How to Make Your Profile Private on Facebook
Facebook is, by default, set to make all your information public. But what if you want to keep your profile private and have more control over what other Facebook users, who aren’t your friends, can see on your profile? Is it possible to change your account’s default settings?
If you’ve been wondering how to make your Facebook profile private, you’ve come to the right place. Keep reading to find out more.
How to Make a Facebook Profile Private
If you want to make your Facebook profile private via a browser, here’s what you should do:
- Open the browser on your computer and go to the Facebook page.
- Log in to your account.
- Look for the arrow icon on the top right of the screen.
- Tap on “Settings.”
- Look at the menu on the left.
- Press “Privacy.” Doing so will open the “Privacy” tab on the right.
- You can now change your privacy settings for different features. For instance, choose who can see your posts, who can see your friends list, etc.
- Adjust the settings to suit your needs. To do this, tap on the blue “Edit” button next to the feature.
How to Make Your Profile Picture Private on Facebook
When Facebook users check out your profile, the first thing they see is your profile picture. To change who can see your profile picture, here’s what you should do:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Tap on your profile photo on the top right of the screen.
- Click on the “Photos” tab below your profile photo.
- Select “Albums.”
- Choose “Profile Pictures.”
- Click on your profile picture.
- Tap on the three dot menu on the right side of the picture.
- Choose “Edit audience” from the drop-down menu.
- Adjust the settings. You can choose whether you want only certain people to see your photo, only your friends, etc.
How to Make Your Profile Private on the Facebook App
Those who usually use Facebook on their phone, and want to make their profile private, should follow the steps below:
- Launch the “Facebook” app on your phone.
- Tap on the three line menu. Depending on the phone, it’ll be in the top right side of the screen or the bottom right.
- Scroll down to “Settings and Privacy.”
- Tap on the “Settings” tab.
- Under “Privacy, “click on “Privacy settings.”
- Tap on “Check a few important settings.”
- In “Privacy Checkup,” choose “Who can see what you share.”
- Tap “Continue.”
- Scroll down to “Friends and Following” and tap on the tab next to both options. Select “Friends.” Doing so means only your friends on Facebook will see your list of friends.
- Tap “Next.”
- Click on the buttons next to “Future posts” and “Stories” and change to “Friends.”
- Tap “Next.”
How to Make Facebook Profile Private on iPhone and Android
If you have an iPhone and want to make your Facebook profile private, refer to the steps above.
How to Make Facebook Profile Private on Android
Those who have an Android phone can follow the same steps as iPhone users to make their Facebook profile private. Check them out in the section above.
How to Make Facebook Profile Private from Non-Friends
What if you want to hide your Facebook profile content from those who aren’t your friends? How can you do this? Simple, just follow these steps carefully:
- Log in to Facebook on your browser.
- Click on the arrow icon on the upper right part of the screen.
- Select “Settings and Privacy.”
- Choose “Settings.”
- Click on “Privacy” from the menu on the right.
- Under “Your Activity,” you’ll see “Who can see your future posts?”
- Tap on the “Edit” button next to it.
- Click on “Public” and select “Friends.”
We’ve covered the most common issues regarding Facebook privacy. However, if you’re interested in learning more, check out some further questions and answers in the next section.
How to Make Your Facebook Account More Private?
If you want to make your Facebook account more private, it’s a good idea to start by changing who can see your future posts. For example, you can hide your birthday, relationship status, friends list, limit friend requests to certain people, keep photos private, etc.
How Do I Set Up a Private Account on Facebook?
To set up a private account on Facebook, you simply need to change your privacy settings. Refer to this article to find out how to do so on your computer or phone.
How Can I Make My Facebook Profile Completely Private?
If you want to have a completely private Facebook profile, make sure that all settings where you can choose between “Friends” and “Public” are set to “Friends.” This includes your birthday, post visibility, profile picture, email address, relationship status, etc.
Maintain Your Facebook Privacy
It’s relatively simple to make your Facebook profile private. Simply follow the steps we’ve provided in this article, and you’ll have no issues.
What is your reason for making your Facebook profile private? Let us know in the comments section below.