solution you can try. With only a few clicks, you can download all your photos, including albums, timeline posts, and more.
Here’s what you need to do to download all your photos from Facebook:
- Log into your Facebook account and go to “Settings.”
- Select the “Your Facebook information” option from the left-side pane.
- From the list of available options, go to “Download your information” by clicking on the “View” button.
- Under the “Select file options” section, choose the format, media quality, and date range for the download.
- Click the “Deselect all” button under the “Select information to download” section.
- Only check the “Posts” box.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the “Request a download” button under the “Start your download section.
Again, Facebook will take a few moments to gather information. If you have many photos and videos, the process may take longer. Once it prepares the ZIP file, you’ll receive a notification.
Also, downloading all posts will include any photo effects you’ve used and status updates you’ve written. Furthermore, when choosing file format, you can choose between HTML and JSON.
If you want to download every profile photo, select “All time” from the “Date Range” menu.
Finally, you can check other available boxes when downloading all Facebook posts. For example, you can download all saved items and posts, polls, events, messages, comments and reactions, Reels, and more. Essentially, Facebook allows you to download and store everything you’ve done on your profile.
How to Transfer Facebook Albums
Did you know that you can move albums from Facebook to another location without downloading them first? It’s a pretty straightforward process, but you have to make sure you have enough storage space in your Dropbox or Google Drive to transfer all the albums.
If that’s not an issue, follow these steps to learn how to transfer an album from Facebook:
- Open your Facebook profile and choose an album you want to move.
- Click on the three dots on the album.
- From the drop-down menu, select the “Transfer album” option.
- When a new window appears, select the desired location. For example, you can move the album to Google Photos or Dropbox.
- On the following page, you can choose whether to move the entire album or all your photos. Or choose a specific date range.
- You can select the same options for your Facebook videos.
- Click on the “Next” button.
- Select the “Connect” button if the chosen platform is not connected to your Facebook already.
- Click on the “Start Transfer” option.
How to Download Individual Photos From Facebook
In case you’re unfamiliar with downloading a single photo from Facebook, we’ll guide you through all the possibilities.
Undoubtedly, the easiest and most efficient option is to right-click on any photo and select the “Save image as” option. You can choose where to store your photo, and that’s all there is to it.
But another option yields the same result and is just as efficient and straightforward.
- Select a photo on your Facebook or one of your friends’ profiles.
- On the right side of the screen, select the three dots next to your or the person’s name.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Download.”
- Select the storage location on your computer and rename the file if necessary.
Your chosen picture or video will automatically be saved on your device.
You can also download photos using the Facebook iOS or Android app. Here’s how:
- Launch the Facebook app on your mobile device.
- Find the image you want to download.
- Tap the three horizontal dots at the top-right corner.
- Select “Save” from the drop-down menu.
The photo will automatically download to your phone’s gallery. Keep in mind that you can’t affect the photo’s resolution; typically, the saved picture is not of the best quality.
Of course, another nifty solution is to screenshot the photo and save it in your screenshot folder.
How to Hide Photos From Your Facebook Timeline
Instead of downloading photos from your Facebook profile and deleting them, you can also hide specific images from other users. That way, you don’t have to deal with album downloads or transfers but still curate your photos and albums to your liking.
Here’s how you hide a photo from your Facebook timeline if you have already posted the photo:
- Locate the photo on your Facebook timeline.
- Select the three horizontal dots in the top-right corner.
- Choose “Edit audience” from the menu.
- Press “Custom” from the pop-up window to exclude specific users. Or select “Only me” if you want to hide the photo from everyone.
- Select “Done.”
But if you want to customize who sees your photos in the future, follow these steps:
- Go to the Facebook Settings page.
- Under the “Your Activity” section, select “Who can see your posts.”
- Select whether only your friends can see the posts or choose “Friends except…” to prevent specific users from seeing your photos and other posts. Alternatively, choose “Only me” if you want to hide them from everyone.
Can you move photos from one Facebook album to another?
Yes, that’s possible. All you need to do is open a photo in an album, click on the three dots, and choose “Move to Another album” from the menu.
Can I add photos to an existing Facebook album?
Yes, you can. By clicking on the “Add Photos” button in a specific Facebook album, you can include new pictures to an existing album. You can also delete the images you don’t have in the same album.
Can you create a Facebook album with existing photos on your timeline?
Absolutely, you can. Perhaps the photos you’ve been uploading have a common theme, and you want to combine them in an album. First, you’d need to create an album, name it, and then move the photos to the newly created Facebook album. You can also make the album first and then upload photos from your device.
Managing Facebook Albums With Ease
Facebook albums can serve as practical and sentimental documentation of your life and activities over the years. Sometimes we post pictures on Facebook and erase them from our devices. Fortunately, you can download entire albums from Facebook, but only via a web browser.
You can download individual photos and customize other album settings using the Facebook app. Also, if you want to download all your Facebook posts, including all images, the download process is pretty simple and offers several customization options.
Finally, you can create new albums, transfer photos to other platforms, and move photos from one album to another.
Do you upload many photos on Facebook and create albums? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.