How To Change Your Google Calendar Color Schemes
Working on a tight schedule can be very overwhelming. Some activities can overlap, making it hard to prioritize them, and leaving you stuck running from one errand to another.
Luckily, Google Calendar has enabled you to color code your activities, thus making it easier to navigate through your schedule. You can assign a color to different tasks that are key to you, for example, marking all activities of high importance in yellow. Then, when you open the calendar, you’ll easily see which tasks you should focus on first.
If you want to find out more about what color schemes are included in Google Calendar and how to navigate through them, keep reading.
How to Change Colors in Google Calendar on Your Desktop
Having a way of marking key activities and to-dos has never been easier. You can make urgent assignments red or the fun ones pink, etc. It is there to help you see at a glance what you have in store for the day or week, and on which you should concentrate first.
And coloring them is, of course, very manageable, like most activities in the Google Calendar.
Just follow these simple steps:
- Open Google Calendar.
- On the bottom left, locate “My calendars.“ There you can see your tasks, reminders, etc.
- Click on the three dots on the right of the category you would like to color.
- Choose the color you want to apply to the task. This will apply this color to all entries in this group.
However, if you do wish to change the color of a specific event/task/reminder, you can do that by:
- Find the task/event/reminder you want to change on the calendar.
- Right-click and pick a color.
How to Change Colors in the Google Calendar App on Your Phone
If you prefer using your phone instead of the computer, that’s not a problem. You can do the same things using that device.
So if you want to keep your Google Calendar color-coordinated, making it easier for you to navigate through your days, you can change the colors of tasks/events/reminders on your phone with these steps:
- Open your Google Calendar app.
- Go to the top left corner and click on the three lines.
- Choose “Settings“ from the bottom of the menu.
- Choose the type of activity (event, task, birthday, etc.) you want to change color and click on it.
- A the top of the menu, you will be presented with its current color. Click on it, and you will be offered other colors from which you can choose.
- The chosen color will then be applied to all entries in this category.
You can change the colors of specific entries as well. You just have to:
- Find the entry you want to change in your calendar.
- Open it.
- Click on the “pencil“ icon on the top right.
- Find “Default color“ closer to the end of the menu.
- Click “Save.“
- If the event is a recurring event (like a birthday), you can color a one-time event or every subsequent occurrence of that birthday as well.
And voila, now your calendar can be as colorful as your personality!
How to Set Your Google Calendar to a Custom Color of Your Choice on Your Desktop
As previously explained, Google Calendar lets you choose individual colors for your different types of tasks and events. It offers you a fixed set of colors to choose from, predetermined by Google.
However, some users might want their personalities to shine through, even when it comes to colors in their calendars.
So, if you are one of those determined users, here are a few simple steps to choosing the specific shade you are looking for in your Google Calendar:
- Open Google Calendar.
- On the lower left corner, locate “My calendars.”
- Click on the three dots which appear on the right when you hover your mouse on the desired item.
- Under the offered set of colors, locate the “plus“ sign.
- Once you click on it, you will see a box with gradients of the current color and a slide bar underneath.
- Tap the box to select the shade you desire or move the slider underneath to create your desired color.
Now, your possibilities are endless – you can choose the exact color you desire.
Advice on Choosing a Color Scheme for Your Google Calendar
You might just be a person who loves everything neat, color-coordinated, and undoubtedly organized. And with Google Calendar, you can do just that.
Google Calendar lets you choose a color for your entries to quickly identify them by type, whether it is a reminder, birthday, task, or event. It even lets you choose a color for single entries, regardless of the group to which they belong.
If you are using Google Calendar on your desktop, as opposed to your phone, you can even pick a custom shade of your favorite color using the gradient selector.
But how do you not end up in a colorful mess?
One piece of advice would be to try to use only a few colors. If there are four types of entries, then stick to four colors, for one each.
Another would be to create a monochromatic calendar, which would have multiple shades of a single color of your choice.
These could be:
- All shades of blue
- Black and white with shades of grey
- Roses and violets
- All shades of green to bring a sense of calmness into your messy schedule
- Shades of orange
As you can tell, the possibilities are endless. Our advice is not to overdo it to prevent getting overwhelmed with so many colors you forget their intended category.
Why Have So Many Colors in Your Google Calendar
Some might wonder why complicate things and add even more colors to a very simple layout.
While this might just be a preference thing, there certainly are numerous users who find selecting colors and choosing a color scheme very helpful in using Google Calendar.
It can help some organize themselves better and have a clearer picture of their day by just taking a glance at the calendar. They already know which color represents what kind of obligation, so they can easily tell which tasks they have yet to fulfill.
There is also the aesthetic aspect, where the calendar simply looks fun and organized and makes tasks seem less boring.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference and whether color is even a factor in accomplishing your daily tasks and obligations.
How to Make Changes to an Event You Created in Google Calendar
You’ve learned how to implement colors into your Google Calendar. But what if you want to make a change to the category of an entry (and, subsequently, its color)?
Here’s how to do it:
- Open Google Calendar.
- Find the event you wish to edit and click on it.
- Click on “Edit.”
- Make changes that you desire.
- Click “Save.”
The changes may include the time, location, etc.
Are You a Google Calendar Person?
With Google Calendar, you can keep track of your events and obligations and color-code them for even faster location and access.
The site helps you create events, tasks, and even reminders to keep you on top of things. And all these can be marked in the color of your choice. This further helps with distinguishing and prioritizing your time and tasks.
Do you use Google Calendar? Do you color-code tasks or do you like keeping things simple? Tell us in the comments section below.