Installing Kodi on Android TV: Turning Your Android TV box into a Kodi Streamer
Kodi is a fantastic way to stream content to your TV from a computer or phone, and using Google’s Android TV is an excellent way to turn your basic TV into a “smart” one.
While streaming Kodi to Chromecast is a little tricky, getting Kodi onto your Android TV is an easy task. Here’s how you can get Kodi installed on your Android TV and start streaming your stored content onto the big screen.
Note: Many addons contain content that isn’t officially licensed, and accessing such material could be illegal. If the content is free but looks too good to be true, then it probably is.
Option 1: Installing Kodi from Play Store
- Download the Kodi app on your Android TV using Google Play.
- Configure the Kodi app to see the content you have stored on the network. If the installation is successful, you are ready to use Kodi on your Chromecast.
Option 2: Installing Kodi from the Official Website
- If Kodi is not available in the Play Store, go to Android TV’s Settings panel and scroll to Security & Restrictions.
- Turn on Unknown sources to allow for installing apps outside of the Google Play Store.
- On a PC, download Kodi for Android from Kodi’s download page. Depending on your hardware, you need to select the right version.
- Copy the downloaded .apk file to Google Drive or a USB drive and plug it into your Android TV.
- Using the TV, browse and access the .apk file using the Files by Google app or another file manager of choice. NOTE: Be careful when choosing a file browser since copycat apps with spyware and background adware are abundant!
- Open the .apk file to install Kodi, and follow the prompts. Kodi will function the same as downloading from the Google Play Store, except it will prompt you for security authorization.
- Configure Kodi so you can see the content you have stored in the network.
As previously mentioned, many add-ons contain content that isn’t officially licensed. Accessing such content could infringe on copyrights or lead to illegal use. The user’s responsibility is to comply with all applicable laws in their country regarding data and content.
Now that you have Kodi installed on your HDTV, you can enjoy playing around with it and explore the features and options to make it yours! It also allows profiles so other users can customize it to suit their needs. Leave your comments below on how you’re using Kodi on your Android TV.