Should You Delete and Relist on Facebook Marketplace? Maybe
Deleting and relisting through Facebook Marketplace is a beneficial strategy to return your item to the top of the listing page where potential buyers can see it. You may want to use this feature for multiple reasons, including broader reach and better engagement. However, finding this option and knowing when to use it effectively may be confusing.
In this article, you’ll learn why to delete and relist an item and how the process works.
Why Delete and Relist on Facebook Marketplace
Deleting and then relisting your post has multiple benefits that can result in a faster, more efficient sale. Below are some of the reasons why you may want to do so:
- You want to make edits to your listing. In the case of typos, price issues, and erroneous information, deleting and relisting will allow you to make the necessary edits before your listing goes public again.
- You want to push the visibility of your listing. If nobody engages with your listing, it might be pushed down to the bottom of the page. Facebook Marketplace pushes it to the top by deleting and then relisting it. It counts as a new item since it’s technically a different listing.
- Preference for different posting times. Platforms gain traffic during certain hours and days of the week. By deleting your post and then relisting it, you can ensure you receive more engagement during these specific time frames. For example, Facebook Marketplace is the busiest from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, especially on Wednesdays, while traffic is at its lowest on Sundays.
How to Delete and Relist on Facebook Marketplace
There isn’t a specific “Delete and Relist” option or button on any Facebook app or browser. Instead, you can go through the complete process by following the steps below:
- Log into your Facebook account and select the “Marketplace” option from the left-hand menu. It should be the icon with a blue tent next to it.
- Select the “Selling” option and locate the listing or item you want to relist. Select “Delete”
- Go back to the Marketplace options and choose “Create a Listing.” Fill out all the necessary information for your listing.
When making the new edited listing for your Facebook Marketplace post, use the updated information and double-check before posting. Input the same information as the previous post to refresh the listing and gain visibility. You can copy and paste your listing information on a separate document if you have trouble remembering the description before deleting it.
How to Make a Listing on Facebook Marketplace
To make a listing on Facebook Marketplace, you need to input general information on your product so buyers can make an informed decision.
Here’s how to make a listing on Facebook Marketplace while on the Facebook app:
- Tap on the three-lines menu from the upper right-hand corner and select the “Marketplace” option.
- Select the “Sell” option and then the “Items” option.
- You’ll then be prompted to take a photo of the item in question or upload a picture from your device.
- Enter the price of your item and the relevant details you think the buyer should know. This includes quality, features, material, etc.
- Select “Publish” once you’ve reviewed the relevant information.
Here’s how to make a listing in your PC browser:
- Log into your account, and select the “Marketplace” option from the left-hand menu.
- Select the “Create new listing” option and then “Item for sale.”
- You can enter the price, relevant information, and a picture of the item from your desktop or laptop.
- Select “Next” and then “Publish” to make your listing public to potential buyers.
When entering information about your listing, try and make it as detailed as possible. Potential buyers will want to know about the condition and any particular specifications. Don’t use stock photos or pictures of the product from the company for the picture of the listing. Take the pictures yourself so the item’s condition is apparent.
How to Edit a Listing on Facebook Marketplace
Deleting and relisting isn’t the only way to correct a mistake about your item. If you’re not that concerned about visibility, you can always edit your listing to update relevant information and modify the details.
Here’s how to edit your listing:
- Select the “Marketplace” option from the left menu of your Facebook feed.
- Select “Selling” and then select “your listings.”
- After locating the listing, choose “Edit Listing.”
- Facebook will prompt you to the information section on your listing. Fill out any changes you need to implement and then select “Update.”
Here’s how to edit listings if you’re using the Facebook app:
- Select the right-hand menu with the three lines and then select the “Marketplace” option. You may need to like “See More” before the option becomes visible.
- Select “Your Listings” and then “More.”
- Select “Edit Listing” and update the necessary information.
- Select “Save.”
How to Mark an Item as Sold on Facebook Marketplace
Once a transaction has been completed, you may want to mark your listing as sold to keep other buyers from contacting you. This will notify any potential buyer that the item has been sold. It will also make the listing invisible to Facebook Marketplace users.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Select the Marketplace option from the left menu and select “Your listings.”
- After locating the listing for the sale, select the “Mark as sold” option.
Once a seller marks an item as sold, the buyer and question will receive an automated notification from Facebook asking them to rate and review the item.
Are there things I can’t sell on Facebook Marketplace?
Yes, avoid any items that go against Facebook Marketplace’s policies and rules. This includes any illegal substances and services, anything that isn’t a physical product, healthcare items, or animals.
Why won’t Facebook Marketplace approve my listing?
Facebook Marketplace doesn’t approve listings that go against its terms and conditions, policies, or rules. Likewise, services, before and after pictures, and mismatched photos and descriptions on listings won’t be approved as a listing on Facebook Marketplace.
Why isn’t Facebook marketplace available to me?
Facebook Marketplace is constantly developing and isn’t available in all countries. Also, the e-commerce platform isn’t available for accounts less than 30 days old and you must also be 18 or older to use the service actively.
Using Your Listings Wisely
When changing your listings, Facebook Marketplace allows you to delete them, edit them, and even repost them for increased visibility. If you’re using your browser, you can find your listings from the left-hand menu under “Marketplace.” Alternatively, you can find your listings on the three-lined menu to the right using the app.
Have you ever deleted and reposted your listing using Facebook Marketplace? Did you use any of the tips featured in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.