How to Block an Email Address in Gmail
Gmail swept the world by storm as one of the leading mail clients trusted by users across the globe. However, many people who use Gmail tend to have trouble finding some of the more hidden features of the service, like unsubscribing from newsletters, creating filters, adding a signature, and blocking an email address.
Emailing has become a vital part of communication, so it’s essential to know of all the ways you could be customizing your inbox, and especially getting rid of unwanted senders. This can be managed by blocking the specific senders of your choosing. If you’re getting some unwanted spam or simply want to block a specific sender, read on to find out more.
How to Block an Email Address in Gmail on an iPhone
The Gmail app for iOS devices provides a wide range of tools and features to help you manage all your blocking-related needs. Follow the simple steps below if you’re using Gmail on your iPhone and want to block certain emails.
- Launch the Gmail app home screen.
- Locate an email from the sender you would like to block in your inbox.
- Tap on the email and let it expand.
- Once you’ve opened the message, locate the three dots next to the sender’s name in the right corner.
- Tap on the three dots.
- Find the option “Block sender[at]email.com” and tap on it.
How tHow to Block an Email Address in Gmail on an Android
You don’t have to sift through unwanted emails in your inbox. If you prefer to use the Gmail app on your Android device, here’s how to do it:
- Open the Gmail app.
- Find a specific email from the sender you are interested in adding to your block list in your inbox.
- Tap on the email and open it.
- Find the three dots mentioned in the upper right corner and tap on them.
- Tap on “Block sender[at]email.com.”
How to Block anHow to Block an Email Address in Gmail on a PC
If you prefer working from a desktop environment, there’s an easy way to block specific senders. Check out the simple steps needed to get you started:
- On your preferred web browser, log onto the Gmail website.
- Find the specific email in your inbox sent from the address you’d like to block and open the message.
- Select the three dots in the right corner.
- Click on “Block sender[at]email.com.”
How to Block an Email Address in Gmail on an iPad
Using Gmail on an iPad is convenient when you’re on the go. If you want to block an email address, you don’t need to locate a desktop and give up the freedom that iPads give you. Block email addresses directly from your device with these steps:
- Launch the Gmail app.
- Once you get to your inbox, find a specific email from a sender you would like to block.
- Locate three dots on the right corner and tap on them.
- Click “Block sender[at]email.com.”
How to Block an Email Address in Gmail Without Opening It
If you’re looking for a way to avoid opening the messages you’re not interested in receiving, there are a couple of workarounds for it. Gmail has a “Filters” feature that will automatically send specified sender emails to the Spam folder. All you have to do to create the filter is follow these steps:
- Log onto the Gmail website with your account.
- Click on the tool icon close to your profile photo.
- Select “See All Settings.”
- Once you enter the full settings menu, locate and click “Filters and blocked addresses” in the main settings tab.
- Here you’ll see all your blocked addresses and previously created filters. If there are none yet, click on “Create a new filter.”
- The pop-up window will have empty bars to list the sender’s email and optional details.
- Type in the email you would like to block.
- Click on “Create filter.”
- A second window will pop up asking you what specific folder you’d like to send the email to automatically.
- Click on “Delete it.”
You should know that after blocking a sender, they will not know of this. Their sent emails will be automatically sent to their outbox on their end. However, they won’t get a notification informing them of the real issue at hand, which ensures your privacy.
If you are still getting unwanted emails from senders already on your block list, try blocking them again or contact Google Support.
Organization Is Key
It’s essential to keep our inbox as clean as possible. The more spam that accumulates, the more taxing it becomes to declutter it all. Luckily there’s a workaround to everything these days, and Gmail offers a wide range of features that make our lives easier.
Do you utilize Gmail’s block and filter features? How diligent are you about adding new addresses to your block list? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
4 thoughts on “How to Block an Email Address in Gmail”
chosing BLOCK from the drop down list. In HOTMAIL.
That GMAIL forces you to open a potentially damaging spam email is NOT acceptable.
Get it togethet google or you will be dumped
Comments are closed.