How to Add a Column in Excel
Excel is one of the best tools for data analysis and data storage. You can create millions of columns and rows and automate all kinds of activities. For example, Excel is perfect for keeping up with employee work schedules or student grades. One column can represent a person’s last name or some other category.
So, what happens when you need to add another category to an already prepared Excel table?
Fortunately, adding a new column in Excel is a quick and straightforward process. There are different ways you can go about adding columns, and we’ll guide you through both.
How to Add a Column in Excel on a PC
Imagine feeling pleased with yourself for completing all your Excel data entry projects for work. Then, your boss calls and tells you that you need to add more data to the spreadsheet.
You’ll need to add at least another column to the existing sheet. It’s more work, but luckily it won’t take long. If you’re working in Excel on your Microsoft PC or Mac, the steps to add another column to Excel are the same.
First, let’s talk about the quickest and most used method of adding a column in Excel. Here’s how it works:
- Select the entire column by clicking on the column letter at the top. Alternatively, press Ctrl + spacebar.
- Then, right-click anywhere on the column. When a menu appears, click the “Insert” option.
A new column will automatically appear on the left side of the column you’ve selected. Keep in mind that new columns are always inserted on the left, and there is no option to change that.
If you want to add multiple columns simultaneously, select as many columns as you need and repeat the process.
Don’t worry about losing the count of the columns. As you select the columns, a small box will appear under the cursor and show the exact count.
Perhaps this is the road less traveled when adding new columns in Excel, but it’s an option that might come in handy sometimes. Here’s another way to add a column in excel.
- Select any column, or even just a cell, next to which you want to add a new row.
- Go to the “Home” tab and then to the “Cells” ribbon.
- Click on “Insert,” and from the drop-down menu, select “Insert Sheet Columns.”
Another column will immediately be added on the left side of the column or cell you’ve selected.
How to Add a Column in Excel on an Android Phone
These days using Excel on a smartphone has never been more convenient. If you’re an Android user, you can edit an Excel spreadsheet with a few finger taps.
Adding a new column in the Excel Android app is relatively easy. Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch Excel on your Android phone and start a new work workbook or open an existing one.
- To add a column, tap on the letter at the top of one of the columns. It will automatically select the entire column.
- A menu bar will pop up at the top. Tap on “Insert.”
A brand new blank column will appear instantly, and you can proceed to enter the necessary data.
How to Add a Column in Excel on an iPhone
All Office mobile apps, including Excel, are identical whether you’re using them on an Android phone or iPhone.
Microsoft has done an excellent job keeping all the functionality of Excel and other apps intuitive, regardless of the device you’re using. So, to reiterate, this is how you add a column in Excel if you’re an iPhone user:
- Open Excel app on your iPhone and select a workbook.
- Select a column by tapping on the letter of the column.
- When a pop-up menu appears, tap “Insert.”
However, there is another way to achieve the same goal. You can try this as well:
- Select an entire column.
- Tap on the upward arrow at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the “Insert & Delete” option.
- Finally, tap “Insert Columns.”
Regardless of which option you choose to apply; another column will appear on the left side of the selected column instantly.
How to Add Column in Excel on an iPad
Sometimes, using an iPad to manage Excel spreadsheets is more convenient when you’re on the go. The screen is bigger and allows users to interpret data more efficiently.
If you have used Excel on iPhone before, you’ll be pleased to know that the app functions identically on the iPad. There are two ways to add a new column in Excel on an iPad.
The first option is to:
- Tap on the letter of a single column and select it.
- Then, tap on the “Insert” option from the menu bar that has appeared.
The other method is to tap select the column and then:
- Tap on the small upward arrow at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Select the “Insert & Delete” option followed by “Insert Columns.”
Note: When using Excel mobile app on any device, you can also add multiple columns simultaneously. For example, if you select three columns at once and tap on “Insert Columns,” Excel will create three new columns.
Mastering the Excel Basics
An experienced Excel guru might not even think twice when adding a new column or a new row in Excel, but navigating through it can be more than a challenge for Excel novices.
It’s easy to lose track of all the rows and columns, so pinning down these basics will go a long way towards getting your spreadsheets formatted just right. Adding new rows, formatting cells, deleting, and hiding items is the foundation for becoming proficient in Excel.
What are your Excel skills? Are you a pro user or just learning the ropes? Let us know in the comments section below.