How to Change your Name in GroupMe
In a society where everyone is busy with work, it can be challenging to stay in touch with all of your friends and loved ones at the same time. GroupMe is a network that allows you to communicate and keep in contact with all of your friends, family, and coworkers in one place. You can create a group chat and add participants where all can read one message.
All participants in a group chat can see your display name. In addition to this, group chats also allow GroupMe users to set their own unique nickname, which can vary from chat to chat – cool, right? But what if you just started using GroupMe and you’re not well-versed with the app’s features?
Worry not because we have got you covered! We have put together the most straightforward steps to change your name and modify your nickname on the GroupMe app.
How to Change Your Name in the GroupMe App on an iPhone
GroupMe works slightly differently depending on the device that you’re using. To change your name in the GroupMe App on an IOS, you need to:
- Open the GroupMe app on your iOS.
- Tap the “Navigation” bar or three horizontal lines at the top left corner of the screen. If you have an iPad, select the chat button at the top of the screen.
- At the top of the left side, tap your profile photo. It will take you to a new page with your profile info.
- Once you are at the profile info, tap the “Name” field. Below your profile picture, this section displays your current name. You may change your name by tapping it.
- Now you can edit your name and input what you want.
- Tap the blue “Done” button at the bottom right of the screen, and you are good to go.
How to Change Your Nickname on the iPhone
Changing your nickname while using an iPhone running GroupMe is pretty straightforward. Go to the chat where you want to change your nickname and then:
- Tap the conversation title at the top right of the screen.
- Select the “Settings” tab.
- Click on “Edit Your Profile.”
- Enter your new name after tapping “Nickname.”
- Do not forget to tap “Done.”
- Click “Save.”
How to Change Your Name in the GroupMe App on an Android Device
Changing your name in the GroupMe app on Android is similar to an iOS device with slight changes. Follow the steps below to change your name on Android in GroupMe:
- Open the GroupMe app on your Android.
- Tap the “Menu” icon at the bottom right of the app.
- Click on “Edit profile.”
- You will see a blue-colored “Edit” icon at the mid-right of the screen. Click on it.
- Just below your avatar, click on your name.
- Edit it or delete it to write a new one, and you are done.
How to Change Your Nickname on an Android Device
GroupMe on Android has a different layout than on iOS devices. If you want to change your GroupMe nickname on an Android, then follow these simple steps:
- Go to the conversation where you want to change the Nickname.
- Select the group’s avatar.
- Select the “Settings” button.
- Click on the “Edit your profile” button.
- Tap on the area and enter your new name in “Edit nickname.”
- Don’t forget to select “Save.”
How to Change Your Name in GroupMe on a PC
Changing your name in the GroupMe app on a PC is easier than you think. Here is what you have to do:
- Open the GroupMe app on your PC.
- Tap the “Navigation” bar at the top left corner of the screen.
- Click on your name and avatar.
- Select the pencil icon just above your avatar.
- Below your avatar, fill in your name or edit the current name and press “Enter.”
How to Change Your Nickname on a PC
Talking to your friends using GroupMe on PC can let you edit your chat nickname in a few quick steps. You need to:
- Click the conversation title at the top of the page.
- Click on the conversation you wish to change Nickname in.
- Select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Make changes to your nickname by clicking “Edit.“
- In the Nickname area, type your new name.
- Check the box next to the “Done” button and “Enter.”
Will it notify other users when I change my name in GroupMe?
Yes, GroupMe does notify every contact about your name change. You will be informed whenever your avatar changes or someone sends you a single emoji in a text. You will be alerted whenever someone enters the GroupMe app.
Can I change my name in just one group in GroupMe?
Yes, the GroupMe site comes with an exciting “nicknames” option. These nicknames are separate from your real names, and you can change or edit them anytime. You can set individual aliases for every chat and group and change them whenever you want.
Express Yourself With an Awesome Nickname
Your display name is the first point of information that another person sees on a messaging app. You may want to be formal or informal, depending on the group. If you’re connected to your colleagues, maybe you want to keep things formal, but connections with your closest friends may call for a cooler-sounding display name. One day you like to be called “Harald Arkinshield,” and another day, you want to be called “Dr. Harald, MD.” – GroupMe enables you to change your name any time you want.
Nicknames add a unique touch to a conversation. They are also great ice-breakers since they can be insightful as well to start a conversation. For each chat on the GroupMe platform, you can choose a nickname as funny as “Cornets” or something cuter like “Sparkles” – setting a different nickname for different chats is one of the highlights of the GroupMe platform.
How often do you change your name on GroupMe? What cool-sounding nicknames have you come up with? Let us know in the comments section below.